Home made porable target stand (wind proof!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Home made portable target stand (wind proof!)

I built a totally portable and fairly wind proof (tested a while ago and the wind was around 12 MPH or better)target stand. The base is made of 2x4s and two heavy duty door hinges. with a couple of eye clips for the retractable "wings". The target backer is a very thin piece of peg board. The peg board is attached to uprights (which are 2x2s) with wing nuts on two bolts. The 2x2s are 5 feet long but I attached them with a 12 inch offset on top to make the target 6 foot total. The target is the standard FBI silhouette. It's attached with plastic clamps and 3 large binder clips.

Here is the base with the "wings" retracted:

View attachment 66504

The base is 31 inches long

Next shot is the base with the wings out and the 2x2s in the slots

View attachment 66505

And here it is all together:

View attachment 66506

View attachment 66507

Last edited:

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Hah...I didn't shoot it there! I just tested it out here at home to see if the wind would knock it over or shred my paper target

Anymore I do all my shooting at Redbrush

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    These are some that I put together that I really like. The key to these are the frames that allow a 2x4 to go through them and also slip into 3/4" pipe. They are easy to assemble and disassemble for moving. This is an old picture, and now I just loop the chain around the 2x4 and bolt it back onto itself. That works better than looping the chain over a 3.5" nail hammered into the top of the 2x4. Both ways worked, but the looped chain makes moving around a lot easier.

20160423_165907.jpg

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I too just built a stand. I used two 36" 2 x 4's and notched them in the center so they fit together as a cross (+). Then in one of the 2 x 4's I drilled two 1" diameter hole 3" deep about 25" apart. Next I took a
    1 x 4 and ripped it into 3/4 x 3/4 boards 5 1/2' long.

The 3/4 x 3/4 uprights slide into the 1" diameter holes with just a slight effort.

I then use plastic clamps to hold the corrugated cardboard to the uprights. I staple my targets to the cardboard.

No metal except for the staples. Completely disassemble without tools, makes a bundle about 4" x 4" x 65" when stored.

I keep a large Ziploc bag of sand handy if it is windy.

wsleigh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2018
    Greensburg
    I built one out of 2" PVC. I left most of the joints unglued so that a section could replaced if it got hit. It holds up very well and has good resistance to the wind. I do have two pieces of galvanized steel pipe that fit inside the pvc to use as counter weight, but have not had the need to use them yet. The whole thing breaks down and fits in one of the wife's IKEA bags for easy transport.

IMG_0177.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom