• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    dzQptfH.jpg

What do you consider a "Bump Helmet" and what do you use them for?
    You mean like combat type with Coms and NV flip down?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Ballistic. I ran a bump until I bought a MICH. The MICH and Crye are "bulletproofish".

I'm not concerned about bullet proof as much as comfort and useability. I also need the helmet to work with some kind of ski mask since I'll be using it when it's cold outside.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm not concerned about bullet proof as much as comfort and useability. I also need the helmet to work with some kind of ski mask since I'll be using it when it's cold outside.
    I was answering why the MICH and Crye were better. Bump helmets are what they are, a d Protec makes a good one. You'll still need to buy some sort of ballast, such as the TNVC Tomahawk. I'd really look at or into a surplus MICH, as they can function well without ballast, but it's still good to have. A bump helmet, it's nearly mandatory to have ballast.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You can mount a 3 hole shroud to just about anything. I recommend team Wendy. It’s the most comfortable and most stable bump helmet there is and I’ve tried them all.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have a Team Wendy Exfil bump that supports my PVS-14, no complaints other than their company's political leanings. Good airflow and the ratchet system for sizing is excellent. Mine's the carbon fiber version and it's very light... definitely requires a ballast with NODs, I use one that uses a strobe and batteries for ballast from OSOE. It's infinitely more comfortable than a USGI kevlar, which is the only other helmet I cam compare it to. I use a Wilcox G-24(?) mount and arm and between them and the Team Wendy helmet, the PVS-14 stays right where I want it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have a Team Wendy Exfil bump that supports my PVS-14, no complaints other than their company's political leanings. Good airflow and the ratchet system for sizing is excellent. Mine's the carbon fiber version and it's very light... definitely requires a ballast with NODs, I use one that uses a strobe and batteries for ballast from OSOE. It's infinitely more comfortable than a USGI kevlar, which is the only other helmet I cam compare it to. I use a Wilcox G-24(?) mount and arm and between them and the Team Wendy helmet, the PVS-14 stays right where I want it.

Oh my gosh those things are expensive!!

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    The biggest advantage in getting a true dedicated bump helmet these days, if strictly talking about NVG mounting, is that it comes with some functionality built in from the get go... for example take the ops core bump, it comes with a built in shroud, $60. If comes with ARC rails ($90) and it comes with a suspension system that is usually pretty good especially for the weigh needed to support (say 70)..... so really you are just buying the acessories... on a 50 dollar helmet.

I started my NVG story on an opscore bump, then moved to a crye nightcap, and now on a ballistic. They each have their merits and drawbacks. But at the end of the day, if you dont have a need for a ballistic... the ops core bump would do plenty.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've heard nothing but good things on the team wendy bumps. A lot of guys say that they just fit them better. I've got two opscore bumps and sadly that's all I've really got any experience with. Have you gotten out to use it or is is just comfortable putting it on?

Top Bottom