• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    I have a liberty gun safe problem. I have had a Liberty safe for about 10-15 years. It is the dial face kind and it has recently been giving me fits. Do the dials get loose or have problems opening after using them for a while? The last year or so it does not reliably open on the first attempt. There seems to be quite a bit of play as in pushing forward and pulling outward on the dial and I think that might possibly be the problem.

I have experimented with pushing the dial in or pulling it out, but I haven't seen an indication of which is the problem. Has anyone had this experience and what are the possible fixes.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I assume it is an S&G dial, most of them are. I have had a Browning safe with an S&G dial for about 18 years. It gets spun probably 2-3 times a week on average at least. There is zero push / pull play in the dial and no noticeable looseness in the spin.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Had a safe once which would sometimes unlock and sometimes wouldn't. Finally traced it down to a slight error that must have occurred when the dial was originally set. Subtracting 0.5 from each number and setting the dial to that minus half point each time made it open 100% of the time. Evidently when I was in a hurrry and spun the dial a little sloppily it would frequently hit those half count points and open, but when I took my time and did it precisely on the numbers, usually didn't. Might check using plus or minus one half count positions and see if yours might have shifted like that somehow.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Might try these guys https://www.facebook.com/ProfessionalSafeandVault Welcome to Vault Mover | 260.417.1345 (Same company).

I have not used them, but I did call them and talk to them about moving a safe and had some email back and forth a while back and they seemed very professional and seemed to know their stuff and if they can't handle replacement of the lock, etc they could likely tell you who does. He really took the time to educate me on a few things even though I was not a paying customer as yet.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Might try these guys https://www.facebook.com/ProfessionalSafeandVault Welcome to Vault Mover | 260.417.1345 (Same company).

I have not used them, but I did call them and talk to them about moving a safe and had some email back and forth a while back and they seemed very professional and seemed to know their stuff and if they can't handle replacement of the lock, etc they could likely tell you who does. He really took the time to educate me on a few things even though I was not a paying customer as yet.

I think his name is James iirc. He did a very good job installing my safe. Highly recommended. He's SUPER busy though. If you get a hold of him book the repair asap. If you hesitate then good luck getting a hold of him again.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Man, that's odd. S&G is usually regarded as a quality lock mechanism. Maybe shoot them am email and see what they say?

That's what I seemed to recall as well. I thought it was the "NL" locks that were to be avoided (but can't remember, it was from a conversation I had with James from Vault Mover mentioned above.)

Top Bottom