• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    For the last couple of years I've been using a Gum Creek holster that mounts under the steering wheel of my GMC Sierra. It's not bad, but I've never been entirely happy with the way it fits. It's a little sloppy, really no way to cinch it up tight, and sometimes I move the seat back a little further than I normally would so I don't bump my knee on my piece. Loose fitting is my main issue with it, although for accessibility it's hard to beat. More than once at the car wash the guys have left it on the seat (gun removed, of course) because they knocked it loose and couldn't figure out how to put it back.

rimg.php

Today, I started looking for something different again, because I'm getting ready to put a reflex sight on my Glock, the piece that I usually carry in the vehicle holster. So I'm going to have to find a different holster anyway. I'm hoping I found a better solution. Magnetic force holsters out of Dallas, TX, https://mag-holster.com/ , offers a magnetic mounting system, looks pretty nice. They also offer magnetic holsters. But for today, I ordered one of these magnetic mounts, and am looking forward to installing it and hoping it gives a cleaner set up than what I currently have. No holster (although they do make them), just a magnetic bar that holds the un-holstered gun tight to the kick panel. Not sure that I like the idea of an un-holstered gun, will have to see how it works. But if it is secure, nobody will see it but me.

It uses a 5/8-inch neodymium rare earth magnet. I spoke to the owner today and he told me its rated for either 25 or 30 lbs (forgot sorry), so should hold the gun solid even on bumpy roads or RR crossings.

I ordered the mag-bar kit this afternoon. Will post some more pics once I have mine installed, but here's a pic from the website:

magbar_zpsqqzwpuad.jpg

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    For the last couple of years I've been using a Gum Creek holster that mounts under the steering wheel of my GMC Sierra. It's not bad, but I've never been entirely happy with the way it fits. It's a little sloppy, really no way to cinch it up tight, and sometimes I move the seat back a little further than I normally would so I don't bump my knee on my piece. Loose fitting is my main issue with it, although for accessibility it's hard to beat. More than once at the car wash the guys have left it on the seat (gun removed, of course) because they knocked it loose and couldn't figure out how to put it back.

[pic deleted]

Today, I started looking for something different again, because I'm getting ready to put a reflex sight on my Glock, the piece that I usually carry in the vehicle holster. So I'm going to have to find a different holster anyway. I'm hoping I found a better solution. Magnetic force holsters out of Dallas, TX, https://mag-holster.com/ , offers a magnetic mounting system, looks pretty nice. They also offer magnetic holsters. But for today, I ordered one of these magnetic mounts, and am looking forward to installing it and hoping it gives a cleaner set up than what I currently have. No holster (although they do make them), just a magnetic bar that holds the un-holstered gun tight to the kick panel. Not sure that I like the idea of an un-holstered gun, will have to see how it works. But if it is secure, nobody will see it but me.

It uses a 5/8-inch neodymium rare earth magnet. I spoke to the owner today and he told me its rated for either 25 or 30 lbs (forgot sorry), so should hold the gun solid even on bumpy roads or RR crossings.

I ordered the mag-bar kit this afternoon. Will post some more pics once I have mine installed, but here's a pic from the website:

magbar_zpsqqzwpuad.jpg

I've always been bothered by magnetic mounts. They're presumptive there's enough steel left to hold onto. With the plethora of the Fantastic Plastic handguns, there's increasingly less ferro-magnetic materials for it to hold onto, and the inverse square law comes into play the deeper into the pistol the steel is (remember: lightweight Aluminum and Titanium alloys are not ferromagnetic). Inverse square law? Twice as far away has 1/4th the attractive force. Three times as far has 1/9th the force. The aspect of them that worries me most is the bump-and-run car-jackings which have become popular in Chicago, deliberately rear-ending you to get you to stop to inspect possible damage. In such an event, the bump can dislodge the pistol from the magnet at a time you could need it most.

John

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    So, with that magnet....the trigger isn't covered?

Are you 100% it'll stay in place in the event of a violent crash/rollover?

Have you considered that the more a gun is "played with" the higher the chances of a negligent discharge? IE - going out of carry holster, into car "holster", then out of car "holster, and then back into carry holster? That's a whole lot of manipulations that need not be done. And each handling of said pistol is another chance for things to go sideways.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Never been a fan of off-body carry. All the reasons mentioned above.

That said, if it is off-body, make it secure. Bolt the holster down, and use some sort of retention. A loaded G23 @ 31 oz. will hit you with 300+ ft-lb of force during a 70 MPH crash.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Seatbelts and coats tend to get in the way, especially in the winter.

Yes, agree. Ive found that under the steering wheel is a good spot for staying clear of those things. Seat belts are an all year issue. I keep the under the steering wheel pistol all year, even when carrying my EDC on a belt holster, just for that reason.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ... Magnetic force holsters out of Dallas, TX, https://mag-holster.com/ , offers a magnetic mounting system, looks pretty nice. They also offer magnetic holsters...

It uses a 5/8-inch neodymium rare earth magnet.

With all the electronics in a car I would be a little concerned about how a strong enough magnet might interact/interfere with all the whiz bang electronic stuff in my car (in addition to your phone, credit cards, key chip...). Just one more thing to think about when choosing where you mount it. I am not expert so proceed as you deem fit.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yet some people don't, hence this thread.

Are you 100% it'll stay in place in the event of a violent crash/rollover?

Have you considered that the more a gun is "played with" the higher the chances of a negligent discharge? IE - going out of carry holster, into car "holster", then out of car "holster, and then back into carry holster? That's a whole lot of manipulations that need not be done. And each handling of said pistol is another chance for things to go sideways.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Heya,

I have a Blackhawk Serpa CQC that has the button that releases the gun from the holster. It uses screws to affix to a couple different kinds of OWB "carriers" (my word, probably the wrong one). Seems to me that you could get an extra set of screws and maybe rig an easy attachment for the kick panel. Heck, might even be able to do the magnet thing, but instead of actually attaching to the gun, rig a complimentary magnet or magnetic plate to attach to the Serpa.

I've thought about doing this... but... you know... another project on the list.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Heya,

I have a Blackhawk Serpa CQC that has the button that releases the gun from the holster. It uses screws to affix to a couple different kinds of OWB "carriers" (my word, probably the wrong one). Seems to me that you could get an extra set of screws and maybe rig an easy attachment for the kick panel. Heck, might even be able to do the magnet thing, but instead of actually attaching to the gun, rig a complimentary magnet or magnetic plate to attach to the Serpa.

I've thought about doing this... but... you know... another project on the list.

Wouldn't your release latch make mounting it problematic? Don't you have to release that with your index finger as you draw? If I'm picturing it right, you'd have to mount it where you could get your finger on the release which would force you to mount in a difficult to operate manner.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wouldn't your release latch make mounting it problematic? Don't you have to release that with your index finger as you draw? If I'm picturing it right, you'd have to mount it where you could get your finger on the release which would force you to mount in a difficult to operate manner.
    Hmmm... so I have a right hand version, so I was thinking it would work in a "palm up" reach with it mounted on the kick plate or bottom of the steering column. That puts the release "down"/on the right (when looking horizontally) at it mounted (not just shaking hands) (sorry, old Bob and Tom joke).

Granted, I haven't spec'd it out or anything, so you could be right. :)

Top Bottom