• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dvapro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Anyone have thoughts on quick release AR mounts?
    There are so many on the market and pretty much every review I see is sponsored and only has good things to say

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I prefer Bobro

American Defense and Midwest Industries are solid too

Larues are the "gold standard" for quick release, their machining is spot on, weight is light, but the auto adjust Bobro has is super slick, I like their machining better, and I know it's a petty complaint I like how other mounts don't scar the receiver unlike the Larue mounts (it's not a deal breaker for me, just a "just sayin" thing)

Have owned Bobro, Larue, and American Defense. Have not owned a Midwest Industries yet but will get one for a RMR co witness for an AR pistol (lighter than the ADM offering)

Oh forgot, have a couple GDI mounts for Acogs and have fitted them for use on the RX01, they're solid just bulky and definitely not sure on their retail. There's a trade off with GDI

Have a Sphur mount too which is beyond awesome, perfect machining and love the thought behind it, it's a fixed mount though but sure their QR mount is solid

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Being honest with yourself, are you really going to "quick" change sighting systems? Do you really need the flexibility at the cost of stone reliability? Or is it more about sex appeal?

These aren't questions I need to know the answers to, but you do.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have used Bobro and American Defense. Not a huge difference in my opinion. Both work and would be fine for even serious rifle use.

EDIT: this in reference to red dot sights. I have no experience with their scope mounts.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like the idea of being able to swap in a higher magnification scope for precise load development, then back to whatever might live on the gun.

Similarly, putting a more expensive scope to work on more than one gun is a plus to me. For example, my back door .243 varmint scope can also go to work on the long range .22LR rifle for the monthly match and then back.

Also, removing a problem scope to flip up the irons is handy.

I have Larue and ADM mounts. Only the Larues have been moved much. I have yet to have them return perfectly to zero. So far, there are still too many variables to determine that It's not my own inexperience and inconsistency at fault.

Last edited:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The idea of using something to its full potential and the actual application of it are two different things. If you aren’t going to use it as intended save the extra $ and get the most robust fixed mount you can. While qd is “sexy” to some and does have its purpose, the qd hardware is a point of weakness that can fail.
    And remeber, qd only means tool less. Many fixed mounts can be moved from one host to another with nothing more than 2 minutes of turning two 1/2” nuts. That pretty qd to me

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you feel you need QD do it right and get QD release that returns to zero like Bobro, American defense, or Larue. Don't half ass it and get something that you will have to re zero every time you take it off like a Burris PEPR. Why would you take it off if you know you will have to re zero putting it back on.

Most every rifle I own has a QD mount on it because of my job. Back when I was end user, I mounted a scope and left it alone, so I didn't see why I would need QD.

Top Bottom