• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bwaite43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    I am new to SKS so ahead of time sorry if something I say isn't right. All I have is a 22' and am looking to buy a SKS.

1. Is there a huge difference in where the SKS is from . IE Russia, etc.

2. What are some of the must haves for the gun?

3. Any tips on buying one? Any details I should ask the person selling it?

Thanks everyone.

-Brandon

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    This is a good thread, not because I have any answers, but I have had the same questions myself.

I have been looking at SKS, but have seen to much info to get my arms around. I will be watching this thread with interest.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    they have about any accessories u want for them stocks,scope mounts,ect..you could modify it pretty much however you'd like it.id just make sure to get one that has a good bore on it.you still see alot of very nice yugo's floating around these days.if you could get one of those for a decent price jump on it.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    you can find you a decent yugo sks for around $200-275.me personally i wouldn't pay over $300 for one.ive seen alot of people selling the norinco sks for 350-400 which i think is outragous.i bought my yugo for $225 the wood stock on it is perfect no flaws or anything.

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    If you modify it, make sure it's 922r Compliant. That said, the best thing you can buy for it are some Tapco magazines. They're removable and very durable polymer mags that replace the fixed 10rd mag with 5-10-20rd capacity mags. A big plus considering you'd have to use stripper clips or feed it manually otherwise.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Norico SKS-$250-300. I put a tapco earth stock set on mine with bottom rail and forend grip, bipod, illuminated scope. Sold it on here about a month ago. After mags, bag and other little stuff you will probably have over $600 in it. Just by an AK.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I have a Russian and paid <$100 years ago. Yugo are redily available now but prices vary. Pay 300 or less and if you must change anything make it the stock. The are solid, accurate and reliable the way they are.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've had a few over the years. I collect Milsurps, so I leave them alone. Russians have the best re-sale value. Milled receiver is better than stamped. In my opion "eastern bloc" SKS are the ones to have. I would either get a Russian or a Yugoslavian.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Best thing to add to an SKS?

Ammo

They tend to be pretty reliable as built. The stocks can be a little short, at least on the Chinese, don't know about the others. A new stock or an add on recoil pad cures that. The milled receivers are better.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I put a Williams peep sight on mine. Its really great. Besides that, I'd say its up to you. I wouldn't dump a lot of money into it trying to make it what it isn't. One of the best things for it is defiantly ammo.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I put a Williams peep sight on mine. Its really great. Besides that, I'd say its up to you. I wouldn't dump a lot of money into it trying to make it what it isn't. One of the best things for it is defiantly ammo.

Thats the key right there, get a sight set up you like, then just shoot it.

Folks tend to want to add a bunch of crap to a rifle they buy to keep in stride with the AR tacticool crowd. Most parts (with some exceptions) are like aftermarket Glock parts: Look stupid and reduce the functionality of the gun.

I can tell you a few parts to AVOID:
    Top cover mounted scope mounts, handguard scope mounts, folding stocks (looks goofy). If you want a scope, get a reciever mounted one and get someone to drill and tap it onto the reciever. Its the only stable way to do it. Most of the detachable (except the Tapco ones, IMHO) work horribly and add yet another thing that could go wrong.

Just shoot her and love it to death! :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    If you buy a Yugo, check the bore first. The Yugos don't have chrome lined bores, and can be terribly corroded if not properly cleaned or stored. I spent DAYS trying to clean out a very badly stored Yugo once, and the bore still looked like a sewer pipe when I was done.

CLEAN OFF ALL THE COSMOLINE...EVERYWHERE. The easiest way I've found to do this is by boiling all the metal parts in a pot you don't really care for (it leaves a nasty residue), and then promptly drying and oiling them. Pay special attention to the gas tube and firing pin channel...cosmoline hardens when heated, and if you leave some around the firing pin, it can cause slamfires.

I had a Tapco T6 stock on my last one, and in addition to looking cool, I thought it was an ergonomic improvement over the wooden stock. If you want to put a scope on it, have a gunsmith drill and tap the reciever for your scope mount...most of the crappy ones that mount over the gas tube will lose zero easily when you fire, because they're not very stable.

The SKS is a fine rifle. Enjoy it.

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    got a russian love mine put a scope and bipod on it and got some removeable mags. also just for fun a few years ago i was at a gun show and picked up what they called a hell fire system for it. It is just a spring more or less that set behind the trigger and uses the recoil from the gun to make it almost full auto. it is fun but you burn alot of ammo that way.

Top Bottom