• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Ok INGO, I've exhausted all of my searching skills and I'm ready to contract this research out to you. I currently have an A2 style upper. What I would like to do is free float the barrel, preferably with an MLOK handguard, while still keeping the front sight post. The only thing I can come up with is to find a handguard that is exactly 12.5 inches long which will fit in behind the post. The only handguard that I can come up with is the PRI Gen 3. Im not opposed to something similar to some of the older drop-in rails that had the A2 cut out, as long as it's free-floated. Anybody have any suggestions?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While not a true free float there are offerings that will work just not M-Loc. They are 2 piece and lock into the existing catches.
    What you are wanting to do is not feasible and still keep the front sight post far as I am aware.

If anyone comes up with something I would like to know also.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    There's lots of options for what you want to do.

I've used ALG EMR 12" rails for this in the past. Most anything listed as 12" or 12.5" works fine. Just a small gap between the handguard and FSB. Not sure if that bothers you or not. If the gap doesn't bother you, you have tons of options. Just pick up a 12" m-lok handguard from your favorite manufacturer.

If you want to minimize the gap between FSB and handguard, you want a 12.5" handguard. SLR makes LOTS of different rail lengths. Extremely high quality. They make a 12.5"er that should fit PERFECTLY. They are drool worthy :drool:
    Here it is:
    http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_106_134_135&product_id=664

Here's what a 12" handguard looks like behind a FSB for your reference.

Last edited:

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    There's lots of options for what you want to do.

I've used ALG EMR 12" rails for this in the past. Most anything listed as 12" or 12.5" works fine. Just a small gap between the handguard and FSB. Not sure if that bothers you or not. If the gap doesn't bother you, you have tons of options. Just pick up a 12" m-lok handguard from your favorite manufacturer.

If you want to minimize the gap between FSB and handguard, you want a 12.5" handguard. SLR makes LOTS of different rail lengths. Extremely high quality. They make a 12.5"er that should fit PERFECTLY. They are drool worthy :drool:
    Here it is:
    ION 12.5" Lite MLOK Handguard

Here's what a 12" handguard looks like behind a FSB for your reference.

Thank you!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Troy rails are well proven. No real issues with them. Not as pretty as the SLR, but the Troys are about $100 cheaper.

Personally, I don't like rails that use mil-spec barrel nuts, but that's just personal bias..... I like a proprietary barrel nut that gives the rail a longer length to clamp onto. But again, the Troy rails have been out for a long time, and the lock up is well known to be adequately robust.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Unless I'm missing something, this is not free floating and is for carbine length systems.

Yeah sorry. Free float yes, rifle length no.

I've been snooping around myself but not necessarily for M-Lok.

So you want it to snug right up behind a rifle length A2 FSB & no delta ring / standard barrel nut? That's 12.5" - 12.625".

Have you looked at:
    Fortis? https://www.redbarnarmory.com/Fortis-Mfg-REV-II-M-LOK-Series-AR15-Handguard-p/forrev-2-m-lok.htm
    Zev? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ee-float-m-lok-handguard-ar-15-aluminum-black

Here's a crazy idea. Use a national match free float adapter and a real Magpul rifle length moe hand guard.
    http://www.compasslake.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=96

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Yeah sorry. Free float yes, rifle length no.

I've been snooping around myself but not necessarily for M-Lok.

So you want it to snug right up behind a rifle length A2 FSB & no delta ring / standard barrel nut? That's 12.5" - 12.625".

Have you looked at:
    Fortis? https://www.redbarnarmory.com/Fortis-Mfg-REV-II-M-LOK-Series-AR15-Handguard-p/forrev-2-m-lok.htm
    Zev? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ee-float-m-lok-handguard-ar-15-aluminum-black

That one from ZEV looks pretty dead on as far as what I would like.

Here's a crazy idea. Use a national match free float adapter and a real Magpul rifle length moe hand guard.
    National Match Service Rifle Float Tube - $108.00 : Compass Lake Engineering, Best choice of weapons and accessories

That actually was what started this thread. I am running a Magpul on the rifle right now and have wanted to free float it for a while. I asked about other options to see if I could find anything cheaper and because I've never actually been hands-on with one of the slim rail systems and figured this would be a good excuse. Thank you for showing me the Compass Lake, the only other one I found was from White Oak. I just really wish I could find some videos on installing them and seeing how much modification to my handguard it would require.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Zev looks to be licensing the wedge lock design from Mega and Hodge. If you like thatrail, also scope Mega and Hodge. They’re essentially all three the same. Buy whatever’s cheapest of the 3.

The wedge lock is excellent btw.

Last edited:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I had a Fortis and it wasn't very good. Not even close to the Centurions that I have. What is your barrel doing now that you are not happy with? By freefloating, I doubt you will see much in the change of accuracy. Accuracy comes down to who is behind the barrel.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My Colt Sporter 20" A2 shot about ~1 MOA better out to 400 yards when free floated. It had a crappy looking aluminum tube looking hand guard though. I got tired of the look so I converted it back to "stock" aside from the RRA NM trigger.

I just shot the Revere's Riders invitation match last weekend (out to 400 yards) using the iron sights and factory hand guards & confirmed it shot a bit worse. Time to make another change to her but since I like that "service rifle" look, I ordered the CPE kit. I don't have it yet.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    NECROPOST ALERT!!!

Over a year later, I've finally figured out what I wanted to do and made the change!

OLD

NEW

Changes:
    +Magpul MOE fixed stock to Magpul STR
    +Magpul MOE handguard to Midwest Industries 12.625" MLOK Combat Rail
    +BCM A2 flash hider to Yankee Hill Phantom 5C2
    +Magpul MVG to Magpul MLOK Hand Stop

Yes, I'm still a Magpul fanboy. Removing the taper pins from the gas block was a rough job and I ended up buying and ruining a nail-punch set after an entire night of oil, heat, and pounding away at them with what I had (Giggidy). I now have a free float rail and a fixed sight post and that 20" barrel is a little less unwieldy with the collapsible stock. Thought about switching to an LPVO or even a 2x or 3x optic for a more SPR-like setup but the Comp M4s has a special place in my heart. All in all, I'm a happy camper and she really doesn't feel like the same gun.

Top Bottom