• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    When I was [more] broke, I carried a bone-stock Kel Tec P-11. Later on, I ended up getting myself a Springfield 1911 with night sights and decided that any gun I was going to carry after that needed night sights. I turned 21 and bought myself a new G21 for my birthday, but never carried it until it got night sights on it. The G21 had a rail, I did a little research and thinking and decided that I liked the idea of a pistol light, so I bought a TLR-1S and threw on there. To me having a light became an important thing for a carry gun. I picked up a G30s because it could share mags with the G21, which subsequently made me realize how hard the G21 really was to conceal [I'm not comfortable open carrying, kudos to you if you are] so I started carrying the G30s and left the G21 in the dresser for home defense duty. I left the light on the G21 because that role had a higher probability of needing it. I was fine carrying the G30s but for some reason, it felt naked without a light. Fast forward to now, my current carry gun is a G19 with a TLR-1S and an RMR.

I also have an M&P, which I really like as well, but I don't really have the inclination to carry it because it has no light, night sights, or RMR. Now I know and fully accept that I tend to think of things differently than most people. My brain is probably a few degrees off "normal". That being said, I can't seem to shake the feeling that carrying anything "less" than I have now is just... inferior. Is that weird?

What are your must-haves for a carry gun?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I very rarely ever go out after dark (yes I am getting old), so I do not have a light. I do have a little flashlight in the console of the truck. I do have night sights on my carry pistol.
    My bedside pistol has night sights and a light.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    A set of metal sights that allow one-handed manipulations if necessary. That's about it. I carry a handheld light for situations where light may be needed.

If I recall correctly, all of the incidents in which Tom Givens' students have been involved occurred where and when there was enough ambient light to get the job done without night sights or lights.

Nothing wrong with lights, night sights, and all those things, however, the probability that the typical citizen would require them in an encounter seems to be over estimated from the data I've seen.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Spare mag, night sights, a good holster, and most importantly, lots of practice. I edc a streamlight that chance are i would have in my hand before a bump in the night turned into a threat.

In other news. You do you boo boo. Only you know what works for you. My :twocents: is less stuff that can fail is less stuff murphy can and will mess with.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Reliability. If the gun isnt reliable I won't own it. Thats my only requirement. I prefer night sights but I can live without them.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    IMO, night sights and a pistol light are essential. I run Trijicon HDs and an Inforce APLC on all my compact EDC guns. However, my subcompact EDC is a P365. It has Sig Light night sights and the Foxtrot 365 light (only because nobody else makes a flashlight for the 365 yet)

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    [STRIKE]Maybe[/STRIKE] I know I'm just weird, but my brain tends to think along the lines of "You spent all that money on the G19 and accessories, why would you carry anything less?" That and I would find it impossible to choose which one to carry if I had the M&P kitted out like I do the G19.

I see posts all the time about how people have different carry guns and I'd really love some insight on why and how you choose which one to carry. I've always subscribed to the old adage "Beware the man with only one gun, for he probably knows well how to use it."

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Think of it like cars.

Ricer/jacked up jeeps etc =guccied glocks/m&p/etc

Old muscle cars that runs like a dream=tuned 1911

my chevy malibu, boring but works perfect= stock guns

My ducati and harley chilling in the garage- change it up to add a little color in life= having a carry rotation.

Carrying a hi point = public transportation

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    I am curious about having more than one carry gun. Everywhere you read we are told to practice, practice, practice drawing our weapon. The more you do the better muscle memory you build up. Do any of you carrying different weapons every find yourself flubbing a draw? I think I would probably stick with one so that my muscles knew the right spot and movement to employ it as quick as possible. Since I do not have a ton of experience I wanted to ask.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Think of it like cars.

Ricer/jacked up jeeps etc =guccied glocks/m&p/etc

Old muscle cars that runs like a dream=tuned 1911

my chevy malibu, boring but works perfect= stock guns

My ducati and harley chilling in the garage- change it up to add a little color in life= having a carry rotation.

Carrying a hi point = public transportation
    I get the analogy. The weather and time on your hands would dictate what you choose. But what about your gun? What circumstances dictate which gun you choose?

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Being a fairly new shooter (about 18mos.) I'm still trying to figure it all out. I didn't think I could handle anything more than a 9mm so I went of a Ruger LC9S. I soon hated the trigger safety after a few hundred rounds, sold it and bought a 9mm Shield. Other than blacking out the rear sights it's right from the box. I've never seen night sights so i can't comment but I would think a WML would negate a lot of the "compact" advantages.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    [STRIKE]Maybe[/STRIKE] I know I'm just weird . . .

Nah, you're not weird. Rule number 1 is to have a gun. Once that's accomplished, if you want to start adding slices to your capabilities by adding functional accessories that's fine. As long as reliability isn't sacrificed, go for it.

I just wouldn't not carry a gun, simply because it didn't have night sights or a mounted light as the probability of needing the gun itself is greater than the probability of needing a gun WITH those other items.

Top Bottom