I need to fix an SOE Cobra Rigger Belt - Anybody know a good seamstress?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My 1st SOE 1.5" riggers belt was too long. A nice belt but too long!

I ordered a 38" but the smallest circumference I could adjust the belt to was 39.25" + the 1" male portion of the Cobra buckle. This was really a 40" belt marked as a 38. I drove through the snowstorm to the Carmel Post office and paid to mail my belt back to their PO box + the required $8 for return shipping.

I thought I may have missed something when I ordered it & got one meant to thread through a battle belt or something. Nope. I ordered what should have been the correct size. No outer Velcro loop material either. It was intended as a regular every day carry belt.

They sent me another belt. This time marked as a 36". It's smallest adjustable circumference this time was 39" + the 1" Cobra buckle. :dunno: A 1/4" smaller but marked as 2" smaller than my 1st one?!?! On top of that, the Velcro hook at the tip of the belt is only sewn around 3 sides. An obvious QC failure on their side. I emailed + attached pics but of course, no reply. SOE can make good stuff but sure had a couple of bad days making my belts.

Wanting to avoid doing this a 3rd time, I think I'll just have the Velcro hook sewn on the 4th side and have the Velcro loop cut and moved back another ~1.5". This should allow me to thread more belt through the Cobra buckle & adjust it smaller.

I found a YouTube video showing someone using "size #92 Bonded Nylon thread" to sew a riggers belt. Seems simple enough to me. My mom is excellent and could do it but is in Florida for the winter. Who else might I contact on the North side of Indy?

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    I have an industrial machine and have been known to make my own belts. The work is easy, the hard part is having the right machine.

I can help if you don't mind the trip to Greencastle.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have an industrial machine and have been known to make my own belts. The work is easy, the hard part is having the right machine.

I can help if you don't mind the trip to Greencastle.

Listen to Lester. It takes a special machine to sew heavy materials like this. Your average seamstress' Singer, even if its a pro, wont cut it. It takes one designed to sew webbing.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Awesome! I just might need to remote into my company's clinic in Greencastle & break something so I have an excuse to make a trip! :shady:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    There was a good shoe repair man in the Greenwood mall at the Applebees entrance If I remember right. He sewed a shoulder rig for me and re-sewed the holster attachments as well. Oh yea, he resoled a couple pairs of my boots.
    Prices were very reasonable.
    Hakky? Shoe repair IIRC. I am clueless if he's still in there.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Alex's Taylor shop in Castleton says they can sew the missing side of hook & remove some loop for ~$12. That's cheaper than sending it to SOE again. This will allow more belt to pass through the Cobra buckle so I can adjust it smaller. It'll be nice to get to wear it finally.
    7152b1caf1e9e9f7f43f6ed5b20eb182.jpg
    bc488f84821304e2c50a2fc500d18c28.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would hit an auto trim and glass shop or a tent and awnings joint.

First I would hit SOE back.

Belts can be tricky. I had Kirkpatrick leather make me a cowboy rig for my Ruger. I sent it back and it also came back way to long. Cost me $250 plus shipping. I ended up selling it for $100 on here and off loading the gun to a buddy.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Sonya @ Alex's Taylor shop fixed me up for a whopping $8. The only thing this belt needed was to move back &/or cut some of the thicker Velcro loop so it would pass through the Cobra buckle. Sonya had one hell of a time even cutting the old thread. SOE uses some seriously tough materials.

I'm game to get you guys some discount code at my expense. I've emailed Amanda @ SOE multiple times. One reply saying she was working on my replacement belt. What's John's email addy? :):

Top Bottom