• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    So were getting my father-in-law some binoculars for Christmas. He's been using some old and cheap junk ones forever. His use is sporadic occasional around his rural property. Not hunting or hard use. Budget is "$60.00 or so". I have narrowed it down to these three but will consider others:

Bushnell 10 x 42 Powerview Roof Prism $59.73

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Powerview-Roof-Prism-Binocular/dp/B00192GS04

Celestron 71347 Outland X 10x42 $51.99

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-71347-Outland-10x42-Binocular/dp/B004P1IMFA/

Simmons ProSport 10x 42mm Roof-Prism $44.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P8AF26/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1

Opinions?

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    With bino's a lot of times old junk is better than new junk (pretty much what your looking at with a 60 dollar budget). Its just like rifle scopes. Bottom of the barrel in the 60's is better than bottom of the barrel today.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Bushnell should be nice. I have a set and use them for about the same stuff. Actually used them this evening for deer and sandhill crane watching. They are my go to for lower end equipment needs. Rifle scopes are solid too.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’ve always had good experience with bushnell budget type glass products. Can’t speak to the others or particulars. But I’ve always felt bushnell’s budget products feel superior than others at the price point.

Agreed on their rifle glass too. Prob the only cheaply priced stuff I actually trust.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The post WWII made in Japan binos aren't too bad. I think those Tower branded binos were also made in Japan during that time period.

I have three pair. 2 old Tasco (7x35, 7x50) & a Vortex Diamondback (10x42). I'm not super happy with any of them.

My vintage Tasco model No 124 has great fov and good color but are real heavy. Inherited from my wife's machinist grandfather. I'll never get rid of these.

The cheap Tasco 4000 I bought in the '90s are meh. Quick to focus on things but nothing pops out as very clear, low fov, color not too great. Light weight though. Comparable to today's $60 binos.

On to the Vortex. They are as clear as the 124 but with better color, better depth of focus. Weight & FOV is in between the Tasco 4000 & 124.

Conclusion here is that it took me ~low $220 to get something somewhat better than my vintage Tasco and I'm still not thrilled. I'm wanting to step up to a Viper HD 10x42 when funds permit.

So maybe do something totally different like a spotting scope or a super light weight bino.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    IMO, if your budget is $60, you might consider buying him something else for Christmas. Optics are one of those things that you really get what you pay for, and binoculars are no different.

If you are set on getting him bino's though, consider buying him a used pair. For some reason, the resale value on them is particularly poor and your money will go farther than if you were to purchase them new.

And keep in mind that Porro prism's are less complex than roof prism's, and your money will go farther if you stick with that design. There are some great roof prism's out there now, but you are going to spend quite a bit to get a pair.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    In years gone by I've bought cheap optics and have never been satisfied.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Unless he already has a pocket flashlight, the thing us old guys need a lot is extra luminescence. I carry this O Light with me since the day it was recommended by a LEO here on INGO. It is probably the flashlight I would never give up.

https://www.amazon.com/Olight-Baton...8&qid=1511812270&sr=8-3&keywords=olight+baton

flashlight-olight-s1r-baton-22-650x650.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What about Vortex? Can't you get some models priced under a hundred bucks that still have the VIP lifetime warranty?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Top Bottom