• ...and so much more!
  • lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    Okay, it happened. I hit the mid 40s and my eyes are not what they where. I got my first eye glasses last week.

I am in uncharted territory here. I've never had to have eye glass to see, to read, or to shoot. So, I don't even know what I don't know.

I have nice progressive lenses from the eye doctor for reading and working. I would like to have a set of good 'shootin' goggles' (some kind of eye glasses that are built for sports and outdoor activity).

What do I want? Where do I get them? What is best?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I need bifocals to see also, and I made the mistake of trying to be cheap with my shooting goggles. Thought I would only need distance, so I got single vision. Now I can't see the sights with them.

I found an online eyeglass vendor that sold these (3m model A2000) and then sent them my prescription. They also come in grey and blue if pink is not your thing. ;)
    A2000-PINKA2000-PINK03.jpg

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Finally, an area I have some experience with. First, my situation:
    I am near sighted. Not bad though. I have the same -1.0 in both eyes. What that translates to is that I can see a ways off, but it is not as sharp as it used to be. I can even pass a DMV exam by squinting hard.
    I definitely wear my glasses when driving. I want to see what is down the road, look through the windshield of the car ahead to see what is going on, read the signs before I have to turn, etc.
    I do not wear them in or around the house. I don't need them to read. Everything within 1.5-10 feet is still very clear. I hated my progressive lenses. I gave up and went back to single vision and take them off when I read or sit at the computer.

Next, what does that mean when I shoot and train with a handgun? Where is is my focus? On the front sight. My target becomes a silhouette that is slightly out of focus.
    I hate wearing glasses when I shoot. I would rather wear plain safety glasses than corrective lenses. You can find glasses with "flip up" lenses is you are wanting to spend some bucks.

I do wear contacts as well. I have learned to use mono-vision though. I wear the left corrective lens for distance and my (no correction) right eye covers the up close. Some people get bad headaches when attempting this. I do not. Definitely discuss with your eye care professional before you go this route. (I learned to do this because I shoot professionally in the photography world. I don't like correction when I look through the viewfinder.)
    I shoot with both eyes open, so this works well with pistol. This also works well when using a scope for distance shooting.

Not sure this answers your question but you do have options.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Are you Farsighted or Nearsighted?

I too have gotten to the point that shooting is difficult without glasses. I am Farsighted, IE; I can read a street sign from a mile away but can't see my own finger tips. I ended up buying a good set of shooting glasses and putting on those stick on magnification lenses made by Bausch & Lomb. I put 1.75x on the bottom portion of the lens (like bifocals) so I can clearly see the weapon when loading, unloading, etc. Then I put 1.5x on the upper right lens so that I can clearly see the front sights. In between the add on lenses in left unmagnified for seeing at a distance (seeing the target and beyond).

I takes a little bit of getting use to, but it works great for me. I am able to switch focal points quickly and clearly. Almost like having my younger eyes back.....almost.

I don't know how this would work if you are nearsighted, but it might be something to look into.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I am in the same situation as STFU, except my nearsightedness is really bad. I've had glasses since 6th grade. My current set of glasses are progressives and work great. For shooting, though, I have to lean my head pretty far back to see the front sight. It works ok, but it's not optimal.

I do the mono-vision with contacts for shooting. For my right eye (dominant eye), the contact lens lets me see the front sight clearly. My left contact lens is for distance. This works pretty well and allows me to shoot very good scores with iron sights. You may want to ask your eye doctor about something like that.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    To get around my problem, old age, I bought some cheap readers and broke out the lens over my left eye. That's for handguns and rifles without peeps or scopes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    To get around my problem, old age, I bought some cheap readers and broke out the lens over my left eye. That's for handguns and rifles without peeps or scopes.

I'm sure it work, but that is hilarious. Simple solution wins!

And genius at the same time!

I may attempt this. I can't walk in the readers without crashing into stuff. This might solve that?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I fear for your eyes. Cheap readers aren't safety glasses and neither is a missing left lens.

Either have made or find ballistic safety glasses that are available as both a full lens reader and with no correction and swap the lens to get the same effect while maintaining eye protection.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I use these on the motorcycle helmet shield. They are designed to stick on glasses. Might be worth trying one on the shooting glasses?

3103MCpxndL._AC_UL130_.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My eye doctor shoots (not real well) he did say the best solution for me would be one contact set to focus close and the other set to focus at a distance. I don’t like contacts. I have bi focals with the lines. And on the bench have adjusted enough to be pretty good again. Higher cheek weld than before glasses but I have placed a kisser button on the stock and it now places my eye just right.

Standing offhand certian rifles seem seem to work great and others stink.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My eye doctor shoots (not real well) he did say the best solution for me would be one contact set to focus close and the other set to focus at a distance. I don’t like contacts. I have bi focals with the lines. And on the bench have adjusted enough to be pretty good again. Higher cheek weld than before glasses but I have placed a kisser button on the stock and it now places my eye just right.

Standing offhand certian rifles seem seem to work great and others stink.

This is sort of what I do with the readers, being lucky to not have a distance problem. Your brain simply lays the two images on top of one another. I would like to find something that has a non corrective lens left side as the comment about safety glasses was very true.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Glasses

Okay, it happened. I hit the mid 40s and my eyes are not what they where. I got my first eye glasses last week.

I am in uncharted territory here. I've never had to have eye glass to see, to read, or to shoot. So, I don't even know what I don't know.

I have nice progressive lenses from the eye doctor for reading and working. I would like to have a set of good 'shootin' goggles' (some kind of eye glasses that are built for sports and outdoor activity).

What do I want? Where do I get them? What is best?

I have the same problem. I told my optometrist I wanted to be able to clearly see the sights at arm’s length and to also be able to see clearly at distance. He provided something called multi focus disposable contact lenses. I only use one in my right eye as I’m right handed. Learning to wear a contact soft lenses was not difficult. They are approx $.50 each so a 90 day supply is $45. I only wear one contact when I shoot. The rest of the time I use cheap readers when needed.
    For me this removes the need for expensive glasses that have other drawbacks - mostly the cost, durability, style necessary for shooting.

Something to consider. Ask your Optometrist about them and see what he says. YMMV. Good luck

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    If your current rx is good for
    you to shoot with try Rec-Specs.
    Available in line/no line bifocals, at Wal-Mart.
    I've had the same frames for at least 10 yrs, just updating the lenses.

Top Bottom