• ...and so much more!
  • alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burns Harbor by the Dunes
    I have a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 scope on my AR 15 and usually shoot paper targets at 100 yards. My range is putting in a 200 yard range and I'm thinking I need more power.
    Can I get a recommendation for a 200 plus yard scope. I really like my Vortex.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    You already have an excellent scope for 200 yds. and beyond.

However, if you need more power, give Alan Alcorn at A&A Optics a shout ... he'll walk you through whatever it is you're looking for.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a 1-4 on one of my AR's and I'd be comfortable taking it out to 200 yards. I also have a 3-9 on another AR that I call my "precision rifle". I would use that one if I was going to be at the range punching paper from 100 yards out to 200 yards and beyond. I like the extra magnification though I don't necessarily dial it all the way to 9 for 200 yards. But I would for 400 yards.:)

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    IMO, don't waste money. 4x is plenty to hit a 6" or 8" plate at 200yds. Now if you're wanting to chase the same hole in paper then more magnification would be desirable

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You already have an excellent scope for 200 yds. and beyond.

However, if you need more power, give Alan Alcorn at A&A Optics a shout ... he'll walk you through whatever it is you're looking for.

Agree on both points.
    Alan has taken a lot of my money but I give it up so willingly.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I would like to keep my cost around $600.

With 1-4 is fine if pushing steel targets as they said. 3-9 or x-10 is good to tighten up groups. If you are really looking to see what groups your rifle can get at 200, I'd recommend a 16x+. Can you get good groups at 200 yards with 4x, yes. But if you want to see the target and shots better, at least 9x. 10x is enough to see visually .223 holes at 200 yards on paper.

if you want low power (1-3), your max is gonna be about 9-10. If you don't care about low power, there are 4-16, etc from vortex, bushnell, etc. high magnification is cheap. High magnification with low lower end is not.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    32 or 44 objective help me choose one.

Between those scopes OBJ size is not the major difference, the difference is FFP, and SFP. This video should help you understand the diffrences, but I can tell you I run 3 or 4 of the 2.5-10x32 FFP's, and none of the 2.5-10x44 SFP's. Once you have FFP you will never want to go back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XgugJSqpoE

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The bigger decision is FFP or SFP. I'd like the bigger objective unless I was dead set on FFP. Considering you're looking at 200 yards, you don't have to worry about bullet drop, so FFP isn't a necessity.

That's my opinion, but Alan or someone else more qualified can feel free to correct me.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I will add, for what your doing, a larger OBJ is not really a huge benefit, but neither is FFP. The short version is, either will more than do your job. If you want added "flexibility" down the road go with the FFP version. If you dont think you will need added "flexibility" save the coin, and go SFP. No matter which you get, once you get some time behind it you will be convinced you made the right choice.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Between those scopes OBJ size is not the major difference, the difference is FFP, and SFP. This video should help you understand the diffrences, but I can tell you I run 3 or 4 of the 2.5-10x32 FFP's, and none of the 2.5-10x44 SFP's. Once you have FFP you will never want to go back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XgugJSqpoE

Lol, like I said...

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of FFP at fixed ranges. The only thing I don't like about FFP is that the cross hairs change with magnification. At low power, they're small, and at high power, they're the size I think they should be. I understand why it's that way, and it really doesn't make a difference, it's just my personal preference.

My coyote rifle has SFP because I won't shoot past 200 yards. My 308 has FFP because it's more of a distance gun.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom