• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    So it's been decided that at some point later in 2018 I WILL finally be getting my dream rifle - the Daniel Defense MK12 SPR in Tornado Grey! I plan on using this strictly as a "reach out & touch something" gun. Now what does that mean to me? Well I am coming from the handgun ONLY crowd and I aint a hunter. I do however live in a rural area now and have a lot of land (well my in-laws do technically do but my wife is an only child soooo)...anyway the point is we have like 55 acres...a little is wooded while most is farmed so we have large fields around us and sometimes we see coyotes and what-not. They haven't been a problem but ya never know what the future may bring. My eye-sight is far from perfect so to me personally I consider making 25 yard hits with my carry gun (S&W 9mm Shield) a "long distance shot".

So from my perspective a 100 to 300 yard hit with an AR like this is probably all I'll ever need/want to do. And yes I know I could get a much cheaper rifle for this purpose but I been looking at ARs for about 5 years now and THIS is the beauty that I WANT!

So right now I'm trying to pick out a scope...as I will have funds allocated for this long before I do for the rifle itself. I have decided on some criteria and have whittled it down to several models which I will put in a poll.

budget - $250.00 - $550.00
    relatively compact
    Illuminated Reticle
    1x4 minimum but 1.25 or 1.5 on the low end and 4, 5, 6 or even 8 on the high end would be fine as well (I do realize that no variable power scopes in my price range offers a true 1x on the low side)
    USA made would be awesome but I know that is a tough order at this price point
    quality and toughness insofar as holding zero and being relatively idiot proof would be helpful!

Advice and options welcome!

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Yeah, I'd suggest the 2.5-10 also. Really depends on what you want out of the rifle. You can hit man size targets easily at 300 with a 1-6 though

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a VX-R Hogplex 1.25-4 on my "run and gun" AR. I use it for classes, and if I ever do any action rifle events. Also good for SHTF.(though I'd grab both of my AR's if it really came to that.:))

My "reach out farther" has a Leupold VX-R 3-9 X 40 with the FireDot reticle(German reticle). Works well to yardage beyond my capability.

So, out of those listed, the VX Patrol would be the one I would pick if I had to choose one.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Steiner P4Xi
    is at a good price with a lot of good reviews.

I do not have the steiner but would be very tempted. Almost ready to put together another AR just to have an excuse to get the P4Xi. I do have a couple nightforce nsx 2.5-10 and razor gen2 1-6.

https://youtu.be/-2GRm5sXVQ4?t=442

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I didn't vote on your poll.
    I've got older eyes and shoot longer distances. I also use an AR-15 out to your desired ranges.
    I'm using a VX-1 Leupold 3x9x40 and Bushnell 4x12x40 AO.
    At those ranges I prefer the 4x12, closer in the 3x is plenty fast pick up.
    Knowing your bullet performance past 150 yds is mucho important.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Only 300 yards, coyotes or property defense, and it’s your only AR.....Definitely get a 1-4 or 1-6. If you already had an AR with a red dot, I’d say go for a 3-9 or 2.5-10. But with this being your only AR, definitely get a 1-4 or 1-6. Lots of good options out there.

Personally, in your budget, I would get the Steiner p4xi or Weaver 1-5. The Weaver is made by LOW Japan and is an unreal deal under $500
    https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-ta...5x24mm-sf-illum-cirt-reticle-matte-black.html

Still under your budget, the Burris XTR 1-5 would be my third choice. PI made, and not quite the scope the Weaver or p4xi are, but still a good solid scope at a great price.
    https://www.natchezss.com/burris-xt...istic-cq-mil-reticle-low-mil-knobs-matte.html

If you can increase your budget a bit, the Sig Tango 6 1-6 can be found on sale for under $700, or the Vortex PST 1-6 is also very nice for just a bit over your budget.

Dont forget to allocate some money for a decent mount as well.

Last edited:

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Steiner P4Xi
    is at a good price with a lot of good reviews.

I do not have the steiner but would be very tempted. Almost ready to put together another AR just to have an excuse to get the P4Xi. I do have a couple nightforce nsx 2.5-10 and razor gen2 1-6.

https://youtu.be/-2GRm5sXVQ4?t=442

WOW...this seems like the one to get! I'm gonna watch the pricing on this one and be watching for the next sale!

USA made with German glass! The best of both worlds!

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    MrGunsngear's full review of the P4Xi
    https://youtu.be/yRm4rU2bK3Q

He also reviews other good scopes in lower to mid price ranges.

It is easy to go for "too much scope" when shopping for them.
    I have one build with a Razor 3-18 that i would not consider very useful set-up. If i had to grab one of my AR's for something serious, it would not be this one.

20170514_145301b.jpg

For a really useful set-up the lower power comes into its own. I like my 1-6 or aimpoint with removable flip to side magnifier.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have a Leupold Mark AR in 1.5-4 and wish it had more magnification. So, I voted for the 1-8. :)

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    WOW...this seems like the one to get! I'm gonna watch the pricing on this one and be watching for the next sale!

I didn't need it, but a month ago when Optics Planet had the Steiner P4Xi on sale for $377, I couldn't resist and picked one up.

Plan on shelling out for the throw lever as well as the adjustment is fairly stiff (as is the Vortex I have).

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    40+ year old eyes here. I voted Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6. I got mine and a PEPR mount by Burris for less than $500. With a .223 Wylde barrel and cheapo Federal ammo, sick accuracy! Remember to Blue Thread Lock the mount once you get 'er dialled in. Your Vortex will come with a nice built-in BDC and a lifetime "No questions asked" warranty.

If you're looking to push 100-300 consistently, probably go with a 3x9. It lets in more light with a bigger picture, which is what I'd want if trying to hit coyotes at 300. Some of them look quite heavy but are not. The 1x really excels below 100 yards, but I don't know if I'd try using the 6x regularly at 300 for that small of a target (coyote vitals), depending on skill of course. I've always wanted to try coyote hunting so let me know when you are going for it- we could team up and compare scopes! :)

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Thanks for all the input people! To clarify I AM looking for opinions on suitable optics...not really looking for arguments over my specific rifle selection...not at all looking for insults! Heck I can get those anywhere! :)

Top Bottom