• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Okay so I consider myself a gun guy but I really know Jack about scopes. I have a Kidd rifle that I have a Nikon scope on, its okay 3x9 and I can see splatter targets at 50 yards when I hit them. What I am really looking for on the Ruger is a scope that I can use to see the holes at 100 yards. I know everyone is saying by a spotter scope but I would really rather not. My question is, with the right glass could I see a splatter target at 100 yards with a 3x9 or do I need to go 3x12, etc... I would like to keep the price around $300+/-

I have basically thought about the Leupold VX Freedom
    Vortex Crossfire 2
    Vortex Diamond back
    Nikon Rimfire Pro

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I can see 22 holes in paper at 100 yards with a quality 10x. I assume a quality 3-9 could easily see splatter targets.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Okay so I consider myself a gun guy but I really know Jack about scopes. I have a Kidd rifle that I have a Nikon scope on, its okay 3x9 and I can see splatter targets at 50 yards when I hit them. What I am really looking for on the Ruger is a scope that I can use to see the holes at 100 yards. I know everyone is saying by a spotter scope but I would really rather not. My question is, with the right glass could I see a splatter target at 100 yards with a 3x9 or do I need to go 3x12, etc... I would like to keep the price around $300+/-

Vortex Crossfire 2
    Vortex Diamond back
    Nikon Rimfire Pro

I'd go the Leupold VX-2 4x12x40 for about $350 if it were me

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I am not sure that I need to spend the extra $$ on FFP? That's a question 50 to 100 yards? I was looking for the VX-2 but was having a hard time finding it, not sure if they are still making it.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I am not sure that I need to spend the extra $$ on FFP? That's a question 50 to 100 yards? I was looking for the VX-2 but was having a hard time finding it, not sure if they are still making it.

I'm not expert on the topic, but it looks like the VX-1 and 2 lines may be becoming the Freedom line. I was looking at a couple Leupold optics I couldn't find anywhere and it appears they have equivalents out (or coming out) in the Freedom line.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm old. 6-24x for me to see .224 holes at 100 yds. Used leupold VXII or Bushnell 4500 Elite.. Don't get the rings until you get the scope. I bought Burris Signature Z mediums and had to steal a Svarovski with a smaller objective off a different rifle because the 40mm Leupold I planned on using hit the rail.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For 50-100 yards you do not need to spend the extra money on FFP (typically about a 200 dollar feature), but with the new Diamondback everyone is talking about your really getting FFP for free. A 4-16 zoom range with Diamondback glass is worth 350 in SFP. If you look at the Diamondback HP 4-16 it is 359 on its own.

DIAMONDBACK® TACTICAL 4-16x44 RIFLESCOPES FFP - BACK ORDER

These will be in stock today.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    For 50-100 yards you do not need to spend the extra money on FFP (typically about a 200 dollar feature), but with the new Diamondback everyone is talking about your really getting FFP for free. A 4-16 zoom range with Diamondback glass is worth 350 in SFP. If you look at the Diamondback HP 4-16 it is 359 on its own.

Makes me wish i had a spare $350. Been wanting to try a FFP scope. Looks like a heckuva deal.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake

exactly. Free FFP doesnt hurt, and if you decide to switch it to a different rifle now you have the FFP feature.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    I have the Nikon and Lepold

Vortex Crossfire 2
    Vortex Diamond back
    Nikon Rimfire Pro

You wont have any problem seeing splatter at 100 yards with either. It is when you miss one of the tiny multi target areas that you might need more mag. My Leopold has slightly better clarity but the Nikon knobs are better. Since my Leopold is on a 300 yard capable 223 and it has MOA reticle it is my favorite. The Nikon Prostaff with its busier BDC reticle is on a 22 bolt gun that sees action out to 100 yards from time to time. Both of my rifles are Ruger Americans. Also the Leopold doesn't come with lens capps. If I were a paper puncher I would go with a 12 mag, but I hunt so I rarely crank it past 6x in the areas I hunt in Indiana.

I think you you would be happy with either based or n your initial use statement.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I was just testing the new vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 for $399 on my 6.5 CM Ruger precision. Held well, nice and clear. 2/3 MOA at 300 yards with Norma match. I like the mil dot reticle for easier zeroing with no math.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    More magnification is better for me to see hits and misses at longer yardage. What's the downside to investing in quality QD mounts to move one scope among more than one rifle with picatiny rails?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    More magnification is better for me to see hits and misses at longer yardage. What's the downside to investing in quality QD mounts to move one scope among more than one rifle with picatiny rails?
    I’m not sure a quality QD exists that doesn’t cost more than a passable scope.

I'm very pleased with my SWFA classic for .22lr. Very clear, accurate turrets, and —importantly— parallax down to 10m. That makes 12x very useful because you can focus closer.

and it’s $300 and tough with a lifetime warranty.

Top Bottom