• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Cicero
    I recently set out to uncomplicate my AR that I keep stashed for quick access for coyotes or any other unwanted creature lurking in the night behind the house. I've had both a red dot and NV scope on this rifle at different times; and on more than one occasion, each have been dead when I went to use them, and/or just check them....which I would do every 2 or 3 months regardless. Now, I know some will say spend more $$$, and get a dot that you can just leave on all the time?? The options are endless; so, what I decided to do was try to find a reliable, shock proof, set it and forget it setup, that only had one device, at most, requiring a battery, which would work at night as well as during the day. All this being said, I should state that I like the standard A2 sights....as anything I will be shooting at(most likely within 100 yds or so); the A2 iron sights are more than capable of providing enough accuracy, providing the shooter behind said sights is an average marksman, and can get a clear sight picture of the target. So, if your are 100% sold on optics being the only way to go, then disregard this whole post as hogwash. However, if you are interested in trying to keep it simple with iron sights for day or night; then this is what has worked for me if anyone is interested.

Blitzkrieg Luminescent "V" front sight post w/ tritium dot
    Standard A2 rear sight with Trijicon A2 night sight
    NiteCore 1000 lumen P30 hunting light (red/green/clear)

Day:
    Nothing relying on batteries
    nothing cowittnessed
    a bright clear sight picture much improved from standard black sights
    shock proof zero always as good as the initial zero set

Night:
    Only 1 device relying on batteries(re-chargeable replacements w/ a low-voltage indicator on the light)
    The back wash from the light silhouettes the sight picture perfectly and provides enough light to aluminate the stripes just enough without over powering the sight picture
    The tritium dots add clarity/precision, and are functional in very low light or red light use conditions

Tactical
    If the Blitzkrieg sight is kept in a lit room, or can be fully charged with an LED light in 2 seconds; they become bright enough use in total darkness when using your light intermittently or on strobe for quick acquisition. I was really amazed at how bright they really are. I wondered at first why they only sell front sights, but then quickly realized that they are far too bright for your rear aperture.

So anyway, I realize there are 1001 ways to skin this cat; just thought I'd pass along what I have tried, incase anyone else might be interested in reducing the electronics and making the A2 sights more functional at night.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hey, the 80’s were cool, if that’s what you like, keep it. Modern technology gives you an Aimpoint with 5 year battery life, so that’s almost a non-starter for a dead battery.

Jimb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Cicero
    Hey, the 80’s were cool, if that’s what you like, keep it. Modern technology gives you an Aimpoint with 5 year battery life, so that’s almost a non-starter for a dead battery.
    I have been accused of being a throwback a time or two.....all good. lol

Jimb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Cicero
    Not just Aimpoint either.[/QUTh

This is a gun that I just wanted to keep as simple as possible, but keep it functional for coyotes at night. It is not my home defense weapon, which requires a little more looking after to ensure the halo sight and light are always ready to go. This is a no frills, may get beat up, basic AR which might not get pulled off its shelf in 6 months, or may get used twice in one week. I think this is a very simple, reliable, minimalist type set up that doesn't require all the bells and whistles to work well at night. I'm definitely not a hater of the optics....just not what I was looking for here, and thought I'd pass the info along incase anyone else was interested.
    If someone wants to go with a descent red dot and effective light; they will wrap up $400 easy.....this is just a more basic, 1/2 the price, option is all

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I used to have the same problem with my thermal scope. Now, I have an extended battery pack that lasts all night. I turn it on when it gets dark, and I charge it during the day.

Top Bottom