NOT "The Call Center" wtburnette's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Usmccookie View Post
    How does the weight feel on it?
    Feels good to me. Nicely balanced.

User Info Menu

Vortex I think is the best bang for your buck

User Info Menu

This was the newest thread on red dots that I found via Google advanced search so I'm resurrecting it, especially since I know some of you guys.

I have a BSA cheapie on my Mark II. Took my wife to the range last weekend. She loved it. So I'm thinking I want to pick up a better one. The current one does not get quite bright enough out in the sun. The dot gets washed out against a paper target. I think I can get her out with me more with decent red dot which would be fun.

There is also the possibility it will make it's way onto my 9 if I don't defeat my vision issues.

I'm thinking 3-4 moa dot, not too large. Is top access battery really important? How often do you have to change batteries?

I'll look at the Sightmark and Leupold. What else?

Edited to remove C More from mix. Too rich for what I'm looking for, lol.

Also, I just kinda randomly picked MOA size based on a couple articles I read. Do you guys have other ideas on MOA size?
    Last edited by gregkl; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:28.
    "If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough"--Mario Andretti

Marksman

User Info Menu

I run a Truglo model 8360B on several guns. $70, multi-reticle, both red & green, much brighter than Barska. Very pleased with them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    This was the newest thread on red dots that I found via Google advanced search so I'm resurrecting it, especially since I know some of you guys.

I have a BSA cheapie on my Mark II. Took my wife to the range last weekend. She loved it. So I'm thinking I want to pick up a better one. The current one does not get quite bright enough out in the sun. The dot gets washed out against a paper target. I think I can get her out with me more with decent red dot which would be fun.

There is also the possibility it will make it's way onto my 9 if I don't defeat my vision issues.

I'm thinking 3-4 moa dot, not too large. Is top access battery really important? How often do you have to change batteries?

I'll look at the Sightmark, C More, and Leupold. What else?
    I really like the Bushnell Trs-25s. Have one on a 9mm sub 2000, a HiPoint 45 carbine, and a 10 5" ar pistol in 223. Haven't had a single issue on any of those calibers thru 1000s of rounds between them. And if you catch them on sale, can be had around $50. Psa has it right now with a set of magpul mbus for, I believe $90 shipped. Hard to beat that deal

Plinker

User Info Menu

I've never thought my BSA 30mm wasn't bright enough, but I guess my targets are partially shaded.

Is the battery fresh? I do notice I have to turn it up higher as the battery weakens.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2-Alpha View Post
    I've never thought my BSA 30mm wasn't bright enough, but I guess my targets are partially shaded.

Is the battery fresh? I do notice I have to turn it up higher as the battery weakens.
    i put a fresh battery in and will try it this morning. Last week on 11, it was tough to see. Ended up shooting the black portion of the target.
    "If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough"--Mario Andretti

User Info Menu

Something made in USA.
    "See you on the Range"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper Jim View Post
    Something made in USA.
    Who still makes them in the USA?

And should I go with a larger MOA since it's on a pistol and I'm not going to longer distance precision shooting?

JHB
    Plinker

User Info Menu

With brightness of the dot being equal the big dot will be easier to pickup. Inside shooting a bullseye match you want a small dot and can get away with less brightness because the room is dark compared to full sun in an open field. Shooting steel or plinking in bright sun a big bright dot works better for me.

The next thing to consider is your eyes. I can get away with a Vortex Venom with a 3 min. dot for an indoor bullseye match but to shoot an outdoor steel match in full sun I need a 12 min. C More.

The old saying of buy once cry once is true do you really want to cheap out on a sight that you use often. You will regret buying a cheap sight longer then the extra money for the better sight.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast