• ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Hey folks!

I am looking to upgrade my Walmart backpack. I need something that doesn’t scream “tactical” as I am not a very tactical guy and it wouldn’t be my style. This means something that comes in colors other than OD, coyote, camo, etc. Something that isn’t covered in velcro and molle would also be preferable. A larger size sling pack would work well, just nothing with waist straps, chest straps and all. I want it to be something durable that I can carry daily and occasionally load somewhat heavy without worrying about it falling apart in 6 months.

What I need it to carry:

Spare clothing/belt/socks/toiletries
    External pouch for a radio
    Admin area for pen/Sharpie/flashlight/nitrile gloves
    Sunglasses
    Spare pistol mags
    Legal pad/notebook

I am willing to spend up to $150 - $200 if there is something worth the price.

Fairly specific, but if anyone has recommendations send them my way!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Seriously, tough to beat and you’d be hard pressed to find something less conspicuous.

m_5a88ac6846aa7c032879be80.jpg

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You aren't wrong chez, I've got one that's made it at least a good 8 or 9 years and been to a solid 15+ countries. I've become attached to mine, I'll be very sad when it wears out.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Another vote for Vertx, I carry the Commuter Sling Bag, it holds everything I need, laptop, notebook, pens, pencil, trauma kit, boo-boo kit, spare G19 and 3 mags, and has room to spare. Looks stylish, and very functional without the Tactical look. They have a couple of different backpacks as well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've had an Everest "deluxe backpack with wheels" for several years now. I mostly roll it because it's always carrying more weight than most people will carry on their backs for an extended backpacking trip. Even overloaded, it's still going strong. The only failures have been the outer mesh pockets that eventually developed holes with stuff moving around in them. I've never had a bag last this long.

81GqK7QHcGL._SL1500_.jpg

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Second the suggestion of Jansport. I've not poked through their website to see what all they offer - but they have a LIFETIME guarantee on their packs. That's a pretty nice thing to have.

Also - carrying a loaded sling-pack for a while gets old and uncomfortable pretty fast. If you're gonna get a sling pack, get one with a good supporting belt. And if you're gonna get a pack with a good supporting belt - may as well get two shoulder straps.

I have an Osprey Quasar (that I got for $30 at Meijer!) https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/quasar-QUASARNEW_550.html I like it quite a bit. It's going to replace my sling bag as what I take hiking.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like Osprey equipment. Probably at the opposite end of tactical since it is popular with hikers, backpackers and other nature loving, dred lock wearing, sandal clad millennials.:)

I have the Porter 30 model. It does have back and waist straps but you can tuck them into a zippered compartment on the back. I do that when I get on a plane so the straps aren't flailing around under my seat or in the overhead.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/porter-30-PORTER30.html

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I suppose it's a bit intergalacticly tactical, perhaps a bit immature but I think its sweet. If your into the Mandolorian thing.

61DkChRHE1L._SL1001_.jpg

Ok its not a good suggestion for gray man look.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I've had a North Face Kaban for about 7 or 8 months so far. Original intent was for a folding AR, and maybe one day it will fulfill that role.
    But until then, I use it to hold my pistol of choice, a laptop, first aid kit, and various tools.
    For the record, the main compartment is large enough to fit an 8.5" AR pistol with the buffer tube removed (or folded). I carry it everywhere I go and even when working in public spaces I don't get questioned about it.

PS - not sure why the photos are sideways.... isn't like that on my phone or laptop. W/e.

Attachments

• 2018-04-13 13.47.27.jpg
      2018-04-13 13.47.27.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 20
    • 2018-04-13 13.47.35.jpg
      2018-04-13 13.47.35.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 17

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    As far as non-tactical but tough, check out some packs from the skate/snowboard shops. I have an older Dakine backpack that is super tough but not huge, it’s school-backpack size. Really kind of perfect for EDC. I’d also recommend a Kelty Perigrine, similar size, very tough and comfortable to wear like the Dakine, but it might edge on he tactical side a bit. No MOLLE, but a black one would blend very well. Kelty MAP 3500 is a little bit bigger if you need more room.

Top Bottom