• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    After days of searching, I'm ready to farm this out to someone. Some nights and weekends I'll need to make a quick trip here or there and don't want to get fully dressed, meaning there isn't a belt to hold a holster. I know what you're thinking: Just get a belly band! Well, my friends, I wish it were that simple but my life rarely is. My carry gun is a G19 with a TLR-1 and RMR. I've found a few belly bands that would fit the gun, but they wouldn't fit me because, until my new diet and exercise plan starts to show results (I'm down 15lbs, thanks), I wear a size 52"-54" in pants and most offerings don't go above 44". I'm a bit limited on budget and need this to be relatively low-cost, though the budget is a bit flexible if I can find exactly what I need.

I've also considered a standard holster and mag carrier with Ulticlip XLs that I can use with or without a belt. When I end up finding a holster to fit my gun and attachments, it usually comes with the standard 1.5" FOMI clip, no bueno for basketball shorts/sweat pants. I've found holster/mag carrier combos that work but don't offer Ulticlips, which I could buy and add but they're $16 each so the already expensive holster plus those ends up blowing the budget to smithereens.

Another wall I keep hitting is finding a holster that checks all the boxes and then I go to select the gun and light combo and they only have the TLR-6 or that damn Surefire X300. On a side note, I've noticed a lot of holster makers that have stuff for the X300 but not the TLR series, which I always thought was just as popular...

Can anyone point me in a direction I haven't yet searched?

To recap, I need a holster that:
    * Doesn't require a belt
    * Can accommodate BOTH a TLR-1 and an RMR on a G19
    * Will fit up to size 54"-56"
    * Preferably less than $100, somewhat flexible here

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A hard or soft case and a neck lanyard.

I think with most solutions, a one-handed draw stroke may be difficult.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I would recommend the 3 Speed Holster except it doesn't look like it currently supports red dots, I didn't see an option to select a red dot on the order page. It may be worth contacting them to see if they do. I have 2, one for my sig p365 and one for my g43, both are excellent

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No offense my friend, but I'm gonna suggest a change in mindset. Don't look to cut corners on your carry gear. If you are going out, it should be the same every time. The presence of your sidearm alone will not save you or others.

Draw and presentation should not be compromised along with being prepared for other variables such as the need to run or draw from laying on the ground.

In and out of the vehicle are another whole set of issues.

We carry all the time because we never know when self defense might be needed. Also, if you think hard about "quick trip" destinations, these are very likely the places where you really really need to be ready.

This is also how people lose their guns.

Don't allow yourself to compromise. :twocents:

Last edited:

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I would recommend the 3 Speed Holster except it doesn't look like it currently supports red dots, I didn't see an option to select a red dot on the order page. It may be worth contacting them to see if they do. I have 2, one for my sig p365 and one for my g43, both are excellent
    I stumbled across the 3 Speed and it was perfect... right up until I looked at their FAQ and learned that they don't support red dots. I was excited about it too. :(

No offense my friend, but I'm gonna suggest a change in mindset. Don't look to cut corners on your carry gear. If you are going out, it should be the same every time. The presence of your sidearm alone will not save you or others.

Draw and presentation should not be compromised along with being prepared for other variables such as the need to run or draw from laying on the ground.

We carry all the time because we never know when self defense might be needed. Also, if you think hard about "quick trip" destinations, these are very likely the places where you really really need to be ready.

I'm not gonna say you're wrong. Some days I'd just rather be comfortable.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    For quick trips down the street or taking the trash out or whatever, a J-frame or LCR in a pocket holster works perfect.

My LCR lives in my PJ's pocket around the house once I've gotten out of my regular clothes. I've made several runs to the corner grocery store in that attire, including socks and Crocs.

Yeah it's more expensive than a holster but you get to buy a new gun. Then you have to train with it and learn to shoot it good but that's what we like doing anyway......right?

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I stumbled across the 3 Speed and it was perfect... right up until I looked at their FAQ and learned that they don't support red dots. I was excited about it too. :(

I'm not gonna say you're wrong. Some days I'd just rather be comfortable.

Seems to me you may have to make an accommodation or 2.

And though I understand wanting to be able to carry that specific gun with that specific sight and light, etc as that is how you train. If that is the only holster that will work for you, it might be time to pony up and get a second Glock 19 and not do the RMR on the second one to facilitate the way you want to carry.

A second of your carry gun is not a bad thing to have anyway (one is none, two is one).

Also, looking at that 3 Speed setup, from the pics on their site, I see their FAQ about RMR's, but not sure why it wouldn't fit unless it would come in contact with the spare mag, which could be worked out potentially.

I'd say you are either going to need to accommodate that setup a bit differently or get a second setup without the RMR for those specific days.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

^^ This.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld

Sage Advice!!:oldwise:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

**** that douchebag company.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

FTW.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I use my Hybrid IWB holsters without a belt. Kind-of. I hang the holster directly on my pants or shorts, THEN I put my belt on over it. My belts job is just to hold my pant up and cover the holster clips if I'm tucking a shirt in. Some pants I have are too loose to wear without a belt so....... I wear a belt with those. But I haven't clipped my hybrid onto my belt since I've owned it for over 10-15 years now. Oh and after China Buffet, none of my pants need a belt.

On lazy days around the house, I just clip on to my comfy shorts and lounge around the house doing anything and nobody knows I'm carrying. I also wear that holster while working out and doing car work including laying under the car with no problems at all.
    Now, I don't know which ones fit your TLR-1 and RMR so you'll need to check with them. That combo might be tough to find together.

Lot of companies out there - Crossbreed - Alien Gear - Stealth Gear USA - Galco - etc...

Some companies now have "J" clips that are specifically made NOT to attach to the belt but go under it to keep the holster from rising up.
    lfA2qvd.jpg
    8kgMsvk.jpg

Typical Hybrid IWB Holster....
    EnSXG3u.jpg

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Unfortunately, a new gun is not in the budget. If it were, I wouldn't be in this conundrum.

I truly wish I understood why I always end up wanting things that don't exist.
    Then I’d recommend budgeting an extra 30-45 seconds to dress properly for carrying a gun?

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    There was an incident at the west side Wal Mart a few years ago. Some one had a gun in his pocket and no holster. To make a long story short the gun fell out hit the floor and went off. The bullet hit an infant. This could happen and the person that dropped the gun has to live with the consequences. I would have a hard time living with myself knowing that I was that irresponsible.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I feel like I have a lot of holster knowledge. The only holster that I’d ever recommend anyone to run without a belt is one that used the fabriclip by Warfytr. Even then you need to have a really good drawstring. That’s what I used for my 43 with TLR 6 in gym shorts when the need arose. Find a custom maker that supports them and you’ll be good to go.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Ok, disclaimer: I don’t know how well this will work with a g19.

When I’m out for a walk, on the bicycle, or just taking the dogs out (wearing gym shorts or sweat pants), I’ll offen carry my Shield 2.0 in one of these:
    https://www.bravoconcealment.com/co...cts/iwb-light-bearing-kydex-gun-holster-dos-l

The clips kind of interlock, and through hundreds of draws, I’ve NEVER had the holster come out with the gun.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have yet to find a holster that will work with gym shorts, sweat pants and workout pants. So I have come to the conclusion that if you’re going to carry, it needs to be with a belt. With the right belt and holster, you can carry comfortably all day, no matter the size of the gun.

If you’re in a situation where you are going to wear pants or shorts without a belt, I wouldn’t carry that day. At least that’s my experience.

Top Bottom