• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    As someone who prefers equipment that is over-built, I'm a huge Aimpoint fan. I don't know anyone who wouldn't swear by a T1, Comp M4, or even the PRO.

But if you're like me, you can't afford for every gun to wear an Aimpoint. I've heard a lot of good things about PA's products, especially that ACSS reticle, but are they tough? Those of you who have experience with PA optics, would you put them on a working/go-to gun? On paper and even in some Youtube reviews, I'm seeing optics like these or the Sig Romeo series being hailed as Aimpoint killers but can they stand up?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont know about tough, but I like mine. Only beef I have is there is no separate fast on/off switch. You have to turning from 0-whatever brightness you want. But the price was right for my budget AR-9 Range toy. (I REALLY wanted a Sparc but that was out of my budget.)

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I love my PA micro dot. In fact, I had nothing but problems with my SPARC and once it broke, I threw it away and replaced it with the PA and I don't regret my decision one bit. Sure, the SPARC had NV setting, but I don't have nods and let's be honest, if I'm in a situation where I am using nods I am not exactly relying on a cheap red dot anyways.

As for the durability, yes, they hold up. As I mentioned, this thing has yet to break unlike the SPARC that I had before. I'm also still on the first battery. Aimpoint battery life at 1/4 the cost... I'll take it. You can look up some youtube videos to see how durable they are, which I did before I purchased it.

On my advanced micro dot, the on/off switch is simply pressing both of the brightness buttons at the same time. While it isn't seperate, I don't have to turn it to 0 and up if I want to turn it off... but with Aimpoint battery life, I don't even turn it off.

ETA: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OD2L62M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the one that I have... I'm a realist... I'm not going into a combat zone for months on end being a civilian.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Many (Most?) PA optics as well as many (most?) Sig-brand dots are manufactured by Holosun.

If you're in the market for an adequate red dot - you owe it to yourself to also cross-shop Holosun and/or Sig's offerings as well. I bet you'll be able to quickly determine which brand's sight are essentially the exact same as the other brand. And, in cross-shopping, you may also come across a "deal" sale page or something where you can save $.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Anybody have experience with their low power variables that can speak to durability? I've seen a video or two of a torture test but they were posted by PA. I won't deny that the optics were dunked/frozen/dropped but I'd like to see some third party testing. No matter how honest and good-hearted a company is, there is a bit of inherent bias in any testing they're gonna do.

genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    I had a PA 1-4x on my AR for years and it held up great, replaced it this year with a GEN3 1-6x ACSS and have been extremely happy with it so far. With that said, neither has experienced what I would consider hard use. I also have a PA Advanced Micro RDS mounted on an Ultimak on my WASR, I've been very happy with it too and it has held up great to the high heat it experiences. I also have a Holosun circle dot RDS (can't remember the model, maybe 403c) that used to be on my AR9 and now resides on my 10/22 and it too has been an excellent optic.

hoosierglock40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Another +1 on the advanced micro dot! Mine has been on my AR for about 1.5 years now and has yet to be turned off. My only complaint is that it is more like an "advanced micro starburst" with my slight astigmatism but that's no fault of the optic. At the HD ranges that it is used for, it's no big deal.

CircleCityMedic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have PA's advanced micro dot on my rifle and have absolutely no complaints. I've had it for maybe a year now and have put probably 1500 rounds through it(bought it used so I don't really know how old it is or how much it was used before) and haven't had any issues. I haven't torture tested it or anything, but it's definitely held up well to some of the moderate abuse I've put it through. There's quite a few torture test videos on youtube and especially for their price, the PA optics seem to hold up really well.

Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI
    I have 3 PA micro dot red dots and a PA fixed 2.5x scope w/acss reticle. They seem very well built and I don't have a single complaint other than I don't like how big their logo is etched on the side. Really wish they would have made it small and discreet

BrianT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Butlerville
    I had the AA powered red dot, the switch went bad and they exchanged it for a micro dot. It's on the rifle I shoot 3 gun with for 2 years now and has been bounced off of tables, thrown down and generally beat on. It is still holding zero and is on the original battery.

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    Many (Most?) PA optics as well as many (most?) Sig-brand dots are manufactured by Holosun.

If you're in the market for an adequate red dot - you owe it to yourself to also cross-shop Holosun and/or Sig's offerings as well. I bet you'll be able to quickly determine which brand's sight are essentially the exact same as the other brand. And, in cross-shopping, you may also come across a "deal" sale page or something where you can save $.

Did not know this. Thank you!

Top Bottom