• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    I have an Olympic Arms AR15. There is no attachment point for a sling at the front of the rifle. All there is are those plastic handguards.
    Can anyone please tell me what I can use for a swivel mount here?
    Thanks.
    Attempting to attach pictures...

Attachments

• AR15_Handguard_Left_29.jpg
      AR15_Handguard_Left_29.jpg
      7.5 KB · Views: 19
    • AR15_Handguard_Rt_29.JPG
      AR15_Handguard_Rt_29.JPG
      7 KB · Views: 16

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    For what? One of those free-floating quad rails? That sounds expensive.
    Doesn't that mean I would need to remove that nut from the base of the barrel to mount a rail? I hear that is a big deal.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    https://www.atioutdoors.com/ar-15-sling-adapter

ar-sling-adapter-for-plastic-forends-e14.jpg

Probably not what I'd use for real heavy use, but should work fine for normal sling carry.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Your picatinny section on your gas block appears to be lower that the top of your upper would be anyway. Grab a picatinny mount and toss it on there. Make sure you get a metal one however otherwise the gas block may melt it.

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Thanks, 1mil-high. I have tried that. It will work, but it just feels awkward having a strap going to the top of the gun.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    They make drop in quad rails that would probably give you a bit more robust mounting if you plan to use the sling for other than light carry. I have the magpul metal pictinny qd sling adaptor on the gas block of my stag, I would not recommend putting it on the top rail it is awkward, luckily mine has a rail on the bottom that is still a bit awkward but functional.

If it were me I'd swap the handguard to a magpul drop in handguard with mlok slots (35 bucks and about 3 minutes to install no tools needed) and I would use one of the mlok qd attach points like this one You will spend around 50 to 60 dollars but you'll end up with a strong sling attach point.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks, 1mil-high. I have tried that. It will work, but it just feels awkward having a strap going to the top of the gun.

I use something like this on one of mine https://www.aimsurplus.com/product....tis+RAP+Rail+Attachment+Point+QD&groupid=7833 and just attach a QD swivel.

I'd have to check what brand mine is.

Not a pic of my setup but this gives you the idea of how it would mount on that small rail section you have but have the mount off to the side via the QD
    VTAC-LPSM-3T.jpg

Last edited:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Neat, does it not melt when the barrel/gas tube gets hot?

My AR's do not seem to get near as hot as my AK's, but I have had AR's get pretty darn warm.
    So far it's held up well to my sons mag dumps. I've been asked about it a lot, I should do a quick video on how I did it. The knot I used to tie it is spuare knots. There are 4 of them total on one string.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    So far it's held up well to my sons mag dumps. I've been asked about it a lot, I should do a quick video on how I did it. The knot I used to tie it is spuare knots. There are 4 of them total on one string.

I'd like to see that video, lonehoosier. :yesway:

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    WebSnyper,
    Thanks!. That should work great since I have the small rail on the gas block. Since the rail is on the top of the gas block, I wasn't seeing how to make this work. But this side attachment should work just fine.

Top Bottom