• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I just got a Snagmag magazine pouch for my small SIG P938 9mm single-stack EDC gun based on some comments in this forum. I have been using it daily for a week or so, and thought I would share my initial thoughts.

Also, INGO user @Dave M also wrote up a nice review here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/309390-snagmag-has-anyone-got-one-yet.html

Unfortunately, my experiences were slightly different than Dave's, and I will share those now.

I do want to mention that my opinion is based on how I use and wear the item with my equipment. A different-sized magazine for a different gun might make all the difference in the world in the functionality.

After going to the Snagmag website to check these guys out, I was happily surprised to find my model of gun/magazine listed (SIG P938). Most other mag carriers that I searched did not include my gun as an option. I use the "extended" SIG mags which hold 7 rounds instead of 6, and they had *both* styles listed on their ordering page. Nice.

I placed my order, and once again I was happily surprised when the thing showed up instantly (barely after pressing the SEND key on my computer!). I was excited to get started and took some time to inspect the item and also to read the instructions for best operation.

There is small lip-style hook on one edge of the mag that is designed to catch on your pocket when you draw your mag out. This lip keeps the mag holder in your pocket while you draw out the magazine. It is a similar concept to the "Emmerson Wave" blade-opening knife design that I am very familiar with.

Here you can see the hook that I am referring to:

(Since losing Photobucket, I am having to attach images from my computer... sorry. I need to find another service)

Snagmag 3.jpg

For those that are not aware of the overall design, these mag carriers are made to be inserted into a pocket (or IWB, which I hated) and has a small clip that holds the carrier in place, similar to a pocket knife. The philosophy is that it is made to look like a pocket knife, so no one knows that you are carrying a spare mag (and therefore a gun).

Snagmag 4.jpg Snagmag 5.jpg

First thing I noticed when using the Snagmag is that my magazine seemed to fit fairly snugly, but because the mag holder is somewhat flexible, it is not overly tight. Unfortunately, this has led to a few instances where the mag actually came out of the carrier in my pocket. This is NOT good! Dave M did not mention any of this in his review, so maybe this is a function of my mag design when combined with the Snagmag design, or maybe it is just my body build and how I sit and move around, who knows? This only happened a few times (maybe 2-3X), but is was enough in a short enough period to worry me.

Snagmag 1.jpg Snagmag 2.jpg

The drawing mechanism is smooth and the mag is easily accessible, I like that. After just a few days of practicing my draws, I found that I could easily and quickly access the magazine (as long as the magazine was still in the pouch and not rattling around loose in my pocket!). The hook is designed so that with some backwards motion during the draw, the hook snags on your pocket lip (hence the name "Snagmag") so that the mag pouch stays in your pocket and the magazine comes out into your hand. Not difficult at all, but it does take some practice to get it right, otherwise you are going to end up with both the mag *and* the pouch in your hand in a stressful situation.

It is also easily concealed, and I really like that as well. I does look just like I am carrying another knife in my pocket, although it might seem overkill to be carrying a knife in both front pockets, no one seemed to notice or care.

Having another bulky item in my pocket does not thrill me, and I would much prefer something IWB which they Snagmag folks claim this can do as well. I tried it, and I took it off within 15 minutes. I hated it as an IWB pouch, it dug into my skin and was very uncomfortable.

When carried in the conventional manner (pocket carry), it is difficult to get things out of your pocket when you need something. I am pretty used to having my knife in my front right pocket along with my keys, but anything else I carry goes into the front left pocket (small Swiss Army knife, Chapstick, coins, Kleenex, etc.). Having the Snagmag in that pocket made it fairly difficult to retrieve things from that pocket (especially Kleenex that constantly snagged on the mag holder and would come out in shreds).

The build and design of the product looks good and appears robust, but as I mentioned earlier, it is also fairly flexible, and I think that added to the problem of the mag falling out of the pouch and into my pocket.

Another interesting occurrence was that one time I found a free bullet in my pocket one night when I was emptying my pockets! Now how the heck did that happen??? The mag was still in the carrier, but I can't remember now if that was one of the days when the mag fell out of the pouch.

Overall, my opinion is that the Snagmag is not the best solution for me, although it does have some cool features. I would suggest that others might not have the same issues as I have had, and it may be just fine depending on your mag, your body style, and your personal preferences.

PROS:
    • Nice design, robust and well-built
    • Very concealable and well hidden
    • Easy and fast access to my spare magazine with some practice (most important feature overall)

CONS:
    • Mag falls out of pouch in pocket (at least *my* mag did)
    • Another bulky item in pocket
    • Hard to get other items out of pocket with the Snagmag in there
    • IWB implementation is not very comfortable

I guess if I had to rate it, it would rank as 3 stars out of 5. I am still looking for my concealed carry mag as this is not the solution I was hoping it would be.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The problem with the mag coming out on its own is likely due to the floorplate on your mag. The snagmags are designed for the standard capacity mags, eg the 6 round Sig mag. I have a snagmag for a Ruger LCP. Holds the standard 6 round magazine firmly and reliably. I however carry an extended 7 round magazine which, while functional, does not lock in quite as firmly. I have experienced the mag coming out once when driving, I found the mag between the seat and the door.

The standard 938 mag has a flat floorplate, doesn't it? If so, try carrying the mag with the flat floorplate.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    The problem with the mag coming out on its own is likely due to the floorplate on your mag. The snagmags are designed for the standard capacity mags, eg the 6 round Sig mag. I have a snagmag for a Ruger LCP. Holds the standard 6 round magazine firmly and reliably. I however carry an extended 7 round magazine which, while functional, does not lock in quite as firmly. I have experienced the mag coming out once when driving, I found the mag between the seat and the door.

The standard 938 mag has a flat floorplate, doesn't it? If so, try carrying the mag with the flat floorplate.

Yeah, you may be right, but Snagmag offers both versions of their product, one for the standard 6-round mag, and one for the extended mag with the floor plate.

Just for the heck of it, I will try the 6-round mag, it is a good idea.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    As an update, and a not very happy one...

I was at Conner Prairie last weekend for a "Big Bad Voodoo Daddy" concert (YouTube them, they are awesome), and I lost my stinking Snagmag along with a 7-round Sig magazine full of bullets.

Don't ask me how I lost it, it felt secure in my pocket, but when I got home, it was gone. I searched my car, outside in the driveway, etc. Gone. Ticked off.

That was an experiment gone bad. I just ordered a Foxx IWB carrier and I am moving on from the Snagmag for good.

Top Bottom