• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    My nephew is done with Parris Island on 12/14 and I'd like to get him a gift. Having been in the Army, I'm pretty certain he'll be limited in the things he can carry/wear in the USMC. I'm guessing a quality flashlight or a knife would be acceptable to most chains of command... in the pocket if not attached to his LBE (or whatever it's called these days). He'll be going to school for radio communications after his 10 day leave and I have no idea if that will lead to being a PLT/Company/BN level position.
    Anyways, it would probably be a Bad Thing to show up with anything from Harbor Freight... suggestions are solicited.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    A kabar was the coolest you could receive as a boot. I was never gifted one. So my last week in, I bought one for myself. More practical would be a solid pocket knive, It will get abused and used, so it better be quality or it won't last. The rule was smaller than your palm or 3.5" blade. A leatherman would be another great option.

Some cash for a moto tat, down payment for a high interest mustang or some crayons would also be much appreciated.
    'Rah

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    A gift card to Toby's for while he's at SOI East in Jacksonville, NC..He will go there after his 10 day leave for about a month and he might have a 10+ day limbo time there before SOI starts waiting for the next recruit class to graduate and get leave to get there from Parris Island.
    I would suggest not buying him a KBar or any other sheath knife because he will not be able to keep it with him in his squad bay or barracks. Mine is at 29 Palms and they are limited to a 3 1/2" blade knife. The rule of thumb is the blade can't go across the width of your palm.
    I believe they can have on for there first deployment. Looks like mine will be going to Okinawa in April???

Are you going to his recruit and then his SOI graduationss?
    Tell the young man, Thanks and SEMPER FI.. Oorah....

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    A gift card to Toby's for while he's at SOI East in Jacksonville, NC..He will go there after his 10 day leave for about a month and he might have a 10+ day limbo time there before SOI starts waiting for the next recruit class to graduate and get leave to get there from Parris Island.
    I would suggest not buying him a KBar or any other sheath knife because he will not be able to keep it with him in his squad bay or barracks. Mine is at 29 Palms and they are limited to a 3 1/2" blade knife. The rule of thumb is the blade can't go across the width of your palm.
    I believe they can have on for there first deployment. Looks like mine will be going to Okinawa in April???

Are you going to his recruit and then his SOI graduationss?
    Tell the young man, Thanks and SEMPER FI.. Oorah....

My understanding is that after his leave he will go directly to 29 Palms to the Marine Corps Communication-Electronics School to become an 0621/06xx (not sure how that works, but my brother says he's going to be a field radio operator) where he could be in limbo as well, so point taken about the gift card. I will be attending his recruit graduation; as luck would have it I'll be in Charlotte for work that week so I'm renting a car and driving down the night before... I just have to decide how much 82nd Airborne apparel to wear LOL :stickpoke:

Edit: I talked to my brother and he is going to Camp Geiger/LeJeune/Jacksonville for SOI(?) before he goes to 29 Palms.

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    A kabar was the coolest you could receive as a boot. I was never gifted one. So my last week in, I bought one for myself. More practical would be a solid pocket knive, It will get abused and used, so it better be quality or it won't last. The rule was smaller than your palm or 3.5" blade. A leatherman would be another great option.

Some cash for a moto tat, down payment for a high interest mustang or some crayons would also be much appreciated.
    'Rah

I gave him Crayolas at his going away party, and he's more of a truck kinda guy... and I guess a tat is preferable to the stretched earlobe thing?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Spyderco PM2 for a knife.....actually, maybe get him a Benchmade or ZT since they have blade replacement for cheap if he snaps the tip off. Just make sure he knows not to throw it away if he breaks it. BM or ZT will fix it. If he's going to beat the tar out of it and maybe use it as a pry bar or screwdriver.....Spyderco is not the knife for that.

Elzetta or Surefire for a light. Preferably Elzetta.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    The kabar is mostly ceremonial for marines. I have never used mine. I gravitate towards my benchmade for my fixed blade. Even then, i don't know a single person that carried a fixed blade. Although 2 of my marines, one strapped a tomahawk and another had throwing knives on their vest. Lol

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I offered to purchase my son a Kabar when he finished OCS and received his commission. He did not want it. Said he could not use it on base, as I recall, and thought it was not practical. Might be different for the enlisted men, or for ground troops (my son was going to flight school as electronics officer). I ended up purchasing him a very good watch, similar to a dive watch, so he could use it when in the water. Hope hat helps. Congrats on the graduation and best wishes to the new Marine.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    My understanding is that after his leave he will go directly to 29 Palms to the Marine Corps Communication-Electronics School to become an 0621/06xx (not sure how that works, but my brother says he's going to be a field radio operator) where he could be in limbo as well, so point taken about the gift card. I will be attending his recruit graduation; as luck would have it I'll be in Charlotte for work that week so I'm renting a car and driving down the night before... I just have to decide how much 82nd Airborne apparel to wear LOL :stickpoke:

Edit: I talked to my brother and he is going to Camp Geiger/LeJeune/Jacksonville for SOI(?) before he goes to 29 Palms.

Camp Geiger is part of New River Air Station, when driving up the the front gate at New river / Geiger you turn left to go to Geiger / New River and go strait to one entrance to LeJeune and turn right to drive into Tobys parking lot. I stayed at The Quality Inn a few miles before the base entrances, very reasonable rates and a darn good free breakfast.
    When I went to his Parris graduation we stayed at Sleep Inn also a few miles from the Island, If you like seafood hit Dockside seafood restaurant for a great meal, beware, lots of grunts and barking from the bar area, lots of fun.
    We found the hotel on Choice Hotel website because they had some good deals for Parris Island.
    My son and all the other recruits were on buses within 45 minutes of graduating from SOI. He was taken by bus to the airport and that afternoon he flew to Palm Springs and was met but a few other Marines in the Company he would now be part of. My sons MOS is 0352 Missile Launcher, He launches Javelin and tow missiles.

Make sure you bring Valid ID, car registration and proof of car insurance so you wont have problems getting on base.
    Mine thought he was home free with me not yelling anything at his basic graduation*** He was part of Honor Platoon and right at the end I yelled HONOR PLATOON 3045 and his middle name and then BARKED a bit and you could hear it across the Parade deck. I have the video of the graduation and you clearly can hear me yell..
    It was absolutely great to watch you son not only graduate but also become a brother. Oorah

PS, If you want to mail him stuff while he is at 29 Palms, its easier to jump on Facebook and a few women have a mail delivery service called Heart to Heart delivery's and you ship them your package and they will call you Marine and set up to deliver it and my son tips them a few bucks. Getting mail is a PITA for single Marines living in the Barracks. This way is painless.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I offered to purchase my son a Kabar when he finished OCS and received his commission. He did not want it. Said he could not use it on base, as I recall, and thought it was not practical. Might be different for the enlisted men, or for ground troops (my son was going to flight school as electronics officer). I ended up purchasing him a very good watch, similar to a dive watch, so he could use it when in the water. Hope hat helps. Congrats on the graduation and best wishes to the new Marine.

Your son just sent me a text, It said tell my loving father to send me a Rolex Daytona..

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    aA4REf0.jpg

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    My advice? Get him something personalized. The idea of a knife knife, pocket style, is best, I think.

Something like this, with a name and a date from Uncle Mammynun. He will treasure it always.

usmc-benchmade-551-griptilian-folding_1_86a34231e510edc25b653b2ad62da2d3.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom