• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I posted a thread back in 2014 asking a similar question, but technology changes rapidly and I was wondering if there were any updates. Is there a good night vision setup that is durable enough that I wouldn't be afraid to use it but inexpensive enough that I wouldn't have to sell my firstborn? Obviously I'd like to have a PVS 14 but I'd be divorced and homeless once my better half found out about that purchase. How low can the price get for an acceptable product that works well enough for shooting?

Edit: Let's throw thermal vision into the mix as well. Is it better or worse than night vision? How about budget options vs. night vision?

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    What's your budget? What are you wanting to do? Most of the time, thermal is much better than night vision. The hardest thing about night vision and thermal is that you're relying on word of mouth, but I have an offer for you. Come visit and I'll let you try a few different options.

Last edited:

joneser49

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 6, 2011
    southern Indiana (ohio river)
    I purchased a used pvs 7 Gen 3 a few years back from a guy on arfcom liquidating his gun store. Paid 1600$. With a ballistic helmet, nice mount, and a Steiner OTAL IR laser, I feel I can own the night. LOL. All about 2500$ invested. The field of view with the 7 is small and moving around is awkward, but it is clear as can be. I have made hits on 12" plates at 200 yards with laser and a surfire IR light brightening things up out to 300 yards or more. My night time shooting is limited, but once the laser is sighted in, there should be no problems. I would love the pvs 14 for obvious reasons, but the cost is too high at the moment. The vampire light cost around 300$

Last edited:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Geeezzzzz know the difference

ceD1KtV.jpg

Edit... granted for a couple years I called it wrong

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I'm not sure on budget, likely less than $500. Not sure I'm interested in it enough to start demoing stuff just yet. I have a feeling that night vision is a game I still can't afford to play.

if your in north central Indy... you are more the welcome to try my stuff, just don’t send your wife after me when you get hooked...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yeah save up for the white phosphor. It's worth it.
    Like jollymon said, you can easily find great condition pvs14 gen3 units for 1500. Just know who you are dealing with.

Top Bottom