Vortex Diamondback tactical FFP / opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I have searched online for reviews on this new offering however am not finding much useable information.
    Does anyone have one and care to post likes/dislikes? I am considering the 4-16 FFP to go on a 24” 300 Win.
    Rifle will serve as a deer rig and longer range fun gun at paper and steel at 600 meters or so. I occasionally shoot past that but want something with more oomph than my 308.
    I found a retailer that I can get one at a reasonable price and like most of the features and reticle.
    Other sub 400 dollar scopes I should consider? I typically like lower zoom on the bottom end. But want more than my 3-12 on the top end.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have searched online for reviews on this new offering however am not finding much useable information.
    Does anyone have one and care to post likes/dislikes? I am considering the 4-16 FFP to go on a 24” 300 Win.
    Rifle will serve as a deer rig and longer range fun gun at paper and steel at 600 meters or so. I occasionally shoot past that but want something with more oomph than my 308.
    I found a retailer that I can get one at a reasonable price and like most of the features and reticle.
    Other sub 400 dollar scopes I should consider? I typically like lower zoom on the bottom end. But want more than my 3-12 on the top end.

You hit the nail on the head. Nothing in its price range will compare. Keep in mind this is a hard to find item, and most online retailer's are not as honest as most folks would expect them to be about inventory or ETA's. Very few places in the US have that product in stock ready to ship, so I would make 100% certain he has it in his hands ready to ship. If they dont, I do.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've narrowed my choices for my .308 down to the Diamondback Tactical 4-16X44 FFP and the Strike Eagle 3-18X44.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've narrowed my choices for my .308 down to the Diamondback Tactical 4-16X44 FFP and the Strike Eagle 3-18X44.

Pros each way

Strike eagle has better glass
    Strike eagle has better turrets
    Strike eagle has illumination
    Strike eagle has better zoom range
    Strike eagle has more internal travel

Diamondback has FFP
    Diamondback is cheaper

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I am right there with you on this. There are more reviews of the 4-24 than the 3-18.
    I capped my budget at 400 ish for mine.
    If you get either I would be interested in opinions. if only this was a knife discussion I would have a range report tomorrow and your opinions on it....

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    You hit the nail on the head. Nothing in its price range will compare. Keep in mind this is a hard to find item, and most online retailer's are not as honest as most folks would expect them to be about inventory or ETA's. Very few places in the US have that product in stock ready to ship, so I would make 100% certain he has it in his hands ready to ship. If they dont, I do.
    thanks Alan. I wish you had a PST 4-16 refurb and were not on the wrong side of the state. I am pretty sure if I handled a few Vortex options I would decide. The SE is appealing also.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    We just had a review posted a few minutes ago on the Diamondback tac 4-16

"fantastic ! all scope functions preform above expectations . 10 out of 10 !!!! easily a 1300.00 $ value . i will compare them to my leupold mark 4 m1's tomorrow and add some more detail to this review . i have tested them against SWFA SS the two i purchased outperform the SWFA SS in clarity and brightness and have more positive audible elevation and winddage adjustment ."

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Really respect your opinion and all you do for the forum Alan, and understand that was only a quote from a customer and not your statement.

But I respectfully disagree with comparing the Diamondback series (even the FFP version) to the SWFA SS line. The reviewer you quoted was comparing Japanese LOW glass and in some of those models HD glass to a more budget friendly PI build with the Diamondback. I have some of the Diamondback scopes, and these will no doubt be awesome for what you pay. But they are not on par with any LOW scopes.

I think that customer is still in the honeymoon phase with his Diamondback. Hope he or she continues to enjoy it. But right now, it’s being put on a pedestal in that persons mind. They don’t compete with $1300 scopes or anything coming out of LOW.

All that said.....OP, you aren’t going to find a more feature packed scope for $400. You can have a more robust scope or one with better glass, but you won’t get anything with this many features that works for that price. Bump your budget $300 more, and you get into the next level.

Also.....buy from Alan. He’s a good dude, has reasonable prices, and stands behind what he sells.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Really respect your opinion and all you do for the forum Alan, and understand that was only a quote from a customer and not your statement.

But I respectfully disagree with comparing the Diamondback series (even the FFP version) to the SWFA SS line. The reviewer you quoted was comparing Japanese LOW glass and in some of those models HD glass to a more budget friendly PI build with the Diamondback. I have some of the Diamondback scopes, and these will no doubt be awesome for what you pay. But they are not on par with any LOW scopes.

I think that customer is still in the honeymoon phase with his Diamondback. Hope he or she continues to enjoy it. But right now, it’s being put on a pedestal in that persons mind. They don’t compete with $1300 scopes or anything coming out of LOW.

All that said.....OP, you aren’t going to find a more feature packed scope for $400. You can have a more robust scope or one with better glass, but you won’t get anything with this many features that works for that price. Bump your budget $300 more, and you get into the next level.

Also.....buy from Alan. He’s a good dude, has reasonable prices, and stands behind what he sells.

I couldn't agree with your assessment more. As you said, this is a customer's words not mine. I figured if your reading online review's to begin with, your going to read about how the Barska line is far superior than the S&B, so we misewell balance it out a bit.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    :ingo:

I couldn't agree with your assessment more. As you said, this is a customer's words not mine. I figured if your reading online review's to begin with, your going to read about how the Barska line is far superior than the S&B, so we misewell balance it out a bit.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal

4-16 FFP diamondback tactical is on amazon direct from Vortex for $349 free shipping if you have prime. Vortex Optics Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 First Focal Plane Riflescopes - EBR-2C (MOA) Tactical Reticle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G8LS5N3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_omOZBbGAKJ547

that’s where I bought my 6-24. 5% back if you have an amazon card!

edit: as far the features... Decent glass (not great, but not mediocre by any means). Outstanding radical. Outstanding features. Best in class at price point. Most decent scopes have an up charge for FFP similar to the price of this scope. A+++ from Goodcat.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    4-16 FFP diamondback tactical is on amazon direct from Vortex for $349 free shipping if you have prime. Vortex Optics Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 First Focal Plane Riflescopes - EBR-2C (MOA) Tactical Reticle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G8LS5N3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_omOZBbGAKJ547

that’s where I bought my 6-24. 5% back if you have an amazon card!

edit: as far the features... Decent glass (not great, but not mediocre by any means). Outstanding radical. Outstanding features. Best in class at price point. Most decent scopes have an up charge for FFP similar to the price of this scope. A+++ from Goodcat.

I've got it for the exact same price, so why support Amazon over me??? If a things are equal wouldn't it make sense to support business's that donate to 2a causes, and make sites like ingo possible?

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012

that’s where I bought my 6-24. 5% back if you have an amazon card! 

How much dialing have you done with the scope? Do you holdover? How is the eye box on the 6-24? Does it tunnel?
    I had a viper HS LR and it would tunnel over 21 power.
    What are your impressions in low light?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've got it for the exact same price, so why support Amazon over me??? If a things are equal wouldn't it make sense to support business's that donate to 2a causes, and make sites like ingo possible?

I can't speak for anyone else, but as soon as I get a new job and I'm back on track financially, you will have my business for either the Diamondback Tactical or the Strike Eagle. I was favorably impressed by our first transaction and the advice you provided.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So I have a little experience with the new diamondback 4-16x FFP. I bought the 4-16x over the other models because it has more max elevation adjustment built into the scope. I put this on a Savage FV-SR 22lr, that I use in my backyard for plinking out to 300 yards on steel plates. Luckily for some of the comments on this so far comparing it to a SWFA, the scope I took off that rifle was an SWFA 10x that I had been using for the same thing. Personally, I like both those scope for their intended uses. Full disclosure I only buy scopes from Alan anymore and this was probably the 5th or 6th optic of some kind I've bought from him. Every time I've gotten great advice/service and a quickly shipped scope at a great price.

My diamondback tactical has only been a little bit so far. Obviously it's new, so I can't lay claim to years of beating on it. What I can say, is that I really like it and I regret nothing. I like using holds rather than dialing. With that in mind, I have very casually shot using holds, then dial in what I was holding and the two match up. That's nice, that it does what it's supposed to do. The glass is pretty clear, and I'm falling in love with the reticle. In particular I really like the open center of the crosshair. It's not a big heavy clunky kind of scope like the SWFA 10x, and feels a little more light and handy.

All things considered folks unless something just completely falls apart on this rifle, I plan to recommend it to friends and family from what I've seen so far. I'm not really trying to do anything that hardcore with my scoped 22lr so for me it's just a fun range toy. Maybe someone else has more of a torture test review, but for me I just bolted it on the gun, leveled it and started shooting. It's a 4-16x FFP scope with an outstanding reticle in addition to 85 MOA of adjustment for under $400. What else can I say, I'm happy with the scope and I don't plan to buy anything from anywhere except aaoptics.com

I'll get pictures up later.

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    So I have a little experience with the new diamondback 4-16x FFP. I bought the 4-16x over the other models because it has more max elevation adjustment built into the scope. I put this on a Savage FV-SR 22lr, that I use in my backyard for plinking out to 300 yards on steel plates. Luckily for some of the comments on this so far comparing it to a SWFA, the scope I took off that rifle was an SWFA 10x that I had been using for the same thing. Personally, I like both those scope for their intended uses. Full disclosure I only buy scopes from Alan anymore and this was probably the 5th or 6th optic of some kind I've bought from him. Every time I've gotten great advice/service and a quickly shipped scope at a great price.

My diamondback tactical has only been a little bit so far. Obviously it's new, so I can't lay claim to years of beating on it. What I can say, is that I really like it and I regret nothing. I like using holds rather than dialing. With that in mind, I have very casually shot using holds, then dial in what I was holding and the two match up. That's nice, that it does what it's supposed to do. The glass is pretty clear, and I'm falling in love with the reticle. In particular I really like the open center of the crosshair. It's not a big heavy clunky kind of scope like the SWFA 10x, and feels a little more light and handy.

All things considered folks unless something just completely falls apart on this rifle, I plan to recommend it to friends and family from what I've seen so far. I'm not really trying to do anything that hardcore with my scoped 22lr so for me it's just a fun range toy. Maybe someone else has more of a torture test review, but for me I just bolted it on the gun, leveled it and started shooting. It's a 4-16x FFP scope with an outstanding reticle in addition to 85 MOA of adjustment for under $400. What else can I say, I'm happy with the scope and I don't plan to buy anything from anywhere except aaoptics.com

Thank you for your input on this and I am glad to see that you have held and dialed.
    Posts like this help with dialogue and I value this more so than a YouTube video review.

one last question—-does the reticle get lost at 4x in low light? I am not opposed to spending more for a SE that is illuminated....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thank you for your input on this and I am glad to see that you have held and dialed.
    Posts like this help with dialogue and I value this more so than a YouTube video review.

one last question—-does the reticle get lost at 4x in low light? I am not opposed to spending more for a SE that is illuminated....

Yes, the reticle on 4x will get lost a bit in low light. That is just a product of trying to make a low cost FFP (IE, functions perfectly without illumination).

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

I do feel this scope has better glass than the SWFA fixed power scopes. Ive had a few, and the glass on them is absolutely horrible in my opinion. Most scopes get blurrier as you go to the edge's. I never had a SWFA fixed power scope do that. They started blurry in the center, and kept it consistent all the way to the edges.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    On 4x the Christmas tree reticle gets a little bit light and harder to see, but it's still workable. If you're really worried about a low light shot get a PST with the illumination. I've got two pst's and I still havent used the illumination on a hunt yet, but that's just me.

Top Bottom