Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Plinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_N_Stein View Post
    I have an MTEK plate in my vest, which is made in Martinsville, IN. I'll have to find the procedural notice my department put out about which maufacturers were recommended for purchase. There are several options out there. I would definitely stay away from steel plates because of the weight.
    The MTEK plates look like they offer good protection, but they look really pricey.

Curious if anyone has an RMA plate: RMA

I have a VISM poly but am seeing inconsistent test results.

Quote Originally Posted by freekforge View Post
    Im wearing an armor express vest right now and it has a front pocket for an up armor plate. does any one have any recommendations for a rifle plate? i checked out their sight but want to consider all options and see what other guys are wearing. the poly plates are appealing due to the weight but im open to other options as well. So what say you ingo whats a good up armor plate?
    The first question to ask yourself is, "What is your threat" Are you trying to mitigate 30.06 on lonley calls to the boondocks in the middle of the night, or more common tactical rifles like .223 or 7.62x39. Does it matter if the rifle plate stops Green Tip or Steel Core AK? These matter becasue you will be making compromises in weight an/or price.

So, what do you want to stop? What are you wearing now (what level is your soft armor)?

This is the starting point. We can all post our favorite plate, but without knowing what you have (what level soft armor) and what you want to stop, we are all just shouting our favorites, not really what works best for you. Make sense?

Shop online, visit in-person, or call today for Uniforms & Clothing, Duty &
    Tactical Equipment, Hard & Soft Armor, and Fighting Gear.
    Use Coupon Code INGO to receive an additional 10% off
    our already discounted everyday low prices!

SHOP ONLINE:

www.nelsonuniform.com

VISIT:

1133 North Jackson Street
    Greencastle, Indiana 46135

CALL:
    1-800-214-0426

Quote Originally Posted by 1mil-high View Post
    The MTEK plates look like they offer good protection, but they look really pricey.
    My district received them as a gift after Rod Bradway was killed. Buy you have to pay for quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birds Away View Post
    You'e thinking in circles and you have yourself surrounded.

My department only buys us level II soft body armor. I initially upgraded it with hard plates, but after wearing them day after day I began to really hate them. It wasn't just the weight, but loss of some mobility. I decided I needed to compromise and ended up with some 10 X 12 IIIa soft body panels instead. I wear them over my issued level II panels (which I have no idea if it really increases the threat protection having them in conjunction like that) and it is a world nicer.

Level IIIA Hybrid 10 x 12

At around 2 pounds, the Paraclete speed plates plus or the MTEK plates seem like they would be awesome (but still hard armor, which I didn't like wearing day to day). If i had a spare $1000 lying around, I'd give them a try. For now I will stick with the soft armor.

Everyone has an different outlook on armor and you can never have too much. That being said, I did not like walking around all night feeling like I was strapped in a clam shell and opted for soft armor.
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

Curious if anyone has an RMA plate: RMA

I have a VISM poly but am seeing inconsistent test results.
    my cousin is wearing rma plates in his big vest. He seems happy with them. he had the vism plates before and we shot them and they defeated the rounds they were rated for. but like you said i have seen pictures where they didn't stop rifle rounds.

Im honestly not sure what my threat is i just know i have the ability to step up my protection and i would like to. I have a big vest in the trunk but as far as my concealable vest i just want a bit more protection while still being able to wear it for 12 hrs.
    The rifle is the keystone of democracy

Quote Originally Posted by freekforge View Post
    Im honestly not sure what my threat is i just know i have the ability to step up my protection and i would like to. I have a big vest in the trunk but as far as my concealable vest i just want a bit more protection while still being able to wear it for 12 hrs.
    There is a new semi rigid trauma plate from Armor Express that is foam encapsulated. It increases your core area to level IIIA. It adds little weight but is more effective than a soft trauma pack (those things are worthless). The Foam Encapsulated plates are semi rigid so they are very comfortable. This could be a start.

Shop online, visit in-person, or call today for Uniforms & Clothing, Duty &
    Tactical Equipment, Hard & Soft Armor, and Fighting Gear.
    Use Coupon Code INGO to receive an additional 10% off
    our already discounted everyday low prices!

SHOP ONLINE:

www.nelsonuniform.com

VISIT:

1133 North Jackson Street
    Greencastle, Indiana 46135

CALL:
    1-800-214-0426

I ended up ordering a paraclete speed plate plus. Im not sure if its the shape or what but the 2 something pounds doesnt feel that bad just need to readjust the straps since it changes the way the vest forms around you.

The rifle is the keystone of democracy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2