• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have been seeing EOTech 512 and XPS2-2 for less than $300 new with rebates. Just curious.....what is the difference in these? I notice one is longer and one is not......can someone tell me which one would be used for an AR? Can it be used with pistols as well? Thanks

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The difference in length you are seeing is the kind of battery it takes. 512 is AA and XPS2 is a CR123.
    Edit: Sorry forgot to add, you can use them both on an AR, or anything you can put it on really. They attach to a 1913 rail.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have been seeing EOTech 512 and XPS2-2 for less than $300 new with rebates. Just curious.....what is the difference in these? I notice one is longer and one is not......can someone tell me which one would be used for an AR? Can it be used with pistols as well? Thanks

The rebate is almost over so keep an eye on your timeframe. I've gotten 150 back from them. Bfish nailed the size difference being battery related. Both are designed for AR's but can be mounted on anything with a rail. They are not a good choice for most pistols (barring ar pistols) they are bigger than the pictures lead on. I prefer the exps series, operationally the same as the xps and 512, but the switches are located on the left side instead of the back. Much easier to turn them on and adjust, worth the extra especially if you think a magnifier is in your future.

There is a reticle difference in the two you have listed as well. They have the same basic ring around a circle, but the 2-2 has a center dot and a lower dot.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Sounds good. I appreciate your guys help. Looks like only have until 11-30-17 to have it invoiced in order to get rebate. Is the rebate just a credit card that can be used anywhere?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The biggest difference between the XPS/EXPS and the 500 ones is not the type of battery, but rather how it's mounted. The older style mounted the batteries linear to the barrel, and the newer ones are perpendicular. This solved a lot of the electrical connection issues people had in the past, because the battery terminals are not affected by the recoil of the firearm.

I would opt for the EXPS model if possible. As already stated, the controls are on the side, plus they have a built in QD mount. Some people had issues with the thumb screw mounts loosening on the older ones, and the QD mount is a huge upgrade.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds good. I appreciate your guys help. Looks like only have until 11-30-17 to have it invoiced in order to get rebate. Is the rebate just a credit card that can be used anywhere?

IIRC, I received a check.

I would say the XPS is preferred for all the reasons listed, but I got the 512 for my Polish Beryl because that's what the Poles run on their rifles.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    The biggest difference between the XPS/EXPS and the 500 ones is not the type of battery, but rather how it's mounted. The older style mounted the batteries linear to the barrel, and the newer ones are perpendicular. This solved a lot of the electrical connection issues people had in the past, because the battery terminals are not affected by the recoil of the firearm.

I would opt for the EXPS model if possible. As already stated, the controls are on the side, plus they have a built in QD mount. Some people had issues with the thumb screw mounts loosening on the older ones, and the QD mount is a huge upgrade.

This, EXPS or nothing for me.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    This, EXPS or nothing for me.

I haven't found the EXPS on sale anywhere near how cheap the xps and 512's are right now tho. I only have exps' but I could definitely put a 512 in rotation on a cheaper rifle for 250 bucks... Still if I were mounting the optic on either of my go to ar's it will continue to be the exps' if I stay with eotech. I coupled the rebate with a blemished exps from midway and ended up spending 330 after the rebate. The exps controls and mount are easily worth the extra 100 but if you don't have the extra floating around you are still getting a great deal with xps or 512 for under 300.

Top Bottom