• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Used a regular backpack the other day hiking/coyote hunting and it was NOT pleasant hurt my back shoulders etc..... looking for a backpack that won’t break the bank or my back any suggestions? I like the dedicated predator hunting packs with built in seats... but want a backpack for multiple uses don’t need 20 bags sitting around with specific jobs. Will have a bit of weight but not like a military 60# load.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Some of us use Marine ILBE packs for multi-day trips - they are a bit heavy, though versatile. Make sure your pack has a padded belt that sits down on the hips. Transfer that weight off your back and shoulders to your hips and packing will be more enjoyable. Lots of external pockets (or MOLLE to attach such to the pack) can help with organization and access.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Different packs fit different people differently. What might be comfortable for one person may not be for another. I highly recommend going to an outfitter and trying on a few packs with weight in them. Walk around the store a bit with each pack on. When you find one and you forget it's on your back, that's the one.

Nothing sucks more than being 2 days into a week-long packing trip and figuring out your pack isn't as comfortable as you thought it would be because your back hurts.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    What would you like to spend? There's $30 packs.....then there's $300+ packs

obviously cheaper is better but willing to spend the cash if something will last a lifetime. I am really interested in the predator hunting style packs... since that just adds one more option to use the pack for.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I've been happy with my Hill People Gear - Ute on a couple overnighters. Well built and should last a long time. Carried 25-30 pound load with no back or shoulder pain as the hip belt supported the weight. Can easily carry more weight. Add ones can get pricy unless you go with other brands.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hill People Gear, Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock, Osprey, TAD Gear, Kifaru. If you can’t find it through one of these, it ain’t made. Various iterations of U.S. issue packs are good, as well as bad. REI is a great place to get a high quality civilian pack, and be able to sample many different kinds. On the lesser expensive side, Camelback, Maxpedition, 5.11, etc make some decent stuff as well.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I grew up carrying a Kelty pack. When I outgrew it, in the 80s,I bought a Jansport K2. A few years ago I bought a Gregory Baltoro 65 liter.

Kelty makes good gear for the money. Jansport too. But that Gregory is like a Cadillac on my back. Extremely comfortable.

justacog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2018
    Brownstown

Rickshaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Recently purchased an Osprey Atmos 50L. The most comfortable pack I have ever had. Plenty or volume with a lifetime warranty Check out REI

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I spent about 85 bucks on a Redhead brand "hunting pack" about 15 years ago. Its camo and soft quiet cloth. Fairly heavy duty. Has a zip off lower unit. I carabiniere a foam seat pad to it when hunting. Versatility is key. The bag still looks new.

No real way to avoid multiple bags. I have three in use all the time ranging from 50 to over 100. Probably another three hanging up at the ready.

I use backpacks for everything! With two small kids my hands need to be free. From EDC, range use, tools, to the fishing hole.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Recently purchased an Osprey Atmos 50L. The most comfortable pack I have ever had. Plenty or volume with a lifetime warranty Check out REI

I second REI both as a source for gear and general knowledge. Tbey hold a lot of classes that can help.

They have an upcoming backpacking class in March focused on how/what to pack. It may be somewhat basic, but will probably cover some of the different pack types, and it may be a good chance to see different set-ups all in one place.

https://www.rei.com/events/90087/ho....134902;geo_r&page=3&previousLocation=Indiana

They also hold members only "garage sales" from time to time which is a good time to get big discounts on used gear. Next one is Sat. 3/16.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have a LBT three day pack (
    LBT-1476A​
    ) that I use quite a bit and is pretty comfortable. Since I hammock camp, it’s pretty easy to get all the stuff I need for a weekend In there

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    i would consider myself something of a backpack whore ! started with a surplus alice pack , pretty good , comfortable but kind of just a big empty hole inside : needed more pockets maybe ?
    next is a midwayusa “tactical” bp ... i actually use it mostly when trapsing around big gun shows or flea markets . comfortable, carries a decent load easily , LOTS of pockets for organization .
    next the wife annd i both got surplus ILBE packs . bigger , heavier but built like the proverbial brick ****house ! carries heavy load comfortably , numerous pockets and molle attachment points !
    next we both got cheap “bug out bags” from cold dead hands , the type advertised on FB with the rifle case built in ... kinda neat idea , have not really field tested it yet ....

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I second REI both as a source for gear and general knowledge. Tbey hold a lot of classes that can help.

They have an upcoming backpacking class in March focused on how/what to pack. It may be somewhat basic, but will probably cover some of the different pack types, and it may be a good chance to see different set-ups all in one place.

https://www.rei.com/events/90087/ho....134902;geo_r&page=3&previousLocation=Indiana

They also hold members only "garage sales" from time to time which is a good time to get big discounts on used gear. Next one is Sat. 3/16.

I've refused to give REI money for years for other reasons, but I wouldn't give them a dime just based on this...

https://www.snewsnet.com/news/mec-drops-vista-outdoor-camelbak-responds

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom