• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    EXPERIENCED SHOOTERS LOOK Gear Selection- Help for Newbies

[video]https://youtu.be/wN6jtdFUj7s[/video]

I was poking around older videos on the Active Self Protection YouTube channel (a great channel, if you ask me) and came across this one. It got me thinking about some of my early gear selection and how I wasted time and money on some pretty crappy pieces of kit. I'd like to start this thread (hopefully we can get enough input for a sticky) to help those that are new to shooting sift through the endless options to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. I think the best way to do it would be in the same fashion as the video above, with a tier system.

T1: Duty/Military- stuff you can bet your life on; top blend of durability and features
    T2: Hunting- durable enough to withstand a hike through the woods or some time out in inclement weather; might not have the best features, but adequate for it's intended use
    T3: Competition- high quality, but maybe not rugged enough to be beaten around too much
    T4: Hobbyist- some cool features, maybe good for practicing until you can afford better quality; not "toys" but probably better off staying at the range instead of the woods/battlefield
    T5: Airsoft Grade- no matter what Amazon says, these really don't belong on a real gun; gimmicky wastes of money; just save up until you can afford better stuff

Please take some time to offer up your expertise/experience on anything from specific products to entire brands. Try to be honest and objective and don't get butt hurt if people feel that your favorite budget accessory isn't bomb-proof. Also, since this is in the A&G section (mods feel free to move somewhere more fitting), let's keep the guns out of it and focus on things like optics, furniture, sights, and other add-ons/support items.

Any suggestions for edits or another ranking system altogether would be welcome.

I'd really like to see us come together as a community and help out the new guys, so let's make this really take off.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom