• ...and so much more!
  • oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I have been looking around for a work-around for my inability to see the front site of my pistol while wearing my everyday progressive lens glasses. I did get XS Big Dots installed, and that certainly helped, but didn't totally eliminate the blurry sight. I entertained the thought of ordering some upside-down bifocals, but that seemed like an unnecessary expense.

I finally scrolled down far enough on my Duck Duck Go search results, and arrived at these: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9B2LJV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I "installed" them onto my safety glasses, a process which took about 30 seconds, and off to the range I went. What a difference! The front sight was crystal clear, and I could make out the target at 25 feet well enough for self-defense purposes. If your eyes have betrayed you in your dotage as have mine, this is a reasonably inexpensive ($15) experiment to try. I included the results of my experience shooting 2 + 1 at 25 feet, knowing that it is nothing to brag about, but is far and away the best I have done at that distance so far. Although it was the first time I've used this brand of target, and it *did* remind me of the cubs, which may have helped my marksmanship.:joke:
    2018-07-31 16.45.27.jpg 2018-07-31 16.44.35.jpg 2018-07-31 16.05.47.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Question: whether this or some other visual aid . . .

When you need your gun for self-defense, will you be wearing the same glasses?

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    What diopter did you buy?
    I bought the maximum, which is 3x. If you go to the company's web site, you can print a template which will give you an idea of what strength you need.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Question: whether this or some other visual aid . . .

When you need your gun for self-defense, will you be wearing the same glasses?
    Fair enough question, rhino. Ever since I've started shooting, I've always included at least 1 magazine wearing no glasses at all: 2-handed, 1-handed strong, 1-handed weak. Today I wanted to see, at distances farther than 15 feet or so, how much of my performance I could blame on my eyesight and how much was just caused by poor technique. To misquote W.C.Fields.: "Ah yes, a little of both ".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fair enough question, rhino. Ever since I've started shooting, I've always included at least 1 magazine wearing no glasses at all: 2-handed, 1-handed strong, 1-handed weak. Today I wanted to see, at distances farther than 15 feet or so, how much of my performance I could blame on my eyesight and how much was just caused by poor technique. To misquote W.C.Fields.: "Ah yes, a little of both ".

Interesting. My eyes seem to vary from one range visit to the next or maybe it is just me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Small apertures are a really neat trick for boosting your visual acuity. This is why it's so much easier to see the sights on an AR than it is on an AK for those of is with aging eyes. Looking through a pin hole in a piece of paper is interesting to see how much difference it can make. There are even little apertures you can attach to your glasses with suction cups.

Sometimes when I don't have my glasses and I'm trying to see something clearly, I'll make a little hole with my finger and thumb and look through it and it helps.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Small apertures are a really neat trick for boosting your visual acuity. This is why it's so much easier to see the sights on an AR than it is on an AK for those of is with aging eyes. Looking through a pin hole in a piece of paper is interesting to see how much difference it can make. There are even little apertures you can attach to your glasses with suction cups.

Sometimes when I don't have my glasses and I'm trying to see something clearly, I'll make a little hole with my finger and thumb and look through it and it helps.
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=otay+pank...om/albums/zz40/pwiggi/OTAY-Buckwheat.jpg~c200

Like this?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I tried these. I couldn't seem to get them in just the right position. It seemed like I was "hunting" for them to line up with my eye. My wife was at the eye doc and told him about my vision and cross dominance issue. He sent her home with a couple sample contact lens. He said I should pop one in my right eye(non-dominant) and see if the front sight will clear up but leave my left to see down range. Monovision, if you will.

Right now I have a reader in the right lens and opaque tape over my left lens. It would be nice to lose the tape.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I tried these. I couldn't seem to get them in just the right position. It seemed like I was "hunting" for them to line up with my eye.

I had the same issue. I kept a glass of water handy and kept rewetting, sliding the lens around and checking the location. It was a bit if an iterative process, but I finally got them positioned just right.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    My solution was an RMR.

My RMR experience was not a pleasant one so I opted for a Vortex Venom and a Deltapoint Pro. Added benefit of shooting with both eyes open is also a plus. Not the cheapest fix but works very well for me.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had the same issue. I kept a glass of water handy and kept rewetting, sliding the lens around and checking the location. It was a bit if an iterative process, but I finally got them positioned just right.

If the contact lens idea doesn't work, I'll get those out and try again. Thanks.

Top Bottom