Does anyone actually use side plates with a plate carrier?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm just starting to look into different load out options for running a rifle and so far I like the idea of using a slick plate carrier (when needed) with either a battle belt or separate chest rig on top.

I ordered a cheap Condor Recon chest rig just to test out the concept. Yeah, I know about the reputation around Condor, so spare me the lecture about cheap crap that won't last. Save the air soft pretend soldier comments. I get it, I really do. But I wanted something just to try out because I am pretty certain I'm going to end up going the battle belt route anyway.

Needless to say, I don't plan on hanging a bunch of crap off of the plate carrier either way, so a low profile and minimalist option seems like the best choice. I've found a couple of carriers, including this one from Tactical Assault Gear that's under $70 and has pockets on the side for 6" x 6" side plates. I personally don't think I'd use side plates much, but the pouches are not removable so I would be stuck wrapping them up in the cumberbund.

So my question is, does anyone actually ever use side plates? Realistically I'd probably only be using a plate carrier in a training class that requires one, or in a WROL scenario and so cost per use is a major consideration. But if I'm never going to run with side plates, and I can't remove the pouches, I'm wondering if this would just add bulk and trap heat.

I also found this Creeper Discreet slick carrier which might work, but it's more expensive and still has a big wide cumberbund.

Are there other options I should be looking at for a bare bones slick plate carrier that's around/under $100? I don't mind investing in plates, but I don't want to spend a ton on the carrier if I don't have too, but I do want it to be somewhat comfortable.

Thoughts?

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have taken quite a few course that require armor (many room clearing courses will)... none require side plates... haven’t really ran into anyone that uses side plates.

I personally don’t want them, I just own most of my stuff to take courses, have no plans to use it in real life, they add weight, restrict movement, extra cost.... save the money and use it for something else :twocents:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have side plates, because I can, but NEVER use them. They just add too much more, and as said restrict movement. I’ve just always been in the have and not need camp. If the Zombies come, I’ll slide’em in. As far as the gear goes, if you do go with a plate carrier, buy once, cry til it’s paid for. There really is a difference in fit and comfort from the more reputable manufacturers.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have taken quite a few course that require armor (many room clearing courses will)... none require side plates... haven’t really ran into anyone that uses side plates.

I personally don’t want them, I just own most of my stuff to take courses, have no plans to use it in real life, they add weight, restrict movement, extra cost.... save the money and use it for something else :twocents:

What level plates do they generally require?

I have side plates, because I can, but NEVER use them. They just add too much more, and as said restrict movement. I’ve just always been in the have and not need camp. If the Zombies come, I’ll slide’em in. As far as the gear goes, if you do go with a plate carrier, buy once, cry til it’s paid for. There really is a difference in fit and comfort from the more reputable manufacturers.

Yeah I'm not looking to be a cheap ass, but functional and streamlined is my top priority. I just don't want to end up looking like this guy. (See 3:16)

[video=youtube_share;hqP4qJz2dHw]http://youtu.be/hqP4qJz2dHw[/video]

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    What level plates do they generally require?

Yeah I'm not looking to be a cheap ass, but functional and streamlined is my top priority. I just don't want to end up looking like this guy. (See 3:16)

[video=youtube_share;hqP4qJz2dHw]http://youtu.be/hqP4qJz2dHw[/video]

if that dude ever has to shoot from prone, he’ll never be able to get back up! LoL

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have 360* pistol protection & uhmwpe in front and back. A good compromise imo. I use a First Spear "tube" carrier.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I like the simplicity and versatility of this Low Viz model from Tactical Tailor. I know they are a reputable company. Does anyone have any experience with this model or a different plate carrier from them?

It seems like there's a lot of reliance on hook and loop. I'm curious how that would hold up over time.

[video=youtube_share;5IvuiGfOVgc]http://youtu.be/5IvuiGfOVgc[/video]

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have worn side plates and they do in fact “suck”.
    IMO if you are in a vehicle in a high threat situation or you are going to into the “valley of death” for a short dismounted raid they work. Hell I would wear a Kevlar cup if I had one in a bad situation. The addition of side plates for civilian training seems unnecessary unless required for a class.
    I prefer a chest rig with a slick carrier and keep all equipment to a minimum. I once was entangle in a vehicle attempting to get out in a bad situation. I managed to get out of my carrier and grab my chest rig and get back to work. This is the same reasoning I apply for the use of a thigh holster if I lose or do not have my rifle chest rig and plate carrier I still have my sidearm.
    The addition of body amour requires training the bulk can change you check stock weld, buttstock placement ect. Also when you do a “switch shoulder drill” make sure your gear doesn’t interfere with the switch. The physical impact is real it has to have the right base layer against the skin and be properly adjusted to prevent hot spots ect. You also have to train with the weight of all the gear to be effective physically amour will suck the soul out of you quick if you are not ready for it. I have witnessed many examples of individuals that shoot “slick” and when they gear up can’t function.
    I think you are on the right track with low viz no experience with it but for your needs I would pick it. Hook and loop works fine I doubt you would wear it out unless you use it everyday for like a year.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Thanks for the input Brad. That all makes a lot of sense.

I'm not in any hurry nor do I have a pressing need to order armor right away. I also think I'll likely start with soft armor since i have no desire to wear steel plates, and I definitely don't have the budget for ceramic or lightweight polyester plates.

I found a package deal on AR500.com that comes with the low viz slick carrier and level IIIA soft plates for around $275. You can upgrade to better performing hybrid soft plates and still stay under $400. Either way this would be enough to get me started and I could save up for rifle level plates down the road.

Also my Condor chest rig arrived today and it seems to be decent quality for under $35. Plenty of adjustment ability and it only took me a few minutes to get it sized right. My only complaint is that the mag pouches in the front aren't removable. but I knew this when I ordered it. The pouches are stacked so they each hold 2 rifle mags and two pistol mags. I doubt I will need to or want to run with it fully loaded but it's nice to have the option and it's a decent if basic chest rig. Eventually I'm sure I'll wind up with something slimmer and more modular, likely a battle belt.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have the AR500 level III plates in my personal carrier, which is a Velocity Systems. I use the carrier to run/work out in also (makes a nice weight vest, plus it doesn't take long to get used to the weight/bulk/somewhat limited movement).

I also have their hybrid IIIA soft armor in my main work carrier over the top of the issued soft armor (which is only level II). It's thinner than the Rimelig that is the base armor in that kit.

I decided long ago I didn't want to work day in and day out dealing with hard plates (although I did it for a while). For a SHTF plate carrier, though, The highest rated plates you can afford would be the way to go. Then go out and run, shoot , and work out in it.

Also, for side plates you can use the 6X6 soft armor they sell. It will give you some ballistic protection without losing a lot of the mobility you would with he hard plates. Everything is a compromise between comfort, protection, and price.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I have worn side plates and they do in fact “suck”.
    IMO if you are in a vehicle in a high threat situation or you are going to into the “valley of death” for a short dismounted raid they work. Hell I would wear a Kevlar cup if I had one in a bad situation. The addition of side plates for civilian training seems unnecessary unless required for a class.
    I prefer a chest rig with a slick carrier and keep all equipment to a minimum. I once was entangle in a vehicle attempting to get out in a bad situation. I managed to get out of my carrier and grab my chest rig and get back to work. This is the same reasoning I apply for the use of a thigh holster if I lose or do not have my rifle chest rig and plate carrier I still have my sidearm.
    The addition of body amour requires training the bulk can change you check stock weld, buttstock placement ect. Also when you do a “switch shoulder drill” make sure your gear doesn’t interfere with the switch. The physical impact is real it has to have the right base layer against the skin and be properly adjusted to prevent hot spots ect. You also have to train with the weight of all the gear to be effective physically amour will suck the soul out of you quick if you are not ready for it. I have witnessed many examples of individuals that shoot “slick” and when they gear up can’t function.
    I think you are on the right track with low viz no experience with it but for your needs I would pick it. Hook and loop works fine I doubt you would wear it out unless you use it everyday for like a year.

My son is a 0352 in a LAV AT, He said with side plates hes not making it through the hatch in a hurry. I believe all plates are uncomfortable when hes launching a Javelin also..

caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy
    I was deployed before side plates were required and on that deployment we left the theater when strap-in side plates were being introduced. Later deployed when the carriers had their own side plate pockets. I hated them. I understood the logic of having lateral protection but they were more of a hindrance than anything. We already were laden with an enormous amount of gear, and being the platoon corpsman added even more crap to hump around. The powers above decided we had to be turtles to be safe but I felt being able to move and run at a reasonable speed were more advantageous than just slapping more armor plates on.

I will never buy a set of side plates; I have soft armor that does wrap around and that is good enough for me.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    A couple more options to add to the list of slick/minimalist plate carriers:

https://ferroconcepts.com/products/the-slickster

Covert Plate Carrier MK1 Black | Warrior Assault Systems

https://greyghostgear.com/collections/plate-carriers/products/minimalist-plate-carrier

https://www.first-spear.com/platforms/the-slick-ultra-lightweight-plate-carrier

https://lbtinc.com/products/6094slk

I use a Rogue Gunfighter MOAB. It's a slick carrier with built in mag pouches that lay flat when not in use. They're hard to come by now but are well made. I love mine.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    A couple more options to add to the list of slick/minimalist plate carriers:

https://ferroconcepts.com/products/the-slickster

Covert Plate Carrier MK1 Black | Warrior Assault Systems

https://greyghostgear.com/collections/plate-carriers/products/minimalist-plate-carrier

https://www.first-spear.com/platforms/the-slick-ultra-lightweight-plate-carrier

https://lbtinc.com/products/6094slk

I use a Rogue Gunfighter MOAB. It's a slick carrier with built in mag pouches that lay flat when not in use. They're hard to come by now but are well made. I love mine.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have seen the Slickster and the Warrior and I like both. I like the idea of the Warrior having the pouches built into the side straps. That seems really versatile while staying low profile.

Slovpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    No... side plates are ****ing dumb. Extra bulk for a small amount of protection is a crappy trade off. It sucks enough wearing a ruck with armor and going up a mountain.

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    ....I felt being able to move and run at a reasonable speed were more advantageous than just slapping more armor plates on.

THIS :yesway:
    Also, if you are worried about the hook and loop [which shouldn't be a problem with the Tactical Taylor gear] CRKT has a cool tool just for maintaining this. They are officially discontinued now but are still available on the website and probably elsewhere. https://www.crkt.com/hook-loop-tool.html

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    After much deliberation, I think I'm going to go with the Ferro Concepts Slickster and start off with a set of Level IIIA soft armor and Level III AR500 steel plates to fill the carrier as needed.

Can the soft armor be worn under the steel plates in place of trauma pads to protect against spauling?

Top Bottom