Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

I have not worn one since shortly after my first celphone.

User Info Menu

After retiring I sold all of my watches except a Seiko for dress occasions and a $7 Walmart watch thatís comfortable & looks good. The money made from selling watches was reinvested in ammo.

User Info Menu

Some special-occasion-only watches:

Hampden Special Railway No.104 from 1904, 23 jewel, 16 size hunter with full Montgomery dial, two-tone with gold-flashed screws, fully adjusted to 5 positions, temperature and isochronism, railroad grade, gold jewel settings and center wheel. Only 500 of these made.

Waltham Vanguard from 1924, 23 jewel, 16 size, wind indicator, full Monty dial (!), fully adjusted to 6 positions, temperature and isochronism, railroad grade, gold jewel settings and center wheel
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

ďThere's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.Ē - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    To each their own. Others choose to wear what they want, turns out, theyíre right too.
    I agree. Watches are like anything else, vehicles, guns, etc. Wear, drive or shoot whatever works for you.
    Boiler Up!

Expert

User Info Menu

I've had a few of the high end watches (military issue) but I've been wearing a $30 stainless Timex for about 20 years.
    $30, wear it about a decade, get another one when the band gives up.

If I had to choose between Rolex & Timex, at least Timex keeps time...
    Those Rolex non-magnetic watches the military gave us wouldn't keep time worth a damn, if they ran at all.

I wore a Zodiac divers watch most of the time I was in the military, it worked quite well and tough as nails.

Before the military I had a Zoro watch, the sword was the second hand!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
    I've had a few of the high end watches (military issue) but I've been wearing a $30 stainless Timex for about 20 years.
    $30, wear it about a decade, get another one when the band gives up.

If I had to choose between Rolex & Timex, at least Timex keeps time...
    Those Rolex non-magnetic watches the military gave us wouldn't keep time worth a damn, if they ran at all.

I wore a Zodiac divers watch most of the time I was in the military, it worked quite well and tough as nails.

Before the military I had a Zoro watch, the sword was the second hand!
    I cant speak to budget line rolexes like theyd issue to the military in WWII or whenever but the modern Rolexes are very precise. If someone wants a watch you never have to re-set buy a quarts movement or radio controlled. Watch guys are in it for different reasons but for me its not about how accurate it can be (i like that aspect of it) , although none of my high end automatics miss a beat. They are known for their accuracy. Some may be +/- 7 seconds a day but some arent at all, they are dead on. I havent had any issues. None, zero
    CASH 4 GUITARS & AMPS. Fender & Gibson. PM me.
    NRA Patron Life Member

User Info Menu

Here I thought in America, Hamilton watches were the issue for Army and Air Farce? Rolex? I know the issue watch in the Army for many years was a Hamilton, and it kept very precise time, hence why it was issued? Iíve also seen many a person deride QUALITY watches, because their Times kept better time, and was infinitely cheaper. Generally, they were the ones that had only seen a Rolex in a magazine or on TV? Anyone that says a timed keeps better time than a quality watch is actually a liar. Times is a good watch for the masses, and keeps time, but thereís a reason Omega, Hamilton, Rolex, etc. are the official time keepers of most events. And it isnít JUST dollars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    Here I thought in America, Hamilton watches were the issue for Army and Air Farce? Rolex? I know the issue watch in the Army for many years was a Hamilton, and it kept very precise time, hence why it was issued? Iíve also seen many a person deride QUALITY watches, because their Times kept better time, and was infinitely cheaper. Generally, they were the ones that had only seen a Rolex in a magazine or on TV? Anyone that says a timed keeps better time than a quality watch is actually a liar. Times is a good watch for the masses, and keeps time, but thereís a reason Omega, Hamilton, Rolex, etc. are the official time keepers of most events. And it isnít JUST dollars.
    Yeah, rolex and the daytona comes to mind for racing.
    Or how about Omega speedmaster and The Moonlanding plus other trips to space!! Rolex has been to space too.
    Good enough for NASA and race car event timing, good enough for my fat butt and walking or sitting and glancing at the time

You're exactly right my friend as usual. It isn't just about dollars nor just a name. Well the name(s) of these brands has been well earned.
    I wasn't aware of the details put into these handmade watches until I started doing research. I don't just go blow money even on firearms without doing research. I don't care what name it has on it.
    I would encourage people to watch some youtube videos on rolexes and omegas, and Patek, ect. If you just like to learn new things, I promise that you will be glad you watched.
    And like I said before, I own all different brands. Timex too. I love the history of the pieces.
    Last edited by Trigger Time; 03-01-2019 at 01:58.
    CASH 4 GUITARS & AMPS. Fender & Gibson. PM me.
    NRA Patron Life Member

User Info Menu

My experience with Rolex consists of reading about John Roarke's "Rolex Submariner" in the old Survivalist series of books by Jerry Ahern and occasionally learning that someone I know has one.

I have an old Seiko that my parents gave to me as a graduation present (from high school I think) that is kind of of dressy, but I'm not sure where it is. I haven't seen it since the early 1990s at the latest.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

I like my apple watch 3. It is way more than a watch and is one of the best purchases I have made. Now to the Rolex: I won a rolex oyster in 1978 in a sales contest and wore it until I cracked the crystal. When I took it to get repair it cost me $350 in 1980 to get repaired. I got it repaired and it has been in my closet every since. Before the Apple watch, I wore a timex for many years, which was a great watch.

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast