• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    Rangefinders, I've never owned one and know very little about them. I need one for 400 yds. and under for rifle and archery for 50 yds. and less. I'd like t to stay between $200 and $300 with angle compensation, any suggestions? thanks

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Angle compensation is unnecessary in Indiana, for the most part.

If you want to range fur at 400 yards, get a unit intended for 600-1,000 yards, or it will not reliably have enough power on non-reflectives (like a deer's flank on a foggy day) to range at the STATED maximum.

I've been happy with the Bushnell Elite 1500, as far as power in concerned, and it's entirely workable, but the optical quality sucks bigtime.

-Nate

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've used range finders a little differently. After getting a stand up I use them to get ranges on trees around the stand and remember those numbers. I don't think I've ever used one to hunt.

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    I've used range finders a little differently. After getting a stand up I use them to get ranges on trees around the stand and remember those numbers. I don't think I've ever used one to hunt.
    I will too, I'm always amused by the way TV hunters use their range finders. I've seldom seen deer that stand still long enough for them to range for such a long time.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I range trees and other landmarks when I get into the stand as well but whenever possible I hit the deer with one before taking a shot. The buck my partner killed Saturday stood stone still eating a cob or corn for three minutes so had had plenty of time to double check the distance as well as a few things on either side of him.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Tv hunters dont sit the same stand more than once or twice a year, then they are on to the next outfitter. I have one stand that has been in the same tree for 20 years, at 15-20 sits a year. I've got the ranges pretty much burned into my mind.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Yeah, those damn TV hunters probably don't know what they're doing without a rangefinder and professional guide.

-Nate

Top Bottom