• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Luka93A

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 28, 2017
    North Vernon
    I recently purchased a S&W 45 Shield and I'm looking for a holster for conceal carry. Does anyone have a prefered brand or website they use? Prefer to carry behind my back but if you have reason to carry elsewear, would love to hear your opinion.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If you carry small of the back, you run a greater chance of falling on your back and wrecking your spine than you do needing your pistol. Especially with winter coming up. I don't know about you, but I've slipped and fallen on the ice, and that hurts enough without a pistol wracking your spine too.

I use Kramer holsters myself.

Custom Gun Leather & Gun Holsters from Kramer Handgun Leather

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I personally have been doing appendix for about 6 years or so. It's not for everyone though 4:00 is also good. Holster companies are pretty good though no matter the method, if they make a good product they make a good product for the most part.

I personally really like Dale Fricke and Trex Arms. Henry, NSR, GCode and a few others seem to be pretty good as well. You can check them all out and see if there is anything that seems up your alley. I prefer loops over clips for attaching to the belt but I have compromised on that with a few holsters I really like. ALSO VERY IMPORTANT, get a good gun belt. That is as important as a good holster and maybe more.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Galco King Tuk. I tend to carry between 5:30 - 6 position myself and love the hybrid IWB's for this, and my favorite so far is the King Tuk. Better gun retention in my opinion than the CrossBreeds.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I like the Comp-Tac Infidel Max. Well constructed. Simple, and effective. I like the split clip so the holster can be positioned over a belt loop. Some pants seem to have a belt loop right in "the spot." Without a split slip, the holster has to be positioned either fore or aft of the loop.

Enon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2016
    Howard County
    I use Alienware holsters. Pretty much one of the only companies I found that had one for my carry, a Walther PPX. Love it though. They also have a free kydex replacemt for life policy.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I personally have been doing appendix for about 6 years or so. It's not for everyone though 4:00 is also good. Holster companies are pretty good though no matter the method, if they make a good product they make a good product for the most part.

I personally really like Dale Fricke and Trex Arms. Henry, NSR, GCode and a few others seem to be pretty good as well. You can check them all out and see if there is anything that seems up your alley. I prefer loops over clips for attaching to the belt but I have compromised on that with a few holsters I really like. ALSO VERY IMPORTANT, get a good gun belt. That is as important as a good holster and maybe more.

This is the truth.

Also, ditch the small-of-back carry and appendix carry. There may be people who do that safely, but if you're asking about it on the internet, you're not one of them. And just so you know I'm not being a smartass, I'm not one of them either :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My Shield holster is made by ETW holsters. It is very nice. Recently I bought a Tucker holster for my 586. It is also very nice. Either one would do you well if you want OWB, leather.

As you are seeing, you will have plenty of holsters to research if you want to look up all the suggestions. It's great that we have so many choices!:)

As far as carry preference, I like OWB at around the 4 o'clock position. Both of the above mentioned holsters ride high and conceal well under my shirts. I almost always wear my shirts untucked so I am good to go.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    TTGunleather, Milt Sparks, Stealthgear, Vedder kydex. My TOP picks and usually always go with stealthgear for IWB, very comfortable and despite others opinions very safe holster.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I prefer IWB at roughly the 4:00 position. I just picked up a MaxTuck from https://www.whitehatholsters.com/ that turned out really nice.

How comfortable is the MaxTuck at 4:00 pos? I've tried a kydex IWB 'non-hybrid' and it was quite uncomfortable. I'm a thin/ave (140#) guy and am hoping a hybrid-leather-flat toward body improves the comfort.

Those look very nice for $60.

:ingo:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    How comfortable is the MaxTuck at 4:00 pos? I've tried a kydex IWB 'non-hybrid' and it was quite uncomfortable. I'm a thin/ave (140#) guy and am hoping a hybrid-leather-flat toward body improves the comfort.

I found IWB uncomfortable. I know a lot of people seem to have no problems with that style of carry. OWB is way more comfortable for me. I am slim also, 177#, 5'11", 32" waist. You can always try it and see how it works. Plenty of people have "extra" holsters lying around that they no longer use.:)

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I am not even close to what you would call slim but I also do not care for iwb. Maybe i just haven't found the right holster yet. I carry a Glock 19 in a bravo concealment bca owb at the 3-4 position. Conceals fine under an untucked shirt. Just ordered a stealth gear revolution owb the other day. Waiting for it to arrive.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.

I agree that all-kydex holsters on that part of the body, at least IWB, are very uncomfortable. The hybrids with the leather panel makes them more comfortable, but like any form of carry it's never going to be as comfortable as not carrying at all. But carrying is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable :)

Seriously though, you'll like the hybrids more than a full kydex at that position. White Hat is also open to some custom changes if you want them. For example, I prefer when the kydex shell completely covers the slide all the way up to the muzzle, unlike Crossbreed where the muzzle is uncovered. It was a few bucks more but White Hat was happy to make that modification for me.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Galco King Tuk. I tend to carry between 5:30 - 6 position myself and love the hybrid IWB's for this, and my favorite so far is the King Tuk. Better gun retention in my opinion than the CrossBreeds.

I should also say that I have carried using this method and driven from FL to IN with no real discomfort, etc. Carried Glock 19, 26 and now a 43 with this holster.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    OP, how do you like your Shield .45? I was thinking about getting one to carry while at work. I think it would be more concealable than my PPQ, which is important, since not all of my customers are probably going to be really understanding.

Along the the lines of this thread, what do people like to carry when driving? For a long time I carried at 4:00, which is plenty comfortable, but difficult to access while seated. Is AIWB the only answer out there? I spend most of my day behind the wheel.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    OP, how do you like your Shield .45? I was thinking about getting one to carry while at work. I think it would be more concealable than my PPQ, which is important, since not all of my customers are probably going to be really understanding.

Along the the lines of this thread, what do people like to carry when driving? For a long time I carried at 4:00, which is plenty comfortable, but difficult to access while seated. Is AIWB the only answer out there? I spend most of my day behind the wheel.

I have found that having the gun on my right side at any clock position is not comfortable in the car. With the seatbelt on and the seat bolsters/center console proximity it gets tight. I can tolerate it for short trips, but for long rides not so much.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I have found that having the gun on my right side at any clock position is not comfortable in the car. With the seatbelt on and the seat bolsters/center console proximity it gets tight. I can tolerate it for short trips, but for long rides not so much.

I can certainly see that. For me personally, 4:00 with my PPQ is perfectly comfortable all day in an Aliengear. I'm just curious about more accessible options for someone sitting in a car.

sdb321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2016
    LaFontaine
    I recently purchased a 1911 and decided to go with a shoulder holster. It does a good job of hiding and is very comfortable. It is made in Ohio by Stoner holsters. It is very well made and is guaranteed for 100 years. It has a swivel feature for a horizontal draw. Take a look at the Stormer @ stonerholsters.com

Top Bottom