• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My use and goals for this holster: 1) active retention 2) To use the quick attachment addition with the holster to be able to transition from OWB holster, to battle belt, to fixed location mount like a car....
    This will not be used for conceal carry.
    All other variable aside I guess I'm asking: Is the difference simply a preference in how you draw and which unlocking mechanism feels more natural to you?
    My internet research so far looks like people are more using the ALS and less using the GLS? Reasons?
    ALS is the older design and you unlock the handgun with the thumb
    GLS is newer (2014ish?) and gets unlocked closer to the trigger guard. Technically the GLS sits closer to the body but my research shows it isn't significant.

Thoughts? Experiences?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks for posting this. I was thinking the same thing while reading the Serpa thread. I have a Serpa, and liked it, until INGO brought to light all the faults. :)

(I still like it, and am unconvinced that it is trash. But, it is good to know options.)

I would add a (polite) request for feedback about the versions that can accommodate a WML - specifically an X300.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Safariland makes a 73xx or a 63xx with ALS locking or ALS/SLS for several firearms with X300’s I have a 7TS 7377 with ALS for a G19 with X300U-A and another for the U-Boat.(X300U-B) just depends on your firearm. If it’s a standard mainstream duty gun, Safariland makes it most likely. If it’s a one-off Russian 9.2 Podybrin (sp?) you’re probably out of luck.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have a 7TS 7377 with ALS for a G19 with X300U-A

That's the model I'm looking at for the G23+X300. Any particular thoughts on that arrangement? And what brought you to the ALS instead of the GLS?

But, now that you mention it, I'll check and see if they have one for my 9x18 Mak. :D

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I'm an ALS / SLS user. Although I usually just keep the SLS hood down and only use the ALS thumb retention. I also use the Gcode RTI system for the QD option. i'm a police officer so its handy being able to switch belts / thigh rigs when needed.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    Ran a safariland 6305 and transitioned it from duty belt to thigh rig using the qls system. Worked like a charm. Plan on doing the same thing with this new safariland 6360rds. I prefer the sls/als combo. If I was choosing level 2 retention I would go with als but that is what I'm used to and what's natural for me. I don't think you can go wrong with either honestly, personal preference.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    That's the model I'm looking at for the G23+X300. Any particular thoughts on that arrangement? And what brought you to the ALS instead of the GLS?

But, now that you mention it, I'll check and see if they have one for my 9x18 Mak. :D
    Go to Safariland.com go to the holster finder and type in your gun info and it will show you your options. Sometimes it’s a little quirky, as Safariland has thousands of SKU’s

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

I prefer the ALS because for me, it’s almost impossible to muff the draw and disengage with the thumb (think grappling) as opposed to the GLS, where if you don’t have a proper firing grip, the disengagement is much more difficult.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Wow! I hadn't really looked at the complxity of their model number system yet for the holster itself. I was just looking at the sls and quick lock system so far. I've been looking through their site piecemeal and using the holster finder and still can't associate some of the acronyms with a holster body style, accessory combination, or intended use? I hate to be that guy but i'm going to need to get my hands on some.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Wow! I hadn't really looked at the complxity of their model number system yet for the holster itself. I was just looking at the sls and quick lock system so far. I've been looking through their site piecemeal and using the holster finder and still can't associate some of the acronyms with a holster body style, accessory combination, or intended use? I hate to be that guy but i'm going to need to get my hands on some.
    Their system is a real PITA to decipher.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have an ALS for my PPQ. I've run that setup in a pistol class and felt it was only slightly slower on the draw than a non-retention holster. Like mentioned above, I would like to mate the ALS to a GCode RTI system as I think that's one of the best QD mounts out there.

My ALS has a suede like inner liner. Not sure if that's present on all models but it's nice! Oh, the ALS can tear up a plastic front sight. I had to install metal sights on the Walther PPQ.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for posting this. I was thinking the same thing while reading the Serpa thread. I have a Serpa, and liked it, until INGO brought to light all the faults. :)

(I still like it, and am unconvinced that it is trash. But, it is good to know options.)

I would add a (polite) request for feedback about the versions that can accommodate a WML - specifically an X300.

A students Serpa failed at a recent Robert Vogel class. Some small part broke and prevented drawing the pistol. He had to find then cram a spent 22LR case into the lock before each drill.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have the Safariland ALS 7378 for both Glock 19 and Sig P320 with and without WML. I won’t carry with anything else. I’m on the west side of Indy if anyone wants to check one out. All have paddle and belt slide attachments but I stick with the paddles.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Their system is a real PITA to decipher.

I spent some time on there, too. Did the "find a holster" thing and entered in the G23+X300. It then listed the options. I picked an option that looked right... but then the specific details didn't show that it was compatible with the light. The pic was the "normal" version and when I added it to the cart, there was nothing that I could see to indicate it was the WML variant.

I guess I should call the customer service?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I spent some time on there, too. Did the "find a holster" thing and entered in the G23+X300. It then listed the options. I picked an option that looked right... but then the specific details didn't show that it was compatible with the light. The pic was the "normal" version and when I added it to the cart, there was nothing that I could see to indicate it was the WML variant.

I guess I should call the customer service?
    Try using a G19 for the search, more popular and all, and again the holster finder has a lot of quirks in it that say it won’t fit one gun/configuration, but it will fit another(such as wont fit a G23-x300, but will fit a G19-X300, which are externally identical). Customer service is way more help though.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I’m a fan of the ALS, and use it on and off duty. I know that they have holsters for Glocks with lights that use ALS, I’m not sure about GLS. It is one of their newer retention systems, and I haven’t seen it in the wild much. They may only have it in pistol only variants, due to the mechanism. It may not be functional with a light.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I thought the GLS was for a more universal holster. They had GLS holsters that fit a wide range of pistols.

ALS is a solid system. Can confirm that it will tear up plastic front sights.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Ok, for me anyway, this thread is less about als vs gls and more just wading through the options. Whats the difference between belt loops, and belt slide. I'm likely to remove either and use the quick attachment system but the holster comes with non-qls options.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ok, for me anyway, this thread is less about als vs gls and more just wading through the options. Whats the difference between belt loops, and belt slide. I'm likely to remove either and use the quick attachment system but the holster comes with non-qls options.
    Dunno exactly, but the standard 7TS and 6000 Series concealment holsters come with two attachment methods, both 3screw QLS compatible. The first is a paddle type attachment, the second being a belt loop attachment? If that’s clear as mud, welcome to Safariland!;)

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    2 recommendations:

get the gcode rti adapter and you can have 1000 different options for carry/duty use.

get the Nub mod for your ALS.

Top Bottom