• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I got a 10-pack of sand, thinking it would be close to the old FEE, but it's basically white.

What sort of paint have y'all used, and what level of success have you had?

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    I got a 10-pack of sand, thinking it would be close to the old FEE, but it's basically white.

What sort of paint have y'all used, and what level of success have you had?

gunmagwarehouse i assume? i bought a 10 pack as well. i ended up trading half out for 2 okay mags per pmag. i didn't realize how white they were as well, and just didn't really want to paint or dye at the time.
    About the rit dye though, i used black on 2 magpul moe grips that were olive drab, and you really can't tell that they didn't start out as black.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The RIT dye works awesome; better than I could've imagined. You might just have to work to get the color exactly as you want. You can even dye the windowed ones, though I haven't tried this yet.

There are websites that help you mix the colors that you want to get the desired outcome so Google is your friend.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'll second the RIT dye. I just did this yesterday. Lots of YouTube videos to help. I did 4 sand PMags and changed them into racing red and Tangerine. These will identify my 300blkout rounds. I went to Goodwill, bought a pot, stainless steel, a set of tongs and went to town. All told I spent less than $20.00 for the project.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Necrobump...

I've seen and read a number of accounts where people used the "sand" colored furniture or mags with great success.

Anyone started with gray? I have an opportunity to get some gray furniture at a good price, but don't really want gray. I'm assuming I can use RIT to get them black fairly easily, but not sure how it would work trying to do OD, coyote tan or the like.

Experiences or predictions welcome. :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm curious what colors of Rit dye you guys are using. I had some sand 20rd mags that turned out pretty horrible and I'd love to redo them.

For spray paint though, I've had much better luck with Krylon compared to Rustoleum. I'll go with Krylon every time.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I'm curious what colors of Rit dye you guys are using. I had some sand 20rd mags that turned out pretty horrible and I'd love to redo them.

For spray paint though, I've had much better luck with Krylon compared to Rustoleum. I'll go with Krylon every time.

How does the Krylon wear over time?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    How does the Krylon wear over time?

The krylon wears and I've never seen a way around that. I've seen where some folks will put a clear coat over the top of it, but honestly I really like the worn look anyway. The rustoleum tends to have a tacky/sticky feel to it over time or at least that's my experience especially when it's out in bright sun.

Top Bottom