Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Crail View Post
    A lot of people sadly don't understand this these days
    True. I know vigilant does. Hes a watch freak
    CASH 4 GUITARS & AMPS. Fender & Gibson. PM me.
    NRA Patron Life Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Crail View Post
    I wanted a Swiss watch and liked the history behind the Hamilton name, its a legitimately nice watch with a modified ETA 7750 movement, plus I really liked the DLC coating it has giving it that cool triple black look. Finally and most importantly I am a big Tom Clancy fan so this being the new Jack Ryan watch is really cool to me. Ultimately watches to me are about being cool, the next watch I really want is a Omega Speedmaster and Seamaster because Moon Watch and James bond.
    A speedy seems your style

Congrats on the Hammy. Sounds like you put some thought into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KG1 View Post
    You are the expert in all things read about on the internet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Time View Post
    Skx compared to the orient mako II is crap. I dont understand all the love for the SKX. The fit and finish is subpar. Seiko owns orient and they are IMO some good watches and better finish. Ive owned both. Sold the skx and I never sell watches. Not knocking on guys who have the skx, its just not my thing and the quality comparisons i mentioned are real. One reason dudes mod their skx's.

Sinn 104 is one of my favorites. They were retailing at 1200 but i know sinn raised retail across the board so i dont know what they are now. Plus they were hard to find.

For just a little more that entry japanese auto, you can have a swiss Hamilton. The khaki is a popular choice. They have that in a quartz and a auto so make sure you look at the auto. Other options from hamilton and its a swiss watch.
    Weíll have to disagree regarding Orient being a better choice. Seiko has legitimate dive heritage and the SKX is a steal for $200 being an actual certified dive watch. And like I said, bump your budget up a bit and the 4r36/sapphire models arenít much more and are a hell of a bargain.

But then again, I also have all the tools to mod Seikos.....

And you have to remember, watch purchases that cost more than a gshock arenít 100% about cost to performance ratio. And Orient, as a brand, just doesnít do it for me. Seiko on the other hand is a really cool brand. In house everything, old school craftsmanship, generational employees that teach and hand their jobs down.....theyíre just flat out awesome.

Iím also just not a Hamilton fan. The designs just donít do it for me. If youíre into field watches, theyíre a good budget option I suppose.
    Last edited by seedubs1; 03-08-2019 at 07:13.

User Info Menu

This thread is interesting. I have never been a watch guy. Used to wear a cheap timex, then I just stopped wearing one when I bought my first smart phone. I picked up a Fitbit charge 2 1.5 years ago. Been wearing that a lot. But now I have been wanting an Apple Watch, or even one of the new Fitbit smart watches.

Thereís some very nice watches in this thread, which Iíll never be able to buy. But I enjoy looking at them.
    Best. Christmas. Ever.
    http://ingunowners.com/forums/break-...tmas-ever.html

Adoption Journey.
    http://ingunowners.com/forums/break-...ml#post6072842

Lost? Try GPS.
    God's Plan for Salvation.

/l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seedubs1 View Post
    Weíll have to disagree regarding Orient being a better choice. Seiko has legitimate dive heritage and the SKX is a steal for $200 being an actual certified dive watch. And like I said, bump your budget up a bit and the 4r36/sapphire models arenít much more and are a hell of a bargain.

But then again, I also have all the tools to mod Seikos.....

And you have to remember, watch purchases that cost more than a gshock arenít 100% about cost to performance ratio. And Orient, as a brand, just doesnít do it for me. Seiko on the other hand is a really cool brand. In house everything, old school craftsmanship, generational employees that teach and hand their jobs down.....theyíre just flat out awesome.

Iím also just not a Hamilton fan. The designs just donít do it for me. If youíre into field watches, theyíre a good budget option I suppose.
    Hamilton watches are iconic. From the 40ís forward, Hamilton has supplied watches to the military to keep time in the field, hence the Khaki Field moniker. Some of their styles are meh, but the Khaki Field is a piece of history.

User Info Menu

The Hamilton discussion and Swiss mentions got me to thinking about watch history. Back in the late 1800s -early 1900s, the Swiss made fakes of American watches. Yup, they copied us and were considered 3rd rate knockoffs of our superior American craftsmanship. Usually an American-sounding name, bad damaskeening, and lots of colorful fake jewels.

Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

ďThere's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.Ē - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spencer rifle View Post
    The Hamilton discussion and Swiss mentions got me to thinking about watch history. Back in the late 1800s -early 1900s, the Swiss made fakes of American watches. Yup, they copied us and were considered 3rd rate knockoffs of our superior American craftsmanship. Usually an American-sounding name, bad damaskeening, and lots of colorful fake jewels.

So, the Swiss were the original Chinese?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    Hamilton watches are iconic. From the 40ís forward, Hamilton has supplied watches to the military to keep time in the field, hence the Khaki Field moniker. Some of their styles are meh, but the Khaki Field is a piece of history.
    Agreed. If you're into field watches and on a budget, Hammy is the way to go. Just not my cup o' tea.

User Info Menu

Agreed. If you're into field watches and on a budget, Hammy is the way to go. Just not my cup o' tea.
    I was on a budget when I bought my Omega, and Omega budget, not a Rolex budget. I bought my Hamiltonís, because they were cool, couldíve bought more expensive, so I donít see them as budget watches, thatís where Citizen and Seiko come in to me. But, to each their own.
    Last edited by Vigilant; 03-08-2019 at 12:24.

User Info Menu

Seikos are more budget for the most part than hamilton. But if I'm going to recomend an entry level watch to someone above a couple hundred bucks ill start with hamilton. I agree that the seiko brand is iconic and important to horology but they just aren't my personal favorite. I still respect them for what they've accomplished. Seikos also have more expensive models, but ill stick with other brands
    Last edited by Trigger Time; 03-08-2019 at 13:27.
    CASH 4 GUITARS & AMPS. Fender & Gibson. PM me.
    NRA Patron Life Member

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast