• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sethr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Putnam County
    I am open to ANY that have a better idea, but I just got a Manimal to fit a 14.5" and am pretty disappointed. I may grind a new flat spot.

Fact is you need to put some Ospho or something after the weld anyway.

Here's the rub. A machinist or engineer should have thought this through. I am neither. The unopened, ungrooved side is keyed downward when mounted. That gives the downward force and keeps dirt from being blown up from the gas. Okay, what I wanted. But putting the two flats for the wrench on the sides is just plain stupid!! The flats -one or both- are where you will drill, pin, and weld. You have to to be able to slide gas blocks, etc. over it. That's what it was designed for.

Most welds are left showing to keep the ATF aware the work was done. SO, is this some badge of honor? Not really.

WHY didn't they machine the wrench flats on the top and bottom. Drill, pin, and weld on the bottom with no uglies showing. DUH!!

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    No idea what you are talking about.

MV5BNjVmOGJiYzAtMzViMy00ZmU5LTliMzctNWI4MjFlZjlhMzRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Uh.....wrench flats on the sides and pin/weld on the bottom has always been the standard. Just file down the weld nub. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

Also.....wrench flats on the top and bottom would look stupid.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    “This lawn supervisor was out on a sprinkler maintenance job and he started working on a Findlay sprinkler head with a Langstrom 7″ gangly wrench. Just then, this little apprentice leaned over and said, “You can’t work on a Findlay sprinkler head with a Langstrom 7″ wrench.” Well this infuriated the supervisor, so he went and got Volume 14 of the Kinsley manual, and he reads to him and says, “The Langstrom 7″ wrench can be used with the Findlay sprocket.” Just then, the little apprentice leaned over and said, “It says sprocket not socket!”

- Steve Martin

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    “This lawn supervisor was out on a sprinkler maintenance job and he started working on a Findlay sprinkler head with a Langstrom 7″ gangly wrench. Just then, this little apprentice leaned over and said, “You can’t work on a Findlay sprinkler head with a Langstrom 7″ wrench.” Well this infuriated the supervisor, so he went and got Volume 14 of the Kinsley manual, and he reads to him and says, “The Langstrom 7″ wrench can be used with the Findlay sprocket.” Just then, the little apprentice leaned over and said, “It says sprocket not socket!”

- Steve Martin

sethr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Putnam County
    Rough crowd.
    And, what would look stupid on anyone's build is pretty subjective???!?!! Hmmmm.

ANyway, when something is made to allow the gas block, etc. to remove over it, the wrench flats are the logical places to weld.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Feel free to drill through the wrench flat if you like.

Nobody else is having this issue. You’re overthinking it.

Rough crowd.
    And, what would look stupid on anyone's build is pretty subjective???!?!! Hmmmm.

ANyway, when something is made to allow the gas block, etc. to remove over it, the wrench flats are the logical places to weld.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    also to OP - context helps :)
    I had to read everyone's comments twice, and yours multiple time to figure out WTH you were talking about.

I think the idea of the Manimal extended flash hider is cool... especially the idea of a small circumference.
    Is your barrel in a good vise, are your threads good, and are you using proper tools? (those may not answer your question, but it'd be a place to start)

After rereading again... would you want to shim it out a bit, or is it designed to vent downward??

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom