Fenix RC11 vs Thrunite 2C... Thrunite has high failure rate?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Fenix vs Thrunite vs Nitecore... ThruNites fail?

I am debating between either a Fenix RC11 and a ThruNite Neutron 2C V3 for my dad. He often works and plays in darkened places and I am looking for a single compact lighting solution he can carry from one place to the other. I carry and love my Fenix UC35 but it's too long (6 inches) for what he wears and carries around at work.

The Fenix RC11 is very high quality and has a simple magnetic charge cable!... but it only throws max lumens for 5 min before dropping back to lower output.

The ThruNite 2C is much more versatile... available in neutral white LED, convertible from about 3.75 inches to 5 inches in length, can use multiple battery types, and is cheaper.

The downside to both is the complicated and all-function side switch.

My concern with the the ThruNite is the concerning number of people saying their lights have failed after a few month of EDC use...

NiteCore makes MANY lights that might work for him, but I know nothing about them.

What says INGO's ThruNite or NiteCore EDCers?

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    How about a Fenix PD25 plus a few rechargeable RCR123As and a charger?

Because I think directly rechargeable lights would be much simpler for him and 18650's are longer lasting.

The PD32 is an option it fits all needs, but requires taking the battery out to charge.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Somehow through all this I missed the FD30 Focus... it will be perfect for him to use in the various outdoor situations... but will have to buy separate battery and charger and is nearly as big as my UC35

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have an RC11 that l like pretty well. If you need the flame thrower mode for more than the allotted time you're in deep do do. The side switch has a lock that works pretty well and the sequences for the strobe and lock are easily learned. If i was planning on using it as a weapon light, I'd have looked for a tail switch. But i use it as a utility light on the semi.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    I may need to look into this Olight! I would love to find a better option than surefire, but fenix definitely wasn't it. Not reliable on high setting. Bought it on a training trip at Front Sight Nevada out of curiosity. Wound up giving it away to a kid.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Current front-runners are the Pelican 7100 and a Fenix PD32... the Fenix has better choices of lighting modes but no USB... Pelican has USB but only 33lm Low, 350lm High and 700lm Max - no 120-200 lumen "medium" which is a general purpose brightness I think he would value.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was fiddling with this idea for my step mother. Decided on simple, reliable and relatively cheap, while being a top name brand:

SureFire G2X Series LED Flashlights with tough Nitrolon body

Panasonic CR123 CR123A 3V Lithium Battery (4 Pack) in Reusable Clam Shell

A little over $50.

I would have opted for the yellow one, but it was 25% higher. Might have to throw a couple turns of yellow electrical tape around the tube. :)

IMHO - most of the time, modes are a PIA. The mode is never right when you need it to be, then the clicking through of ALL of them to go too far...:xmad:
    I do have to say though that the bright/dim (only) switching on my Fury is something I use. Having a dim mode is not near as handy when shooting with the light in hand, but it is still workable. Hopefully the GX2 will work the same. The dim mode is handy for tasks and at the same time saves a lot of battery drain.

I use a rechargeable battery in the Fury, but it lasts a long time. Long enough that I can assume that non rechargeable batteries will work fine for my step mother that doesn't need the burden of figuring such things out. If she decides she's going through batteries, she may always make the decision herself to have us look into rechargeable options.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I picked the Pelican 7100 for my dad's x-mas present... of course I took it out of the box to "charge it" LOL... can't give him a dead light.

I like the size, but is SLICK and the guard on the tail cap makes it difficult to get enough pressure on the cap switch. The programmable UI (order of light modes) is nice but for what it does it's surprisingly limited in options. I set it to LO-MID-HI which disables the strobe function but the tail cap being mode selection makes the light very touchy to use.... I will have to see what he thinks. My Fenix UC35's two button UI (tail cap flash/on/off and side mode select) is far better with the exception of it of course being non programmable.

It uses a small lithium cell the same size as a AA alkaline battery, which it can also use but will only throw about 60-100 lumens.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I picked up a Thrunite TC12 V2 a few months back and I couldn't be happier with it. It has a "natural white" LED, USB charging, simple modes (starts in the mode it was left in, always changes modes from dimmest to brightest), and "firefly" mode, which I won't ever buy another EDC flashlight without. It's incredibly useful to have a mode which allows close work without destroying your night vision. This is one solid flashlight--I love it.

03DB664C-154F-49CF-BD6F-A630C97A9888.jpg

Last edited:

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    I'm with bwframe on the Fury. I own three of them. My only complaint is that they are a little slick with the texture. I don't do rechargeables though, as my batteries are issues to me. I have CR123s stashed everywhere.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm with bwframe on the Fury. I own three of them. My only complaint is that they are a little slick with the texture. I don't do rechargeables though, as my batteries are issues to me. I have CR123s stashed everywhere.

That's nice to have batteries supplied for you!

However, using rechargeables can be about more than cost. In some cases, you get longer run time with am 18650 than you would with a pair of CR123As. In other cases, specifically some of the Fenix lights that use a single CR123, you get a lot more lumens on the max setting from the rechargeable version.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Well the Pelican is going back... we are both concerned it's too slick, the surface needs knurling, and the battery life is awful. In just the time we were sitting on the couch talking and dad was trying the modes the battery indicator turned red (maybe 15 min max on time in different modes)... I had fully charged it a few days ago and it's sat in the box since.

He selected a the PD32 instead based on using my UC35 with the two switches, tail cap and mode.

Top Bottom