• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    1-6 or a 1-8 would work as long as you plan on keeping it within 500 yards. You will have to tell us about your budget if you want specific recommendations.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'd go with a Vortex 1x6, or if you want more magnification like up to a 8 or 10 I'd look at the 1x8 trijicon or one of the x10 night force offerings. The lower power options on all of those would be nice. And in my eyes I can't see needing anything beyond 10x either. it'll take you all the way out IMO for what that rifle was made for.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    When Trijicon announced their Accupower 1-8, the Scar Heavy was the first rifle that came to mind. It can be had for a little over $1200.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For under 1k I would look at the PST 1-6. If you can stretch the budget, I would look at the accupower 1-8.

My Scar 17 is my favorite rifle, but I struggle with the optics selection for it. The gun was designed as a battle rifle for exactly what your talking about "run and gun out to 500". Problem with mine is it shoots to straight, and I end up doing other things with it. I originally out the Razor 1-6 on mine, as my "If I had 1 rifle to last for the rest of my life" type rifle. That scope didnt last long before I realized this thing shot almost as well as my match rifles, so not wanting to dump the original plan for the rifle I swapped the 1-6 for a 2.5-10. Then I started using it at even longer ranges, so I ended up with a 4-16 on it as now its a hunting rifle. For me with the rifles capabilities, the 2.5-10 was the sweet spot. Rifles capabilities have nothing to do with how you will use it, and your use trumps capabilities, which is why I would go 1-6. The reason my rifle went through so many changes is because as I learned capabilities I modified how I used it.

Hopefully that made sense.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    If I was to get a 1-8 and a less expensive optic for my AK and AR at the same time are their shops that would cut me a deal?

Will the 1-8 handle battle rifle abuse?

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Agreed, maybe take a look at a used vortex razor gen II 1-6? Great glass, and they probably can be had for under $1000 with a mount if you find a good deal.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    For under 1k I would look at the PST 1-6. If you can stretch the budget, I would look at the accupower 1-8.

My Scar 17 is my favorite rifle, but I struggle with the optics selection for it. The gun was designed as a battle rifle for exactly what your talking about "run and gun out to 500". Problem with mine is it shoots to straight, and I end up doing other things with it. I originally out the Razor 1-6 on mine, as my "If I had 1 rifle to last for the rest of my life" type rifle. That scope didnt last long before I realized this thing shot almost as well as my match rifles, so not wanting to dump the original plan for the rifle I swapped the 1-6 for a 2.5-10. Then I started using it at even longer ranges, so I ended up with a 4-16 on it as now its a hunting rifle. For me with the rifles capabilities, the 2.5-10 was the sweet spot. Rifles capabilities have nothing to do with how you will use it, and your use trumps capabilities, which is why I would go 1-6. The reason my rifle went through so many changes is because as I learned capabilities I modified how I used it.

Hopefully that made sense.

I had very similar experience to yours. Started with Razor gen2 1-6. Very good scope and does well for Scar17.
    Then went to Nightforce NSX 2.5-10. 2.5-10 i found does well for me out to 600yds. Much beyond that range, short barrel 308 is lacking.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I had very similar experience to yours. Started with Razor gen2 1-6. Very good scope and does well for Scar17.
    Then went to Nightforce NSX 2.5-10. 2.5-10 i found does well for me out to 600yds. Much beyond that range, short barrel 308 is lacking.
    I bet if you get out and shoot it a bit more you'll be just fine going beyond 600, but who knows I don't own a scar. I do know that a 16" bolt gun can do just fine beyond that though.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I bet if you get out and shoot it a bit more you'll be just fine going beyond 600, but who knows I don't own a scar. I do know that a 16" bolt gun can do just fine beyond that though.

Yes, you are correct. Range i shoot goes from 600 to 880 then to 1k. I load the hornady 168 and would have to load pressures somewhat high (and kept cartridge length mag length) to to get them to 880 while staying above transonic. So i just kept it to 600 and used other guns for beyond. I do remember my load would have worked well at 800, if thats where the range had a backstop at.
    So yes you are correct. I just kept at 600 for so long, thats what i thought of it as out of habit.

Top Bottom