• ...and so much more!
  • sopwith21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Gentlemen;

Will a SOB OWB holster (such as the one pictured) conceal well under a T shirt?

I've been using a reverse grip (palm out) left handed holster as SOB. It works well, but the retention is very poor and makes me nervous. I'd like to go with a kydex or leather SOB holster with better retention, but I'm unsure if IWB or OWB is best for my needs and body style. I'm an average build; not overweight.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Bronco-1.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Don't carry small of back. Problem solved!

Seriously, imagine what would happen to your spine if you fell flat on your back...

Also, no, it won't conceal well - especially when you bend forward. Your shirt will get caught on the grip.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Carry at like 4:30 all the concealment of SOB but without the insane risk of shattering your lower spine in the event of a fall. I like the Milt Sparks Criterion for that position of carry

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Make sure you have a real gun belt too. It makes a world of difference in carrying more comfortable. I prefer the Daltech Force Super BioBelt.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I'd rather anyone go shoulder holster versus SOB carry, as others have stated, back injury potential is huge, as well as retention issues.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Don't carry small of back. Problem solved!

Seriously, imagine what would happen to your spine if you fell flat on your back...

It's also the worst possible position for retention if someone tries to disarm you. It'd be more secure duct taped to your forehead.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    1) Don't carry SoB... Tried it and the above mentioned is on point for injury, retention, and ability to protect
    2) Do use a great belt - another fan of the Super Bio Belt
    3) OWB / IWB doesn't matter as much as Quality of Gear (holster, belt, retention / ability to protect)

I believe I've only repeated what is above, however we hope you are noticing a theme...

sopwith21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Remember, people who carry SOB have already heard all the debates but they've decided on SOB because of personal factors such as occupation, dress style, etc. They've been there, argued that.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Remember, people who carry SOB have already heard all the debates but they've decided on SOB because of personal factors such as occupation, dress style, etc. They've been there, argued that.

Some have, some haven't. It's still a poor way to carry, regardless of what somebody may have talked themselves into and then justified.

You asked a question. You got answers. You expressed concerns about retention. Retention sucks. You asked about concealment. Concealment isn't horrendous, but it's as good as more common options, assuming you aren't going to be standing still all the time.

Add in you can't see it to reholster, increased risk of injury, inability to trap the gun for retention, inability to even see the gun and detect a gun grab coming, and you'll quickly come to realize why it's so unpopular, particularly among recognized experts.

SOB sucks as a fighting holster. Whatever positives you've convinced yourself exist aren't worth the trade offs. Strong side IWB/OWB or appendix are popular for a reason. They work, they don't have as many trade offs, and they are significantly better suited to fighting with a gun as opposed to just standing around with a gun.

Top Bottom