• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I still haven't made my purchase that I intend to.

But in my research (which has been on going for several months now), I've come across a website that contains a WEALTH of information. Valuable information. And lots of it.

It's worth reading through a bunch of it so you can more wisely shop for your own safe and/or RSC.

Real Gun Safe Reviews You Can Trust - Gun Safe Reviews Guy

Yes this is a really good site. I've recommended it before in other threads.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I look at safes as buying time that thieves have to spend, they should be part of a layered defense.

kirtar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    West Lafayette
    [video=youtube;5Yr6ATdaDQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yr6ATdaDQ8[/video]
    Here's an interesting and somewhat entertaining DEFCON video about breaking into some common designs at the time. This looks mostly at small portable "safes" which are used for storing handguns (i.e. something you might stick under a bed) and does not get into rifle sized cabinets, but general locking principles remain the same.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Moving up in size and strength is always good. My first locking gun safe was no more than a locking bar stand like you would see in the old cowboy movies in the jail. Fit in the side cabinet of and old house with a fireplace. That held a 10-22 a 870 shotgun a single shot 20 gauge and a single shot Stevens 22. Was better than having them loose in the closet. Then came the cheap locker with a dial lock. Just a steel cabinet but a step up from the locking bar setup. It is now the ammo locker. Then came the Winchester Black Friday special. It held the handguns some of the wife’s stuff and a couple of nicer rifles. I could still move it with a refrigerator dolly pretty easy. Now it is a liberty franklin. None of them are top notch. The good guns in the franklin the users in the Winchester the ammo and a few mags in the ammo locker and still have the original locking bar one with a few 22’s in it. You know the ones I bought at garage sale and pawn shops over the years. It would still take much time to saw that bar with a hacksaw.

I want a big johnson but who does not. The Winchester is a nice safe for the little money I have but it is just a gun locker to speak.
    One day I hope to have a residential version of the gun room at HK.

One of the neatest gun room I have seen was a hidden room. Had a nice bar a good selection of cigars and guns all around. It was the communal home of two brothers. How that old house hid a 14x14 foot room you would never notice was unbelievable. That old house had a hallway with no less than 10 doors in it. They made house much different back in 1900 than they do today. You walked in the front door and there was a stairway to second floor and a hallway of doors. I loved that house.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Yes that Johnson.
    Those safes are something to behold. I went cheap on the liberty (so to speak) but when a third real gun holder is needed the chances of me whipping out for a big Johnson seem to be the way to go. The liberty and the Black Friday Winchester (wife was cool enough to get that one for me) work well. I do not feel unsecured in either of them but currently have family (in laws) as neighbors and the other two House I went to high school with them or there kids. We all know the habits of our comings and going’s and
    going’s. As you gather more toys you need to house them correctly.

Top Bottom