Some put me out of my misery and tell me what scope to buy.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Alright so I am sick of researching scopes already. lol

I want to mount it onto a 556 AR that will be shooting 62 grain rounds down range at most likely splatter targets of some kind. Most shooting will be done at the 50/100 yard line but the range does offer a 225 yard range too, when I am not too lazy to walk it. While I know some will say you do not need anything scope wise for this... I want it. I am setting this AR up just for this. I would like to be around a grand on the scope and would prefer something stronger then a 3x9 but have not 100% ruled it out. FFP or SFP, or does it even matter at 100/200 yards? The big thing I am back and forth on now is illumination or not. Thought about the Trijicon Accupoint and the Vortex Razor HL

My big thing is that I want to be able to see the holes from the scope without having to grab a spotting scope. This would be with splatter targets and 100 yards is a must but 225 would be awesome if possible.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Call Alan at A&A Optics, Inc. – 765-580-0986

He will point you to the right scope for your purpose without any BS or trying to sell you something you don't need.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Does it have to be new? Look on ARF EE and buy a used Bushnell DMR 3.5-21. Looked through a Sig Tango 4 6-24x yesterday and was very pleased with the glass quality for the ~$800 price. It's still Philippine glass. Then there's vortex. Great warranty and decent glass quality. Philippine glass also until you get into the razor line

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Does that price include a mount?

I like my Accupoint but it's not quite as clear as my Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    SFP vs FFP doesn't matter at that distance if you aren't worried about anything except the center cross hair on your scope.

ikendrick15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Does that price include a mount?

I like my Accupoint but it's not quite as clear as my Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16.

Completely agree here, Vortex has great quality glass at a fair price, a warranty that cannot be beat and this magnification range sounds about like what you're looking for.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I do love the VIP warranty. I would be very upset to go with another brand and have a problem down the road. I do not shoot a bunch so a lot of time could go by before I would have any problems. Anyhow, sounds like the Razor HD LH has great glass and is in the 3x15 range that should work for me. I think I would rather spend a few extra hundred and go that route then the Viper?

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-razor-hd-lh-3-15x42-g4-bdc-riflescope/reticle

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I have the Vortex Razor HD LH and LOVE it. Mine is 2-10x. Best advice I ever received "Look at Vortex and buy the best one you can afford".

The LH HD is actually $800 and as cheap as $660-$680 on Amazon at times.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    As they've said, Alan at AA, he's posted in your other thread about Vortex. Or you could go with that $300 option that seems perfectly unicorn? That's just me being elitist though. Seriously, talk to AA Optics, it's what he does!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. Alan. Good guy, INGO supporter. Absolutely will NOT steer you wrong. (I havent had the funds to invest in quality glass yet but he is my go to given the feedback)

DO NOT however look at Alan strictly on price. You CAN get cheaper elsewhere. But if you want expertise and want to support a good, local small business, buy from him. The difference is worth the expertise.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Yeah I have been talking with Alan. He sent me a couple options but I did not see the links in the thread, or got side tracked. I have decided on Vortex, now I just need to pick the one.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I think you might want to save alot of money and just go with the Vortex Viper 6.5x20
    On a good day I can see.30 cal holes at 400
    I have 3 of them now and you can get them on sale for $325 to $350

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Hard to beat an SWFA 10x42

You will be able to see your holes, never worry about your magnification setting, and they are just rock solid. 10x is overkill for the range you are talking, but from my experience I always shoot highest magnification when shooting from a rest.
    399 for the scope
    70 bucks for a ssalt mount

Leaves money in the coffer for a reflex sight to add some optical versatility.

AlexHunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2016
    Moscow
    [FONT=&quot]Hi! [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Perhaps you can use scope from atn. I'm using scope atn x-sight II hd 3-14x. This scope is relatively inexpensive and has good [/FONT][FONT=&quot]features[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Top Bottom