• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im wearing an armor express vest right now and it has a front pocket for an up armor plate. does any one have any recommendations for a rifle plate? i checked out their sight but want to consider all options and see what other guys are wearing. the poly plates are appealing due to the weight but im open to other options as well. So what say you ingo whats a good up armor plate?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have an MTEK plate in my vest, which is made in Martinsville, IN. I'll have to find the procedural notice my department put out about which maufacturers were recommended for purchase. There are several options out there. I would definitely stay away from steel plates because of the weight.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    yeah i dropped a steel one in there and ended up putting it in the trunk. I think that thing would tear through the pocket before lunch. its a shame i cut that out of a shooters cut plate oh well lesson learned. My fto wears one but its a ceramic and i want to stay away from them i think.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    yeah i dropped a steel one in there and ended up putting it in the trunk. I think that thing would tear through the pocket before lunch. its a shame i cut that out of a shooters cut plate oh well lesson learned. My fto wears one but its a ceramic and i want to stay away from them i think.

Check out MTEK or Paraclete.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm a big proponent of Paraclete plates, but have to admit im curious about "made in Martinsville" plates!? I remember a few years back, Phylodog and another board member (who was evidently in the armor business) having words about some plates that didn't quite measure up that were made in Indiana? Hopefully not the same.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I think i may go with the paraclete. Its light enough that i wouldn't have an excuse not to slide it in. gonna see what my brother is using but im pretty sure his is pretty heavy.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I am wearing a paraclete 6x8 right now. I don't have the rifle rate version due to the weight, but the sticker shows that it will stop the following as a stand alone: 5.7x28, .357 sig, 9mm, 40 s&w, 7.62x25, and 30 caliber carbine. It shows that it will stop a 1 oz 12 gauge slug when used with IIIA if I am reading it right.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have an MTEK plate in my vest, which is made in Martinsville, IN. I'll have to find the procedural notice my department put out about which maufacturers were recommended for purchase. There are several options out there. I would definitely stay away from steel plates because of the weight.

The MTEK plates look like they offer good protection, but they look really pricey.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Curious if anyone has an RMA plate: RMA

I have a VISM poly but am seeing inconsistent test results.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    Im wearing an armor express vest right now and it has a front pocket for an up armor plate. does any one have any recommendations for a rifle plate? i checked out their sight but want to consider all options and see what other guys are wearing. the poly plates are appealing due to the weight but im open to other options as well. So what say you ingo whats a good up armor plate?

The first question to ask yourself is, "What is your threat" Are you trying to mitigate 30.06 on lonley calls to the boondocks in the middle of the night, or more common tactical rifles like .223 or 7.62x39. Does it matter if the rifle plate stops Green Tip or Steel Core AK? These matter becasue you will be making compromises in weight an/or price.

So, what do you want to stop? What are you wearing now (what level is your soft armor)?

This is the starting point. We can all post our favorite plate, but without knowing what you have (what level soft armor) and what you want to stop, we are all just shouting our favorites, not really what works best for you. Make sense?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    My department only buys us level II soft body armor. I initially upgraded it with hard plates, but after wearing them day after day I began to really hate them. It wasn't just the weight, but loss of some mobility. I decided I needed to compromise and ended up with some 10 X 12 IIIa soft body panels instead. I wear them over my issued level II panels (which I have no idea if it really increases the threat protection having them in conjunction like that) and it is a world nicer.

Level IIIA Hybrid 10 x 12

At around 2 pounds, the Paraclete speed plates plus or the MTEK plates seem like they would be awesome (but still hard armor, which I didn't like wearing day to day). If i had a spare $1000 lying around, I'd give them a try. For now I will stick with the soft armor.

Everyone has an different outlook on armor and you can never have too much. That being said, I did not like walking around all night feeling like I was strapped in a clam shell and opted for soft armor.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Curious if anyone has an RMA plate: RMA

I have a VISM poly but am seeing inconsistent test results.

my cousin is wearing rma plates in his big vest. He seems happy with them. he had the vism plates before and we shot them and they defeated the rounds they were rated for. but like you said i have seen pictures where they didn't stop rifle rounds.

Im honestly not sure what my threat is i just know i have the ability to step up my protection and i would like to. I have a big vest in the trunk but as far as my concealable vest i just want a bit more protection while still being able to wear it for 12 hrs.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    Im honestly not sure what my threat is i just know i have the ability to step up my protection and i would like to. I have a big vest in the trunk but as far as my concealable vest i just want a bit more protection while still being able to wear it for 12 hrs.

There is a new semi rigid trauma plate from Armor Express that is foam encapsulated. It increases your core area to level IIIA. It adds little weight but is more effective than a soft trauma pack (those things are worthless). The Foam Encapsulated plates are semi rigid so they are very comfortable. This could be a start.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I ended up ordering a paraclete speed plate plus. Im not sure if its the shape or what but the 2 something pounds doesnt feel that bad just need to readjust the straps since it changes the way the vest forms around you.

Top Bottom