Safe organization, lighting, and dehumidifying...GO!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    What kind of devices are you all using for in-safe lighting? How about shelf and/or door organizers? How about plug-in dehumidifying?

My safe has a peg-board interior. Do I want to get pegboard accessories for it - or get a door organizer?

I know that Golden Rods are kind of The Name in plug-in moisture control - but are there others? https://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-725721-Original-Dehumidifier/dp/B00DBTCFGY

How about storage racks for the shelves? What do you use to save space?

What about something to put down the barrel of a little itty bitty .22 rifle so it'll reach the rifle racks? What kind of dowel?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hanging stuff on the door frees up more room and you get quicker access to it. I use the golden rod for humidity control, but check everything periodically as it dries out old leather.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't have much in my safe so I don't need a bunch of doodads. However I so use Rifle Rods for my rifles. They are great and they fit down the barrel of a .22. I have a GoldenRod and I have a battery powered LED light but don't turn it on much. I have plenty of light just outside the door that lights up the safe pretty good.

Iv'e thought about different brackets and such for my handguns but again I don't have many and they can just sit on the shelves. I have nothing on my door.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I got more shelf clips and put a shelf up by the top for laptop and gun storage. I line my cases upright on shelves, each one easily accessible. I haven't had a problem storing guns in the plastic cases with the foam, but I wouldn't store them in a fabric lined carry case, a towel, the cardboard box they came in, or a presentation box. Moisture will eventually get in there. I double stack 6 ammo boxes under the bottom shelf. If you don't have door storage, you can add it. Mine came with wide straps to holster weapons and clips, pockets, and mole attachments. I attach the pockets from my mole bag to the door. I use a couple of the door holsters to secure guns from the GunVaults when I leave. I have a ceiling light above the front of the safe and a small flashlight inside the door if I need it. I didn't want to put stick up lights on the fireproofing. I have a safe dehumidifier but I don't use it. It's not in a garage or basement.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The goldenrod is just a controlled temp heater, a low wattage light bulb works too but has more/worse potential failure modes.

rifle rods here too and the handgun equivalent. need to figure something out though as it's getting quite crowded of late.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What kind of devices are you all using for in-safe lighting? How about shelf and/or door organizers? How about plug-in dehumidifying?

My safe has a peg-board interior. Do I want to get pegboard accessories for it - or get a door organizer?

I know that Golden Rods are kind of The Name in plug-in moisture control - but are there others? https://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-725721-Original-Dehumidifier/dp/B00DBTCFGY

How about storage racks for the shelves? What do you use to save space?

What about something to put down the barrel of a little itty bitty .22 rifle so it'll reach the rifle racks? What kind of dowel?

1. In safe lighting: I have the push button lights and the motion detector stairwell lights.

2. Shelf-organizers: not have. Just eat up space. I stack handguns on the shelves like we did at Galyan's. For the door (Johnson, pegboard too) I use plastic "Power Pegs" bought on line. I keep the guns I take a lot to the range on the door for easier access.

3. Plug in dehumidifier: Sure, golden rod came with the big one. And I bough the bags from Amazon. Keep 3 or 4 bags in a safe. Best thing I did was divert the water away from the house. Basement is dry as a bone. Very happy.

I built carpet-covered daises for my safes. Keeps the safes off the floor and scratch free. Plus, if you are tall (I am onl 6' 1") it helps prevent having to bend over as much when rooting about the safe.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Go here for 1/4" peg board hooks, they are removable and sturdy https://www.talonhooks.com/index.asp. Use two per handgun to hang on door (I do not use the trigger guard as a hanging point).

Golden Rod wired through a humidistat controls humidity to level you select and keeps Golden Rod from running all the time.

I have 18" florescent lights mounted under each shelf- on /off switch is in the light.

Wood dowels will hold moisture so I use PVC pipe over the barrel for those short ones. You can cut a slot for the front sight. I just drop them over the barrel only far enough to get the support I want.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    I use white led strips with a motion detector attached. https://www.banggood.com/5M-White-3...erproof-12V-DC-300-LED-p-77079.html?rmmds=buy and https://www.banggood.com/DC5-24V-4A...1225375.html?rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts__4
    . the led strips on stuck on the inside of the door frame all the way around so it lights everything. also use a golden rod.

20180514_200550_zpsjfnq56ye.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    1. In safe lighting: I have the push button lights and the motion detector stairwell lights.

2. Shelf-organizers: not have. Just eat up space. I stack handguns on the shelves like we did at Galyan's. For the door (Johnson, pegboard too) I use plastic "Power Pegs" bought on line. I keep the guns I take a lot to the range on the door for easier access.

3. Plug in dehumidifier: Sure, golden rod came with the big one. And I bough the bags from Amazon. Keep 3 or 4 bags in a safe. Best thing I did was divert the water away from the house. Basement is dry as a bone. Very happy.

1) So, then, your lights aren't "hard wired"? Battery operated push lights?
    2) My thoughts were similar about those wire organizers - that they take up a lot of real estate. I think I'd like to hang things from the pegboard. What "power pegs" did you get? A google search didn't turn up much
    3) My safe is in a climate-controlled room that's not in a basement. I don't think I need the extra security that the big bags of silica gel would help with. Plus, those need baked at regular intervals to "recharge" them. I'd forget to do it.

Go here for 1/4" peg board hooks, they are removable and sturdy https://www.talonhooks.com/index.asp. Use two per handgun to hang on door (I do not use the trigger guard as a hanging point).

Golden Rod wired through a humidistat controls humidity to level you select and keeps Golden Rod from running all the time.

I have 18" florescent lights mounted under each shelf- on /off switch is in the light.

Wood dowels will hold moisture so I use PVC pipe over the barrel for those short ones. You can cut a slot for the front sight. I just drop them over the barrel only far enough to get the support I want.

I'd been on the TalonHook website before. Which hooks do you use for handguns? And which hooks are likely to hold a long gun if I choose to hang one?
    Which humidstat do you use? That sounds like nice idea. For me, I'd like a plug-in unit that the Golden Rod would then be plugged into. If it involves wiring, I can't do it. :-D
    And a length of PVC pipe over the barrel of that little Crickett .22 seems like a fantastic idea!! I was thinking about something IN the bore. Going over the barrel seems almost too easy.

I use white led strips with a motion detector attached. https://www.banggood.com/5M-White-3...erproof-12V-DC-300-LED-p-77079.html?rmmds=buy and https://www.banggood.com/DC5-24V-4A...1225375.html?rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts__4
    . the led strips on stuck on the inside of the door frame all the way around so it lights everything. also use a golden rod.

Did you use the entire length of those lights? I'm not at all handy, so if it requires cutting and/or re-wiring, it's probably not for me. :-D

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    1)Did you use the entire length of those lights? I'm not at all handy, so if it requires cutting and/or re-wiring, it's probably not for me. :-D

nope, they are marked to cut like every 3 leds. just use scissors. i did have to find a 12v wall wart to use though. but the one wall wart powers both pir sensor and the leds i believe.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009

Light bulbs, shelving racks and slatwall!!!! Sorry I couldn’t resist. It is far from organized or finished, but I’m not gonna run outta room for a long time.

1z87ph.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1) So, then, your lights aren't "hard wired"? Battery operated push lights?
    2) My thoughts were similar about those wire organizers - that they take up a lot of real estate. I think I'd like to hang things from the pegboard. What "power pegs" did you get? A google search didn't turn up much
    3) My safe is in a climate-controlled room that's not in a basement. I don't think I need the extra security that the big bags of silica gel would help with. Plus, those need baked at regular intervals to "recharge" them. I'd forget to do it.

Correct, lights are push button type.

You can get plastic J and L hooks on line on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/WallPeg-100-...ocphy=9016720&hvtargid=pla-349817132125&psc=1

I like the solid ones such as those on the right:

Wall-Pegboard-Hooks-J-Pegs-Peg-Board-L.jpg

You safe is closed, yes? You should have the bags.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have a NAS file server in my safe. It keeps the safe temperature slightly elevated but not too hot for electronics. I've got a silica gel can in there too just in case.

I'm using the included Liberty battery operated lights. They are meh...

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Tried to source polymer pegboard hooks locally yesterday. Struck out at Rural King, TSC, and Harbor Freight.

Rockler has some on their website, don't know about in their store. But I'm too far away from the Rockler store to make it worth the trip just for those anyhow.

Looks like I'll be ordering hooks online.

I did also pick up a heater rod yesterday at Rural King. And a 24oz beef stick.

My safe is in a climate-controlled room. I'm not tooooo worried about moisture, but I plugged in the heater rod just in case.

I THINK I'll probably get those battery operated LED "pop" lights for lighting. Should be easy enough to mount with velcro.

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Light bulbs, shelving racks and slatwall!!!! Sorry I couldn’t resist. It is far from organized or finished, but I’m not gonna run outta room for a long time.

1z87ph.jpg
    That's so cool!! have you reinforced the walls around the door to prevent someone just going through the wall instead of the door?

Top Bottom