• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    It actually depends for me. Most of the time it's IWB kydex but for those days that I want a little pizzazz, I go form fit leather holster.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Leather has gotten way to expensive for my taste.
    I love my Kydex but, I find it a bit noisy on the draw in my case. I can see an instance where I would not want to telegraph my draw. However, I have a plastic Blackhawk Serpa that is very quiet and easy on the draw but locks in place very succurly.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    My wife says I am "stuck in my ways".... Well, maybe so.

I still prefer leather. For me, it's always been more comfortable than plastic (oops, "kydex"). I like the way leather forms to the gun with age. I like the smell of leather. I like that it goes better with my cowboy boots. ;)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have used both but have started to prefer the kydex. Mostly because it doesn't absorb moisture and doesn't get floppy with age. Where I work it's against the rules to have a gun while on the clock (really stupid rule for many reasons). So, for the purpose of having a CCW for the trip to and from work, I often just grab my old Keltec P3AT that rides in a leather holster. After several years the holster has gotten loose and the gun doesn't fit like it used to.

I have recently heard you can wrap the gun in saran wrap, wet the hoslter and vacuum seal it for a couple days and it supposedly will re shape the holster to the gun. Don't know if it works or not..heard it in my local gun shop so it comes with a grain of salt

jimbob488

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    MERRILLVILLE INDIANA
    I prefer leather You can’t beat The Mitch Rosen express line. I feel they conceal better than kydex. I have used a bravo concealment bca with wings And it’s ok but it’s an extra cost for the wings. The express line is really about the same price wise

Many kydex manufacturers are expensive I prefer bravo concealment but there limited on gun fits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    That click when I put my firearm in my holster makes me feel a lot better carrying iwb . Not to my mention way more adjustability. With Leather you’re stuck with the holster and the price tag

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I am old school and a old fool. I really like my leather holsters but I have found the best holster for me it’s leather back and kydex front fits my gun perfect. Best part it’s a pancake holster holds close to the body no flopping around the retention is great.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well fitted quality leather doesn't "stretch" enough to a point of not holding the gun securely. Cheap holsters do. Cheap belts do too. I have Ernie Hill and Chapman holsters and belts from the 80s that still work perfectly. Good leather is expensive but it's worth it.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I have both. Old school, prefer leather, Kydex works fine. I only use Contact Concealment products. The maker is in NW Indiana, and makes the best products.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Well fitted quality leather doesn't "stretch" enough to a point of not holding the gun securely. Cheap holsters do. Cheap belts do too. I have Ernie Hill and Chapman holsters and belts from the 80s that still work perfectly. Good leather is expensive but it's worth it.

This.... nothing beats a gun belt made of GOOD leather.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Leather is beautiful, but one characteristic of leather is that it stretches. I prefer a snug fit for my gun.

You may wish to check that your gun isn't shrinking!

Nothing like leather!! Of course I would say that as I make my own.

Ron

Top Bottom