• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So, is there a decent LPV scope with a lighted reticle/dot out there for the AR platform (lower 1/3 or absolute co-witness) that runs in the $450ish range? Say, something that will vary from 1-6x.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That seems to be a question. Do you buy yesterday's higher end, yet lower magnification glass at a comparable rate to today's higher magnification, yet lower end glass? :scratch:

ogtruckin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 10, 2017
    Vault 76
    I've never used a 1 - 8 but my question is doesn't it have a shorter eye relief and smaller eye box than a 1-6. also wouldn't it have more fish eye/distortion at 1x?

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I'd personally go with something different than a strike eagle. When I was looking in the $450 range, I was going to order the Steiner P4XI. I ended up throwing a little more money at it and went with the Vortex Gen2 PST 1-6.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I've never looked through the Burris RT6 but everyone that has used it says it's well worth the cost and is a terrific value. Even those that are scope snobs which is hard to impress them

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Why's that?

Personal preference. Biggest reason for me would be the busy reticle on the Strike Eagle. I prefer precise aiming point (small red dot) to better call my shot and typically utilize the scope at the low end of the magnification to maximize my field of view. The illuminated horseshoe and BDC are more of a distraction to me when shooting 300 yds and under while on the clock. If I'm casually plinking steel from 300 to 500, then the BDC is more useful (IF your round is similar to what the BDC was calibrated for). The other side of the argument would be to get an MRAD or MOA and learn your holds or dial them in.

One trick is to download a phone app, Strelok. You can enter in your rifle info and play around with different reticles you are looking at with different size targets, distances, and magnification. You'll quickly see a SFP BDC is worthless unless you are at max magnification. That's fine unless you need a wider field of view to quickly transition to different targets.

If you do like the horseshoe and BDC, another scope to look at would be the Primary Arms 1-6 in FFP. With FFP, your BDC is accurate through the magnification range and at 1X, the horseshoe is smaller. Out of curiosity, I ordered one cheap on their BF sale but it's on back order. I'll probably regret it but was curious on the FFP. They also have a 1-8 SFP that doesn't have the BDC illuminated.

I still want to order a Steiner P4XI based on the great glass reviews but my gen1 pst 1-4 works well so I haven't justified it to myself yet.

Last edited:

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Why's that?

Also, in your other thread, you linked to someone recommending a Razer. That's a completely different animal than a Strike Eagle. I kind of break LPV scopes into 5 buckets.
    Sub $250
    Entry level $250-$450 Primary Arms, Strike Eagle, etc
    Mid grade $450-$900 Vortex Gen2 PST 1-6, Burris 1-5 XTR 2
    High end $900 - $1400 Vortex Razor1-6, Burris 1-8 XTR 2, Trijicon 1-8 Accupower
    Premium $1400+ Nightforce etc.

I'm no scope expert but I just wanted to point out there were a lot of options other than a Strike Eagle. It's just popular since it's an okay scope at an entry level price.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I had the Strike Eagle 1-6, liked it but sold it for the 1-8 as I liked its reticle better.

Works as a “good enough” RDS and has decent enough clarity for distance work.

All things equal...gimme a Gen I PST 2.5-10x32 FFP...

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I've become a fan of the Burris XTR-II line. The 1-8 is excellent.

I'll also give another thumbs up for the Vortex PST line. The 1-4 is now particularly good for the prices you can find them.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The Leupold VX-R and their whole associated family of 1.25/1.5-4x AR optics are worth looking at if you want something smaller and lighter than the Strike Eagle's size class. Trade-off is no true 1x, though. Made in the US, has the option for a powered red dot, simplistic MOA or mil reticles.

Top Bottom