So, I snapped the string on a boresnake today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I have just finished my first AR build. I wanted to make sure that there was nothing in the barrel from manufacturing (metal shavings or anything). So, I figured that I'd just run my boresnake through it a couple times and call it good. It's a fairly new one. I've only used it a couple times on my .22 rifle. Very difficult to pull through. I assumed it's because I'm a pansy, but, after today, I guess maybe I'm not a complete wuss. It was a Hoppes Viper .22 caliber. I assumed it would fit fine down the 5.56 barrel. Well, I pulled and pulled and I was making no headway. So, I kept pulling. The darn string snapped! It didn't come apart. It snapped. Am I just THAT strong (not likely)? Is it a bad product or just a bad one? Is there another boresanke that I should try? Or should I just go to a one-piece rod? What do you all do?

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I just recently starting using bore cleaners. But after some research on the internet, I saw many people who had the same problem as you.

That is why I choose to use the Otis Ripcord. By the nature of it's design, that cannot happen.

I now have one in all of my AR buttstocks.

https://otistec.com/ripcord/

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I just recently starting using bore cleaners. But after some research on the internet, I saw many people who had the same problem as you.

That is why I choose to use the Otis Ripcord. By the nature of it's design, that cannot happen.

I now have one in all of my AR buttstocks.

https://otistec.com/ripcord/

I hear you on the Otis. I have been using mine for several years now.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The brass tip that is supposed to pull the thin part through was too thick to go in my barrel... Said it was .22...

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Apparently, I should have done more research before getting one. I figured it'd get easier the more I used it, but I also thought it'd last long enough to get to that point. Oh, well. I'll have to look into the Otis Ripcords for a quick cleaning and one-piece rod for thorough cleaning. Definitely won't use a three-piece again. I broke one at the connection, which is what took me to my LGS that day. They were out of one-piece rods. So, I thought the boresnake would be a good option. Obviously, I was wrong. So, Dewey is a good one-piece? Is there a material that's better than others? Carbon fiber, brass, steel (as long as it's covered with something)?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Apparently, I should have done more research before getting one. I figured it'd get easier the more I used it, but I also thought it'd last long enough to get to that point. Oh, well. I'll have to look into the Otis Ripcords for a quick cleaning and one-piece rod for thorough cleaning. Definitely won't use a three-piece again. I broke one at the connection, which is what took me to my LGS that day. They were out of one-piece rods. So, I thought the boresnake would be a good option. Obviously, I was wrong. So, Dewey is a good one-piece? Is there a material that's better than others? Carbon fiber, brass, steel (as long as it's covered with something)?

I can't remember what the Dewey is made out of. Aluminum would be my guess, with the plastic coating.

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    Dewey rods are typically Steel wrapped in a nylon coating.
    Found this out because the rifling on my rifle was dimensionally tight. I was using the correct rod for the caliber. With some excessive force I got the jag out of the muzzle. If figured the patch was the culprit. Nope. The nylon jacket was a smidge bigger than the bore. Had to attach a slide hammer to extract it. Fun!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    my .22 boresnake is tight but works fine.

the fibers are the same size but there are fewer of them (vs larger calibers) and thus fewer gaps between them to compress into.

Top Bottom