• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Need to replace mine. In the past three years I don't recall ever needing the strobe feature, so I am wondering if its really a feature you need? Wouldn't the intense light be just as effective?

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I use Streamlight products and most of them have the “ten tap” function. I set all of them to the highest setting only, strobe in my opinion is kinda pointless. My edc light is a Protac 2LX and is 500 lumens, more than enough to blind someone.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    For what it's worth, I turn the strobe off on all of my lights (handheld and weapon lights). They might be super disorienting on the receiving end, but they screw me up on the user end.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Strobe functions are not necessary. Your movement during engagement is more important in blurring their target (you) than what a light can provide. This goes for handheld and weapon lights.

If you decide to use a strobe function, make sure you are training with it especially in close quarters with white walls to make sure it doesn't have a negative effect on you and your goal.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have used the strobe feature on my light once, and that was just recently. I was called to assist someone stalled on the side of the interstate at a real dark section. While standing watch over them while they filled their vehicle up I turned the strobe on and angled it so it wasn't shining/flickering directly towards traffic.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    You may like the one I have...

I have a Fenix UC35 it uses an 18650 rechargeable or regular CR123's and throws up to 960 Lumens. The tail cap button turns it on to the last setting and a separate side mounted mode button controls the 5 brightness levels 14, 50, 180, 480, 960 Lumens. Holding the mode button activates the full brightness strobe. It sells for $65-80

There is a new model out... the UC30 which is slightly brighter and cheaper at $60 but has only one button.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    These are my two go to flashlight. Surefire LX2 200 lumens and Fenix PD35 TAC 1000 lumens.

I carry the Fenix the most due to the 18650 rechargeable battery. Don't much carry for the strobe but I really like the light to over look it.

DC0F0931-BCCC-48EE-A0D2-BCB90392C449_zps7jmum13r.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I have a Fenix UC35 it uses an 18650 rechargeable or regular CR123's and throws up to 960 Lumens. The tail cap button turns it on to the last setting and a separate side mounted mode button controls the 5 brightness levels 14, 50, 180, 480, 960 Lumens. Holding the mode button activates the full brightness strobe. It sells for $65-80

There is a new model out... the UC30 which is slightly brighter and cheaper at $60 but has only one button.

960 would be painful indoors.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    For what it's worth, I turn the strobe off on all of my lights (handheld and weapon lights). They might be super disorienting on the receiving end, but they screw me up on the user end.

This.

And I found out they are not that disorienting anyway.
    A bright light will blind you no matter if it's on strobe or constant on.
    It's nothing magical.I tried with my own light (1,600 lumens) directly in my eyes.It's bright but that won't make you drop to the ground like you've been tased.

A strobe light, depending on the frequency, can also make things appear in slow motion.
    You can test this when it's raining at night.A strobe will make the rain appear to fall in slow motion since some rain drops won't get hit by the light.

It can be a bad effect if you're trying to see if someone is moving to reach for a weapon.A strobe light can easily make you miss a slow movement.

Stroboscope

Stroboscope

Keep in mind a strobe is just your light going on ... off ... on ... off.Just like someone playing with the light switch in a room.
    In a self defense situation you want constant on.You don't want your eyes not getting information half of the time.

Strobes can be good to signal at night though.
    But if your light as a monentary on switch you can create your own flashing light without using the strobe mode.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've found the strobe feature handy several times at work (directing traffic, signaling my location to backup, etc.....), but think using it as a defensive feature is pointless. Flashlights are incredibly bright nowadays, shining it directly in someones eyes is just as effective IMO and does not have a dissorienting effect on the guy holding the light.

Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    using it as a defensive feature is pointless

According to the magazine article I read a while back(Home Defense I believe), the strobe feature is just as disorientating for the user as it is on the receiving end. They used a mix of individuals(LEO, military man and your average gun carrying civilian) in their testing and all had the same outcome. Accuracy greatly diminished with the use of the strobe function. The test was in a closed, completely dark environment with a target at 3 yards and everyone's accuracy dropped greater than 50% compared to just using the standard light feature.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I've not found anything that can hang with Surefire's switches or overall build quality, though I have tried dozens of contenders.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    My olight s2a baton is still going strong. Have daily carried it for over a year now. For a standard every day light, I like zebralight as well.

I like the elzettas and Surefire lights if you need something more robust.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The EDC flashlight world changes with new LED versions and the battery. It is so strange to see such a little light vastly outshine a 5d mag lite we used for years. The wonderlights are great.

I like a nice long distance thrower. That tech seems to be tied to cooling and battery charge plus lens/reflector tech. Turning on one of these in fog is like turning on a light saber from Star Wars. They also work well for heating devices for cold hands.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Need to replace mine. In the past three years I don't recall ever needing the strobe feature, so I am wondering if its really a feature you need? Wouldn't the intense light be just as effective?

I have used the strobe feature on my light once, and that was just recently. I was called to assist someone stalled on the side of the interstate at a real dark section. While standing watch over them while they filled their vehicle up I turned the strobe on and angled it so it wasn't shining/flickering directly towards traffic.

I've done the same. It's one of the best applications of the strobe.

My opinion: at this time, the Fenix UC35 is the best EDC flashlight on the market when considering durability, reliability, performance, features, and price. I carry one and it's what I recommend when asked.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I generally prefer a flashlight that fits in a jeans pocket without feeling bulky.

To that end, I use a Streamlight Stylus Pro (love those...), the ProTac 2L, the ProTac 1L-1AA (these are less than $30 on Amazon right now, awesome deal) and recently came across the Fenix E12 which to date is my favorite...uses AAs and it is short/narrow/light enough to go into a pocket and be carried without being a burden.

I use a Pelican 2350 for work, because with a single AA it is a throwy MFer that has no problem illuminating the top of a 747's tail. Its only knock as an EDC light is the lens/reflector is larger than the light body, making it less ideal for pocket carry.

Top Bottom