Electronic Hearing Pro - What kinds do you use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I'm looking at getting some electronic hearing protection (muff style). I've been looking at the Howard Leights, Walker Razors, and 3M Peltor Sport 100s. Do any of you have any pros/cons for any of these? Do you use something different that you prefer? Do you use something different and think I should stay away from that one? Please, let me know what you all think, INGO. Thanks!

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I just researched this for my first pair(s) and was considering the same 3 models but ended up with the Peltor RangeGuard. For similar price range (I see they've gone up $5 since I ordered a month ago) as the HL and Walkers but supposedly more comfortable for long term wear. It seems one of those models was missing auto-shutoff.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I’ve used a set of Peltor TacSports for the last 5-6 years (maybe longer - can’t remember) and have been very happy with them. They crapped out a few years ago but I sent them to 3M and they fixed them up and sent them back in a pretty small amount of time.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I use a pair of caldwell low profile. Several years old and still going strong. I think I paid around $30 at Dunham's.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I use Axil ear muffs, that were purchased pre-production, for shooting. They are light weight, comfortable and they have enhanced hearing and hearing protection that is better than most electronic ear muffs. Axil has moved on to expensive in-the-ear protection. At the track I used the Howard Leights because they were effective and a lot cheaper if lost or stolen. Prior to the Axils I used Pro Ears Gold 30s. The Pro Ears have a higher noise suppression but they are heavy and require a less common battery.

For standard non-powered ear muffs I used Peltors with the highest noise reduction.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I just researched this for my first pair(s) and was considering the same 3 models but ended up with the Peltor RangeGuard. For similar price range (I see they've gone up $5 since I ordered a month ago) as the HL and Walkers but supposedly more comfortable for long term wear. It seems one of those models was missing auto-shutoff.

I saw those, too. I thought for an extra $10, the Sport Tacs would be worth it.

Howard Leight Impact Pro. NRR of 30. I wear mine over 20db something earplugs.

Those look rather large. How do they do with long gun shooting?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    MSA Sordins, or Peltor ComTacs are what I have used in the past, but now I just use Surefire EP’s unless I’m wearing a helmet. I was looking at Liberators, but boy are they pricey!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I started with Howard Leights but felt they didn't seal well over eye protection or when wearing a cap.

Then I choked on the cost and bought MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X - Premium Edition - with gel seals fitted and love them. Better seal and more comfortable.

If you buy a lessor muff, consider getting the gel seals that are available for some of them. I won't go back to foam seals.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    UHdGNWqh.jpg

I am a big fan of MSA Sordin's they are lo profile enough to not interfere with shouldering a rifle, the gel ear cups are amazing. My only complaint is that I have an XL sized noggin so they get kind of uncomfortable after several hours. The DB rating on them in the range of firearms discharging is in the 30db range (people rag on the low rating for lower sound levels without actually reading the literature). For work in doors I will often put a pair of Surefire earplugs in under the Sordins and I am good to go for just about anything.

https://trevoronthetrigger.wordpres...me-performance-the-misleading-nrr18db-rating/

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    MSA Sordins, or Peltor ComTacs are what I have used in the past, but now I just use Surefire EP’s unless I’m wearing a helmet. I was looking at Liberators, but boy are they pricey!

I was issued a Liberator 2 and it is nice (It is just a MSA Sordin Supreme with a mic rebadged for TCI, IIRC). For my personal ear pro, I just use HL Impact Sport and haven't had any issues with it. The sound isn't as nice, but I wouldn't expect it to be for being 10X cheaper. I do want to try the Surefire one of these days.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    This review has some age on it, but may provide you with some insights.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...electronic-hearing-protection-any-budget.html

Awesome. Looks like a lot of info. I'll have to start going through that thread. Thank you.

I started with Howard Leights but felt they didn't seal well over eye protection or when wearing a cap.

Then I choked on the cost and bought MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X - Premium Edition - with gel seals fitted and love them. Better seal and more comfortable.

If you buy a lessor muff, consider getting the gel seals that are available for some of them. I won't go back to foam seals.

Yeah, the $250 would be a heck of a pill to choke down.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    One of the things that has given me pause as to buying a pair of electronic hearing pro has been the NRR. Most in the price range I'd be comfortable with (sub $100) are around 20-23. The standard muffs I'm currently using are 31. I know I could always add foam plugs, but I'm not big on having things in my ear. That's the reason I went with the muffs in the first place.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    One of the things that has given me pause as to buying a pair of electronic hearing pro has been the NRR. Most in the price range I'd be comfortable with (sub $100) are around 20-23. The standard muffs I'm currently using are 31. I know I could always add foam plugs, but I'm not big on having things in my ear. That's the reason I went with the muffs in the first place.

Check out the link I posted, NRR's listed can be very decieving as gunshots are on the higher end of the frequency spectrum (MSA Sordin gets between 28-mid 30) in DB reduction for noises in the gunshot frequency there is allot of misinformation out there

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Check out the link I posted, NRR's listed can be very decieving as gunshots are on the higher end of the frequency spectrum (MSA Sordin gets between 28-mid 30) in DB reduction for noises in the gunshot frequency there is allot of misinformation out there

I did read that blog post. It was very informative.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    The linked review in this thread is very informative.

I started with the HL impact sports. One pair I could hear hits on steel at rifle range ok, another pair cut out sound longer and hearing hits was difficult. Also talking to anyone during gunfire is difficult because sound is totally cut out. They do work well for the price.

Then i went with peltor tactical sports (mentioned in review link to in this thread). I can definitely tell the better method off "sound compression". Conversation during gunfire is so much easier Hearing rifle hits on steel at even 1,000 yards is no problem. I added the peltor gel cups that fit some of their models. Gel cups are expensive but are nice.

Top Bottom