• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I've been looking for a light to add to my Ruger 9E for HD, but I couldn't afford to spend a couple hundred dollars on one. I only wanted something simple that would allow me to see in case I'm awakened mid beauty rest routine by that never foreseen "bump in the night." I didn't want a light that has a momentary on/off button nor did I want a strobe feature (Just not something I see the point in having. I know it's supposed to disorient a would-be attacker, but I feel that, for me, it'd also disorient me.). I didn't feel like I needed 1000 lumens, either. I also know that I didn't want some cheap piece of plastic that would break as soon as it was attached to my weapon. I think that I've found everything I want in Dagger Defense's DD-SD01.

For a ~$30, this light is fantastic! It's all aluminum construction. I mean, there are NO plastic parts in the body whatsoever. Even the simple (on or off) toggle is aluminum. Simple on/off toggle (to the left on, to the right off). It comes with a CR123A battery, which powers the 200 lumen light. It is a quick detach mount. Pull the lever down and slide on/off. Fits tight. No wobble at all. It does have a jagged bezel which could be used in a struggle and would NOT feel good, but it's not too sharp that it'll snag anything or injure you during use.

The biggest things that enticed me to buy this particular light over similarly priced lights were the company and their feedback on Amazon. Dagger Defense is a veteran owned company. I know it's not a huge thing, but I feel better, personally, that my money goes to someone who put his/her behind on the line for those of us who didn't serve. It means a lot to me. The company's feedback was great. I particularly liked the fact that every low rating had a comment by the company offering to make everything right in the case of defects, as well as positive comments that note that the company did quickly make things right. I have already received two emails asking if everything was to my liking. Customer service like this is hard to come by.

For its size and price, this thing is bright. (Pictures were taken without a flash)

Off:

On:

For the reported 200 lumens, this can definitely light up the night, so to speak. It's a bit brighter inside as the beams bounce off the walls. But, this is enough for my needs. My only real complaint, if it can be called that, is that it sits a bit farther toward the muzzle than I would prefer. However, that's more an issue with my weapon than the light. With only only slot, it will only go back so far.

As you can see, there is room for it to go back, but that's as far as it goes on this frame.

Aside from the front to back fit, due to my weapon, I'm completely satisfied with this light. It feels solid. It has more than adequately bright for me to ensure I'm pointing my gun where it needs to be pointed. I'll update this when I get to the range and note how it handles putting rounds through it while attached. Links below if you want to check it out.

Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Dagger-Defen...id=1512868557&sr=8-10&keywords=dagger+defense

Dagger Defense:
    https://daggerdefense.com/?product=dagger-defense-dd-sd01-rail-mounted-pistol-flashlight-200-lumens

Attachments

• 20171209_200028.jpg
      20171209_200028.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 2

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, you have my interest.

I got a Surefire 300 about 5 years ago and kinda hated paying the $$ for it. It sure is durable, though, so I figured it was an insurance policy more than anything.

At that price point, there are a couple other firearms I might put lights on. I think 200 lumens (real lumens, not Chinese lumens) would be good for most things, but the more the better. :)

ETA:
    Holy carp! I just checked out their website. Love the variations on the BUIS. Will definitely put this site in the rotation.

Taurahe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Greenwood
    For the price , looks like it could be a decent deal. I personally dont like lights with any type of push button. The rotating bezel of a streamlight works exceptionally well. Any light i have had with a pushbutton has always broken, but i am heavy handed too. Curious to hear what you think long term. My streamlight TLR 3 has been exceprtional to say the least.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Thanks for that post and link. I have also been wanting a flash light to mount to a pistol, not for my EDC, but for a night stand gun. I just ordered one of these to try. I'm usually a flash light snob of sorts, I have several Surefires, and my favorite's are from Malkoff Devices, but they are pricey! I'm looking to giving this one a try.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Okay. Sorry it's taken so long to update this. I have taken the opportunity to try this light out at the range. I left it on about 45 minutes, both while firing and reloading mags just to see how long the battery lasts. It was also on for part of the 35 minute drive to the range. I had tossed it my range bag, and, strangely, it was on when I took it out of my bag. My assumption is that the bag was jostled and hit the switch. after the trip there and the range time, it was probably on for a little over an hour total plus what I used during dry practice to get used to turning it on and off. While the brightness was definitely diminished, it was still working. I'd have to put total run time with the battery that came with it around an hour and a half. I put about 270 rounds through the pistol with the light attached and on. I had zero problems. It didn't turn off due to recoil. Heck, it didn't even flicker. I'm very pleased, to say the least. For $30, this is a quality light!

Top Bottom